Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is there another reason for Linus stepping down?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is there another reason for Linus stepping down?

Twelve days ago Linus penned a lengthy addition to his release notice of the Linux 4.19-rc4 kernel. During a previous discussion about when and where the next Kernel Summit meeting would be held Linus suggested the meeting could take place without him. He was overruled, but apparently it got some people, including Linus, thinking and planning.
    I am going to take time off and get some assistance on how to understand people's emotions and respond appropriately.

Put another way: When asked at conferences, I occasionally talk about how the pain-points in kernel development have generally not been
    about the _technical_ issues, but about the inflection points where development flow and behavior changed.

These pain points have been about managing the flow of patches, and often been associated with big tooling changes - moving from making releases with "patches and tar-balls" (and the _very_ painful discussions about how "Linus doesn't scale" back 15+ years ago) to using BitKeeper, and then to having to write git in order to get past the point of that no longer working for us.
    To tie this all back to the actual 4.19-rc4 release (no, really, this is_ related!) I actually think that 4.19 is looking fairly good, things have gotten to the "calm" period of the release cycle, and I've talked to Greg to ask him if he'd mind finishing up 4.19 for me, so that I can take a break, and try to at least fix my own behavior.

This is not some kind of "I'm burnt out, I need to just go away" break. I'm not feeling like I don't want to continue maintaining Linux. Quite the reverse. I very much *do* want to continue to do this project that I've been working on for almost three decades.

This is more like the time I got out of kernel development for a while because I needed to write a little tool called "git". I need to take a break to get help on how to behave differently and fix some issues in my tooling and workflow.
    Many years ago Linus posted a "Code of Conflict".
    Code of Conflict
    ----------------

The Linux kernel development effort is a very personal process compared to "traditional" ways of developing software. Your code and ideas behind it will be carefully reviewed, often resulting in critique and criticism. The review will almost always require improvements to the code before it can be included in the kernel. Know that this happens because everyone involved wants to see the best possible solution for the overall success of Linux. This development process has been proven to create the most robust operating system kernel ever, and we do not want to do anything to cause the quality of submission and eventual result to ever decrease.

If however, anyone feels personally abused, threatened, or otherwise uncomfortable due to this process, that is not acceptable. If so,
    please contact the Linux Foundation's Technical Advisory Board at <tab@lists.linux-foundation.org>, or the individual members, and they
    will work to resolve the issue to the best of their ability. For more information on who is on the Technical Advisory Board and what their
    role is, please see: http://www.linuxfoundation.org/progr...y-councils/tab

As a reviewer of code, please strive to keep things civil and focused on the technical issues involved. We are all humans, and frustrations can be high on both sides of the process. Try to keep in mind the immortal words of Bill and Ted, "Be excellent to each other."
    What's changed? Linux kernel development has changed from a meritocracy base (which had no gender, religious or racial overtones) to one of political correctness, which does. To effect this change the Linux development project has adopted a Contributer's Covenant, adapted from the Code of Conduct.

The attack on Linus started in earnest five years ago when Sarah Sharp criticized his management style and made sex and racism an issue, while various social justice warrior sites began criticizing meritocracy as a method to obtain high quality code.
    (Sarah Sharp is the author of the Linux USB 3.0 host controller driver.)

Torvalds replied:
    Because if you want me to "act professional," I can tell you that I'm not interested. I'm sitting in my home office wearing a bathrobe. The same way I'm not going to start wearing ties, I'm *also* not going to buy into the fake politeness, the lying, the office politics and backstabbing, the passive aggressiveness, and the buzzwords. Because THAT is what "acting professionally" results in: people resort to all kinds of really nasty things because they are forced to act out their normal urges in unnatural ways.
    The correlation with Linus stepping down and the immediate adoption of a code of conduct has many Kernel developers concerned. A msg was posted on the Kernel mailing list telling developers that "Regarding those who are ejected from the Linux Kernel Community after this CoC:" they should consider as a group pulling their permission for using their GPL2 code in the kernel!
    The GPL version 2 lacks a no-rescission clause (the GPL version 3 has such a clause: to attempt furnish defendants with an estoppel defense, the Linux Kernel is licensed under version 2, however, as are the past contributions).

When the defendants ignore the rescission and continue using the plaintiff's code, the plaintiff can sue under the copyright statute.

Banned contributors _should_ do this (note: plaintiff is to register their copyright prior to filing suit, the copyright does not have to be registered at the time of the violation however)
    If a threat of this kind were acted upon by a group of banned kernel coders it could stop kernel development in its tracks, freezing the kernel at the last version released for as long as it would take the remaining developers to replace the missing code.

Eric S Raymond says that "the threat has teeth"
    First, let me confirm that this threat has teeth. I researched the relevant law when I was founding the Open Source Initiative. In the U.S. there is case law confirming that reputational losses relating to conversion of the rights of a contributor to a GPLed project are judicable in law. I do not know the case law outside the U.S., but in countries observing the Berne Convention without the U.S.'s opt-out of the "moral rights" clause, that clause probably gives the objectors an even stronger case.
    What we have now is a situation in which a subgroup within the Linux kernel's subculture threatens destructive revolt because not only do they think the slider been pushed too high in a normative direction, but because they think the CoC is an attempt to change the group's telos.

The first important thing to get is that this revolt is not really about any of the surface issues the CoC was written to address. It would be maximally unhelpful to accuse the anti-CoC people of being pro-sexism, or anti-minority, or whatever. Doing that can only inflame their sense that the group telos is being hijacked. They make it clear; they signed on to participate in a meritocracy with reputation rewards, and they think that is being taken way from them.
    Eric doesn't seem to understand that as of 2016 over 13,500 developers from more than 1,300 companies have contributed to the Linux kernel since tracking began 11 years ago. A s employees of those corporations they have to abide by that or a similar CoC anyway. If more independent kernel coders drop out then the kernel project will be totally under the control of corporations. Sadly, the number of unpaid developers continues its slow decline, as Linux kernel development proves an increasingly valuable skill sought by employers, ensuring experienced kernel developers do not stay unpaid for long.

Those in favor of the CoC claim it has been adopted by thousands of companies and development groups. Being adopted and being enforced are two different situations. There are probably lots of companies and groups that claim they have adopted the CoC just to avoid antagonizing the SJW's but don't enforce it. There are software companies that enforce and go beyond the "telos" or "ethos" of their employees or group and demand that a group member be fired even without proof of misdeeds based on accusations alone. Sound familiar?

Some have suggested that this is a political ploy designed to by Intel and others to take over control of the Kernel development.

My own view is that Torvalds was the victim of a political coup. I believe that Torvalds will pack up and move back to Finland and never engage in Linux kernel development again. despite his claim that his step down is "just for a while". He's been given stock options, large salaries and other monetary inducements in the past so if he has managed his finances correctly then after 20 years he should have enough to retire on, or start his own software company, or start another kernel, if he love working on kernels as much as he claims.
    Last edited by GreyGeek; Sep 28, 2018, 11:45 PM.
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Wow. I had read about this subject twice now, with no real depth. You might say you have suggested a way to connect the dots. And the picture the dots form is not a pretty one.
    https://madmage999.blogspot.com/

Comment

Well, I hope that Linus is being truthful and is only taking a sabbatical, but my gut feeling is that he has been forced out and doesn't see any support among the developers, who are all afraid of being called the usual ad homenims, so he's gone for good.
      "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”

Comment

Yes, well. The implications here are that Linux itself could be headed in an unpleasant direction if Linus has been forced out, and perhaps more importantly the why of that potential scenario.

If Linus is indeed out for good maybe he will begin work on a Linux 2.0?

--EDIT--

I wonder how long it would take for him to get somewhere given his current fame on a new kernel.

Comment

Good question. Remember that folks usually reach their intellectual maximum at around age 28, then begins the long decline. Is he past his prime? Is that part of his problem. He mentioned needed to "rethink his tools". Did he continue to use Emacs (or what ever tool he used) too long and became antiquated?

Comment

Following this trail of breadcrumbs, I note the purported changes in Microsoft with respect to Linux. I still believe they are planning on Embracing, Extending and Extinguishing (EEE). This makes any talk about Linux 2.0 Very Interesting... I'll watch this and see where it goes.
            Kubuntu 23.11 64bit under Kernel 6.8.8, Hp Pavilion, 6MB ram. All Bow To The Great Google... cough, hack, gasp.

Comment

Regardless of all that has been provided/posted here, am I correct in my understanding, that Linus is the sole owner (owns the Copyright) to the Linux Kernel?
              Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
              "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

All the hand-wringing in the world will not change what is happening. And what is happening is not really clear. So, be aware, but don't worry about things that are not in your purview to control. If he wants to rest, he can do that. But if Linus does sell or transfer something away from his control, that would be big news.
                The next brick house on the left
                Intel i7 11th Gen | 16GB | 1TB | KDE Plasma 5.24.7 | Kubuntu 22.04.4 | 6.5.0-28-generic

Comment

> Regardless of all that has been provided/posted here, am I correct in my understanding, that Linus is the sole owner (owns the Copyright) to the Linux Kernel?

My understanding is that he owns the trademark, but because Linux does not have a CLA with a copyright assignment clause, the copyrights remain with the contributors. That is why it is essentially impossible for Linux to be re-licensed as GPL v3, as it would require consent of ALL the contributors.
                  Last edited by mparillo; Sep 29, 2018, 09:31 AM. Reason: Added Context

Comment

Originally posted by jglen490 View Post
                    All the hand-wringing in the world will not change what is happening. And what is happening is not really clear. So, be aware, but don't worry about things that are not in your purview to control. If he wants to rest, he can do that. But if Linus does sell or transfer something away from his control, that would be big news.
                    Nice. So now some discussion of the news is "hand-wringing"?

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog View Post
                      Regardless of all that has been provided/posted here, am I correct in my understanding, that Linus is the sole owner (owns the Copyright) to the Linux Kernel?
                      A large majority of the kernel code is under the GPL v2. That means that those who contributed the code still own the copyright and can withdraw their code anytime they want. THAT is the sword hanging over the kernel. It is a serious threat.

This morning I ran across and article by Dedoimedo that describes, in a rather long but well written article, what happened to Linus as a two prong pincer attack. The first prong is the corporate paid developers being bound by politically inspired CoC terms, and pushing that adherence down the tree to independent developers. Those independent developers who signed on because of meritocracy will sign off just as quickly if someone who earns "participation trophies" for coding by getting their code selected because of PC and not merit. As a Walmart employee told me: "there are folks who sit around in the back room doing pot and surfing on their smartphones all day will others, with more integrity, do the work of two, but both get the same pay".

The second prong of the attack is:
                      The tech world is cruel. It's a battle. The survival of the fittest. The vast majority of productsthat dominate the market today are not a result of harmony and love. They are the survivors of numerous battles for market dominance where no one remembers the losers. It takes extraordinary personality to be at the top and withstand the stress of the public game, to be in constant spotlight, where your mixture of behavioral traits given to you by your mom and dad and the place where you grew up are given far more scrutiny than your intellectual output. And everyone just waiting for you to make one little mistake.

I hope Linus comes back. In the reality of the bland and fake, the world needs Linuses. Because in the end, it's about the freedom of expression, of intellectual creation, and if there isn't enough of the former, there cannot be enough of the latter, and in the long run, it will be the critical fissure that ruptures the vessel of open-source called Linux.
                      Consider this: with Linus, the supreme beneficial dictator, now out of the way, corporations are free to do what they want with the kernel. Consider how Google has treated individuals in their social websites, destroying accounts of those who do not conform to Google's view of politics. On top of that now add Fuchsia, Googles new, run on anything, run everything OS.
                      While Android and Chrome OS both use a heavily-modified version of the Linux kernel, Fuchsia is built from the ground up on a totally new micro-kernel named Zircon.
                      It doesn’t hurt that with a system it created all on its own, Google has more or less total control over how Zircon and Fuchsia evolve, both before and after it comes to market (if it ever comes at all). Google learned its lesson with Android, which is now heavily fractured at the consumer level thanks to its open source nature. Chrome OS is essentially locked-down by its licensing terms, even though it’s technically open source too. Fucshia, again open source, would presumably be controlled almost entirely by Google itself, even if it was running on hardware sold by partner companies.
                      With Microsoft using Linux in a VM under its own OS and Google leaving Linux for its own micro-kernel OS, it's no wonder that the very heart and soul of Linux, Linus himself, came under what can, IMO, BEST be explained as a political attack designed to remove him from control of the Linux kernel. It has worked. Will Linus still remain tied to the Linux Foundation, which pays him a salary and thus can pull his strings if he "gets out of line", or does he have the financial freedom or will to resign from the Foundation and free himself from its control? Time will tell.

During the last 20 years I have never read a single story about Linus that proved sexual or racial bias for or against anyone. Some have tried but until recently none of the accusations have worked. No one can bring up anything he wrote where he said "X aren't smart enough to do Y", where X is any gender or ethnic group and Y is any task. He has rejected code submitted for merging into the kernel by telling the submitter the honest trugh: "this code sucks", which is short and to the point. He doesn't have time to explain to any particular submitter how to write good code. Linus was totally about meritocracy, and that is exactly how companies that do not depend on government welfare hire, fire and work. One doesn't get a "Participation Trophy" at work if the company they are working it is serious about being competitive and remaining in business. But some coders decided, apparently, to get revenge and used the current PC atmosphere to do it. One could theorize that a #MeToo accusation has surfaced and to protect his family from the kind of abuse that Judge Kavenaugh experienced at the just concluding "hearings" Linus decided to quit. It would be a sad ending to an illustrious 27 year career.

IF those who become victims of this CoC decide to split their code out of the kernel Google couldn't care less. They have Zircon.

After rescinding their GPL2 approval, IF those victims take those who continue to use the Linux kernel to court and win, activity on the kernel would cease. Sure, they could lose in court, but if the SCO affair showed us anything it showed us that the legal system is very slow and oscillates wildly between sides. During that period of uncertainty (the legal proceedings started in 2003 and concluded in 2016 but for 5 years things were iffy) businesses and independents might decide that the risk is to great and move to one of the versions of BSD, but that would be like moving to a desert island. There are at least three separate flavors of BSD and each is wedded to its own specific BSD kernel. That is why it never has and never will be as successful as Linux. Even now to use FreeBSD, NetBSD or OpenBSD is to step back in time 10-15 years when compared to the current stage of a modern Linux distro.

Another outcome is that the 1,300 companies that have submitted code to the Linux kernel could pool some money and buy off the CoC victims, provided they sign NDAs. It probably would be much cheaper than litigation.

However, I think that for the most part you can not find a stronger group of people who live by their convictions than the independent Linux kernel developers who are not paid to write code for the kernel. It is a labor of love and they'd be insulted to take money to bury their convictions. THOSE are the CoC victims who would use a scorched earth policy.

It will probably take two or three years for all of this to play out, but I doubt that we've heard the last from the CoC crowd. If Linus never comes back then Linux as we have known it is, IMO, toast. If Linus takes only a year or so to get "reprogrammed" and shows proper contrition to his string pullers he might be allowed to assist the new kinder, gentler dictator, Greg Korah-Hartman.
                      Last edited by GreyGeek; Sep 29, 2018, 05:08 PM.

Comment

Very well elucidated. Thank you.

Comment

I don't think that a hiatus by Linus will adversely affect the Linux Kernel. Am I not correct, that Linus, and Linus alone, controls 'when' a kernel will be released? If he doesn't say "Go", then it doesn't happen.
                          Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
                          "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

An article which speaks to this thread topic:

https://www.zdnet.com/article/linus-...in-bbc-letter/

Linus' message is NOT presented as a whole document but rather is broken apart and analyzed by the author of the article. I can't say that we are seeing the entire response from Torvalds.
                            Kubuntu 23.11 64bit under Kernel 6.8.8, Hp Pavilion, 6MB ram. All Bow To The Great Google... cough, hack, gasp.

Comment

Well I imagine I am not alone in hoping that nothing drastically changes as a result of these events. But to say that it definitely won't seems premature, the author of that article must have a crystal ball.

In any case, we are merely discussing possibilities and implications of what we are hearing. I am not saying that anything WILL or not.

Comment

Working...
                              X