This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Someone once posted that Microsoft ...

a few weeks ago on another forum that Windows will be a Linux distro in 10 years.

M$ is now half-way there using Bionic:
    https://www.zdnet.com/article/linux-...ays-microsoft/

The next step will be to switch rolls: Win10 will be on the Hyper-V of Bionic, which is the more logical and safer configuration.

It seems to suggest that either M$ is trying to prevent its customer base from trying Linux, or it is moving to Linux to save its customer base.
    Last edited by GreyGeek; Sep 19, 2018, 11:41 AM.
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

I think they're doing what they always do. Embrace the technology, extend it with new features, and extinguish it with legalities and logistics. The exact how isn't clear yet, but I imagine that is the aim.
    https://madmage999.blogspot.com/

Comment

I suspect something like this will happen

Microsoft will use release a linux based distro
      It will include their own DE so it looks like windows still.
      It will include their own Wine like system to run legacy windows software.
      It will be the New Windows from the New Microsoft. The cost will remain about the same.
      They will use their new distro as a new weapon in their patent trolling.
      Mark Your Solved Issues [SOLVED]
      (top of thread: thread tools)

Comment

Well, if one thinks of it... MS is supposedly quickly, or slowly, moving to a subscription model which would be...continually updated, kind of like Linux Rolling Release except that instead of a "new bake" with a "new name or version or number" since almost NO Windblows users actually LOOK at the version number, MS could just "rebrand" all of the obvious stuff with a new lable, icons, etc.

I get the same old stuff almost yearly about using a Presentation made using either my MS Powerpoint(tm) DVD which is considered illegal because it is the original version.

And also using slides made by Impress.

MS uses the "htmlx" to "add white sheets" on top of slides and says that they were corrupted and had to fix them. The size of the file increases. One can take it back home and it runs fine.

I got into a huge discussion elsewhere that even though I set permissions to "read only" and was told that "if the OS can "see" " the thing then it is amenable to being changed no matter what.

One can strip out the offending data ( it is a data set not an actual image of white paper) and again, it works fine with Windblows until Windblows tries to change it.

So, I , personally think that what the Sithlord stated is what will happen and MS will keep on keeping on sueing, irritating, moving, shifting, whatever to obliterate, or co-opt the competition.

woodsmoke
        sigpic
        Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Comment

So, M$'s dev crew will evolve into a den of lawyers! Makes sense.
          "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
          – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek View Post
            So, M$'s dev crew will evolve into a den of lawyers! Makes sense.
            MS Motto: If you can't beat em, sue em?

Comment

If I understand it right M$ will adopt the core linux and forcefully to be the new face of linux and eventually will sue who copy and distributed linux? hahaha
              doss soundbox touch

Comment

Errr, no. Microsoft has a long history of using any and all tactics they can, lawsuits are just part of that. This is not uncommon knowledge if you pay attention or GTS. But you do you.

Comment

Originally posted by g.lex View Post
                  If I understand it right M$ will adopt the core linux and forcefully to be the new face of linux and eventually will sue who copy and distributed linux? hahaha
                  They already have been doing it with android devices. In 2015 alone they collected 6 billion in "royalties" from vendors selling android devices.
                  Mark Your Solved Issues [SOLVED]
                  (top of thread: thread tools)

Comment

Originally posted by g.lex View Post
                    After re-reading this post I think I might have been unfair to you. I took it in a bad light, but I think you probably were just being friendly. If so I apologize, my bad.

Comment

Microsoft will do anything, buy anything, pilfer anything, bulldoze anything to have the one and only OS in the world. It's been their business model from Day One. You're welcome to see things differently, but I for one do not trust Microsoft to do anything to change that model, nor do anything to be kind to Linux.

Bill Gates may now be the kinder, gentler version of himself who does a lot of good with his billion$, but he used a particular business model to get himself to this point in life.
                      The next brick house on the left
                      Intel i7 11th Gen | 16GB | 1TB | KDE Plasma 5.24.7 | Kubuntu 22.04.4 | 6.5.0-28-generic

Comment

Working...
                      X