This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Microsoft moving to Linux?

I was partly tongue-in-cheek when I said in a previous post that Microsoft, sometime in the future, will convert to using Linux as its base OS.

That future is now!

https://www.zdnet.com/article/linux-...minates-azure/

Today, Scott Guthrie, Microsoft's executive vice president of the cloud and enterprise group, said in an interview, "Slightly over half of Azure VMs are Linux.

That's right. Microsoft's prize cloud, Linux, not Windows Server, is now the most popular operating system. Windows Server isn't going to be making a come back.

"Every month, Linux goes up," Guthrie said.

And it's not just Azure users who are turning to Linux.

"Native Azure services are often running on Linux," Guthrie added. "Microsoft is building more of these services. For example, Azure's Software Defined Network (SDN) is based on Linux."

It's not just on Azure that Microsoft is embracing Linux. "Look at our simultaneous release of SQL Server on Linux. All of our projects now run on Linux," Guthrie said.

LOL! I guess Linux isn't a cancer any more!

BUT, don't be misled. These are Linux VM's running on WIndows. For the best safety and performance it should be the other way around. When folks run those VMs and realize that they don't have to use a VM, they can get their favorite Linux VM for free and install it to hardware, then it will be "Abandon Ship" for windows users. In the process they'll save the money they would have spent for Windows, Word, Office, etc... They'll save hundreds of dollars.
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Nah, I think you just called it.

I'm really not that surprised after the smoochy attitude Microsoft has developed towards Linux.
    https://madmage999.blogspot.com/

Comment

Im guessing that you can choose your platform on Azure. You can on other similar services. Nobody in their right mind would choose to host a cloud platform/web service on a Windows server. I feel dizzy and sick just thinking about it.

Comment

Originally posted by whatthefunk View Post
        Im guessing that you can choose your platform on Azure. You can on other similar services. Nobody in their right mind would choose to host a cloud platform/web service on a Windows server. I feel dizzy and sick just thinking about it.

Right?
        https://madmage999.blogspot.com/

Comment

I think that I can offer a sidelight which "may" reveal M$'s nefarious intentions.

As WE ALL KNOW..."Linux people are command line people". EVERYBODY knows that...

Well one can use a terminal in Windblows but...

Microshaft has to somehow make such a move seem "cool" and "hip"...

and I think that I have figured out how they might be trying to convince their users that they are on the way to being cool and hip.

The college has given up all pretence of being in any way interested in MAC, and they obsessively update windblows to the latest version every few weeks...

The college is now heavily invested in Win10.

For one to "log out"

one has to use CTRL-ALT-Delete to invoke a popup window wherein there is a mouse clickable button to...log out...

now THAT is REAL CLI... Windblows users are on the CUSP of being real hackers!!

What is pitiful is the number of COLLEGE PROFESSORS WITH PFUDS who cannot even do THAT ...and just turn the computer OFF!! So that the next poor user has to TURN IT ON at the beginning of class. sheesh..

woodctrlaltdelsmoke
          sigpic
          Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Comment

Originally posted by whatthefunk View Post
            Good guess. They are offering eight Linux distros.
            https://www.zdnet.com/article/linux-...-your-choices/
            "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
            – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Working...
            X