X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The next improvement by GNOME

https://blogs.gnome.org/aday/2018/10...ication-menus/

The beginning:
    When app menus were first introduced, they were intended to play two main roles. First, they were supposed to contain application-level menu items, like Preferences, About and Quit. Secondly, they were supposed to indicate which app was focused.
    The end (proposed in 3.32):
    As a result of these issues, there’s a consensus that they should be removed.
    Kubuntu 20.04

Just so that doesn't happen over here.
    The next brick house on the left
    Intel i7 11th Gen | 16GB | 1TB | KDE Plasma 5.24.7 | Kubuntu 22.04.4 | 6.5.0-28-generic

Comment

Originally posted by jglen490 View Post
      Just so that doesn't happen over here.
      +1 ......
      "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
      – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

That might be alright for some applications that don't have much in the menu, but what about something like Libreoffice Writer or Inkscape? There are a lot of things in those menus. Are they going to go the route of the MS Office suite with the even confusing ribbon of meaningless icons? I wonder how this is going to work out... Hopefully KDE remains sane.

Comment

Looks like they are switching to a menu button much like some KDE apps have this already by default (Dolphin). The main difference seams to be in gnome does not have a menu bar option at all. The top menu was the only place it could be and now they just moved it to a button. In KDE apps with the button menu you can just hit ctrl+M to show the menu bar instead.
          Mark Your Solved Issues [SOLVED]
          (top of thread: thread tools)

Comment

In Kubuntu 18.04's Kate, Ctrl+M toggles the menu bar but there's no button like in Dolphin.
            Kubuntu 20.04

Comment

Originally posted by chimak111 View Post
              In Kubuntu 18.04's Kate, Ctrl+M toggles the menu bar but there's no button like in Dolphin.
              In all KDE applictions Ctrl+M toggles the menu bar. Kate (and others ) does not show a menu button if the bar is hidden.
              Mark Your Solved Issues [SOLVED]
              (top of thread: thread tools)

Comment

Damn, I use cinnamon, I may have to switch back to KDE

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk
                Registered Linux User 545823

Comment

in 14.04 for me in 14.04 and only when the app is not full screen and the mouse has been clicked outside of the app the keystrokes are "shift + M".

woodbutthenIrunoldstuffsmoke
                  sigpic
                  Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Comment

Working...
                  X