X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Facebook pressuring banks for customer private info

https://www.theverge.com/2018/9/18/1...cy-advertising

... a new report from The Wall Street Journal todayindicates that Facebook also saw its Messenger platform as a siphon for the sensitive financial data of its users, information it would not otherwise have access to unless a customer interacted with, say, a banking institution over chat.

In the wake of the Cambridge Analytica scandal, in which as many as 87 million Facebook users’ personal information was packaged and sold to a data mining firm, Facebook is still reeling over the unintended side effects of its growth-at-all-costs mindset and its unabated hunger for ever-more personal data from its 2.2 billion-person user base. The company is currently trying to regain user trust following the scandal, as well as reckon with its current influence on worldwide election processes, the news industry, and the spread of false and dangerous misinformation that has led to real-world violence in India, Mynamar, and elsewhere.

How would "Messenger" siphon off bank data? By convincing banks to allow Messenger to do be the go between for financial transactions between you and your bank. Will FB keep track of what you buy with your debit or credit card? Is the Pope Catholic?

Will they attempt, sometime in the future, to block or refuse any transactions that do not comply with the political positions of Jeff? Of course! FB is blocking non-compliant political views for the last few years. Want to buy a new handgun for personal protection? Sorry, Messenger won't let you do that. Want to donate to Conservative causes? Sorry, FB won't allow that on the excuse that you are supporting "hate speech", which they never define but certainly use frequently as the excuse to deplatform some people.

So, if you don't have a FB account, and don't want your bank giving Jeff Zukerberg your financial data, what do you do? Write your bank and tell them specifically that you do NOT want FB's "Messenger" to be a middleman between you and them.
    Last edited by GreyGeek; Sep 19, 2018, 10:12 AM.
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

simply do not be stupid and use FB-mesenger for anything but facebook .

and do not go to your bank online except through a web browser and just through your banks website .

I don't even stay logged into facebook when I am going to go to my banks site and check the balance .

VINNY
    i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
    16GB RAM
    Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Originally posted by vinnywright View Post
      simply do not be stupid and use FB-mesenger for anything but facebook .

and do not go to your bank online except through a web browser and just through your banks website .

I don't even stay logged into facebook when I am going to go to my banks site and check the balance .

VINNY
      Apparently I wasn't clear enough.

Facebook launched a Messenger Payments service in 2015 and it doesn’t break out Messenger Payments volume. About 91% of FB users, when asked if they'd use the service, said no. So Messenger Payments has been a big bust. Unable to sell it to his FB user base, Zuckerberg is talking to banks to get them to join their Messenger platform and share user information with them to facilitate some services. Zuckerberg is putting all his eggs into his Messenger app. By getting the banks and other financial institutions to jump on board Messenger, Zuckerberg hopes to bypass the wishes of 91% of FB users.

https://www.wired.co.uk/article/insi...book-messenger

Messenger began as a simple messaging app for iOS and Android in August 2011. In April 2014, it was separated from the main Facebook app; users would have to download it separately to collect mobile messages. Some questioned why the company was competing with its own acquisition, WhatsApp, bought two months earlier for what was then $19 billion (£12.5bn). But over the next year, as WhatsApp remained lean, Messengerfunctionality kept growing - video and voice calls, peer-to-peer payments, location-sharing - even as its use was made independent of a Facebook account.

And then, at F8, Zuckerberg revealed his cards. "Until now, we've focused on improving Messenger by building all these features ourselves," he declared. "Today we're going to talk about the next step. We're introducing Messenger Platform." Messenger would be opened to outside developers - initially 40 pre-selected partners, including ESPN, Giphy, Boostr, Dubsmash and Talking Tom - to build new "tools for expression" that would let users create and share content inside the app. But Messenger would also, he revealed, let users communicate with businesses just as if they were friends - through simple conversation threads that would let them "make a reservation, buy something, change shipping information..."

In a statement provided by Facebook, Zuckerberg explains that building Messenger into a broader, more comprehensive communications tool is key to his wider strategy for Facebook. "Our goal is to help everyone around the world connect. It's a pretty broad goal, but we want everything we do to tie back to that," he says. "It's a big space. There are lots of different ways that people want to share and communicate. In a lot of countries, as much as 99 per cent of the people online will use SMS or send text messages - with people sending 15-20 messages or more every single day." Which makes Messenger "one of the fastest growing and most important members of our family".
      IF your bank decides to sign on to Messenger what's your option? Switch banks? What if all of them do? Go cash and money orders?
      "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”

Comment

That's nothing. The EU does that much better. They simply made a law banks are obligated to open their user data for third parties. See for example
        https://www.cnbc.com/2017/12/25/psd2...ing-rules.html
        The customer has to give permission, but of course 99,9% will do that, because "it's sooooo handy I can pay via FaceBook".
        And I wouldn't be surprised if they drop the permission some years from here...

Going to another bank? Every bank in the EU is forced to do this.
        Paying cash? Norway is planning to stop with cash money, Sweden possibly too. Other countries will follow.
        Here in The Netherlands there are more and more shops etc. you can only pay with a pinpas (kind of debit card), so without a bank you simply can't shop there. There are even more and more city halls you can't pay cash anymore.

I myself always pin money at the bank for some time and then pay cash. because I don't want to pin in shops etc. (If you use your pinpas, they know exactly what you've bought when and where.) Almost everybody thinks I'm a bit crazy. It's sooooo handy, paying with debit card or contactless.

The law forcing banks to open their data is passed. Takes some time to make a law for every country, but there's no way you can stop it. And I'm sure in some time they'll simply do it without permission. Actually the biggest bank of The Netherlands (ING) already planned to do that about two years ago, even before this law. But there was so much protest, they stopped it.

O, and this is the same EU that made the GDPR. Funny, isn't it?
        Last edited by Goeroeboeroe; Sep 19, 2018, 06:29 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek View Post
          IF your bank decides to sign on to Messenger what's your option? Switch banks? What if all of them do? Go cash and money orders?
          I will go to the bank and have them take me off the online banking service and just use the ATM's and cash back at food lion

VINNY
          16GB RAM

Comment

I will go to the bank and have them take me off the online banking service and just use the ATM's and cash back at food lion

VINNY
            The banks will use Messenger to interface between their ATMs and the Bank, so FB wins there, too. And, if Zukerberg gets his wish the Food Lion cashier stations will be using Messenger.

Comment

Originally posted by Goeroeboeroe View Post
              That's nothing. The EU does that much better. They simply made a law banks are obligated to open their user data for third parties. See for example
              https://www.cnbc.com/2017/12/25/psd2...ing-rules.html
              The customer has to give permission, but of course 99,9% will do that, because "it's sooooo handy I can pay via FaceBook".
              And I wouldn't be surprised if they drop the permission some years from here...

Going to another bank? Every bank in the EU is forced to do this.
              Paying cash? Norway is planning to stop with cash money, Sweden possibly too. Other countries will follow.
              Here in The Netherlands there are more and more shops etc. you can only pay with a pinpas (kind of debit card), so without a bank you simply can't shop there. There are even more and more city halls you can't pay cash anymore.

I myself always pin money at the bank for some time and then pay cash. because I don't want to pin in shops etc. (If you use your pinpas, they know exactly what you've bought when and where.) Almost everybody thinks I'm a bit crazy. It's sooooo handy, paying with debit card or contactless.

The law forcing banks to open their data is passed. Takes some time to make a law for every country, but there's no way you can stop it. And I'm sure in some time they'll simply do it without permission. Actually the biggest bank of The Netherlands (ING) already planned to do that about two years ago, even before this law. But there was so much protest, they stopped it.

O, and this is the same EU that made the GDPR. Funny, isn't it?
              A lot of people in the USA keep a small amount of cash in their bank account so that they can use the bank to cash their income checks. They keep their money at home and/or on their person and always pay bills and buy food and fuel using cash, thinking that they can't be tracked. They are wrong. When they do business by cash at most stores their photo is taken along with the time. A copy of the register receipt is stored on the store's computers, which are usually part of a big chain, with the data going to central computers, accessible by any gov agent anywhere in the country. Investigators can scan the TV monitor tapes to identify the person and note the time and cashier number, which identifies the computer record containing what was purchased. That allows them to track where a person shops and what he buys anywhere in the country. New AI image recognition allows them to search central databases for pictures of a person very quickly. With that pic comes the record of the list of shops and purchases since that info began being saved.

As networks and computers and algorithms get faster faster interactions between store clerks and central computers will be so fast as to flag the cashier that Joe Sixpack is attempting to buy something that is illegal to buy. Who made it illegal? An un-elected gov bureaucrat. Already credit card companies are canceling accounts for businesses buying and selling politically incorrect objects or services.

Comment

then Satan has had his way ,,, we are all marked with the number , and the first seal of the Apocalypse has been opened.

VINNY
                16GB RAM

Comment

I will mention a side light to this for using Messenger to be a go-between.

I just filled out TWO online apps for a part time job with nationwide compaies and BOTH offered to let me log in using Facebook and warned me that they would harvest my personal data to fill out the application! :0

so...sorry to say I don't have any personal info on FB so I chose to opt out. And I don't have indentifiable face pics either, even when I am posting some kind of group activity I smudge the faces. lol.
                  sigpic
                  Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Comment

then Satan has had his way ,,, we are all marked with the number , and the first seal of the Apocalypse has been opened.

VINNY
                    LOL!

Citing an album by Iron Maiden? When I was teaching physics and chem in college I was into heavy metal. Still like a good bass guitar.

Actually, the number 666 is the number of the "Beast". Those following after the Beast are marked in their forehead and hand with his seal, not a number. I.E., they are his followers by what they believe/think (forehead) or by what they do (hand). Rev 13. (Or, perhaps the number is 616 ) Gematria and numerology is used in attempts to identify a person, but perhaps it is the office that is referenced. Every person holding the office has the title. And folks down through the ages can identify the office, even if past office holders are long dead. (I have a major in Bible and a minor in Koine Greek, but I only use that training for personal use, except in this instance -- I couldn't resist! )

Comment

So then what happens when your smart car calls the cops on you because it saw something suspicious? Hahaha. Boy, not even funny. The future is coming and it don;t look pretty.
                      https://madmage999.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by MadMage999 View Post
                        So then what happens when your smart car calls the cops on you because it saw something suspicious? Hahaha. Boy, not even funny. The future is coming and it don;t look pretty.
                        I think it's already been reported that the "on star" thing and the ford version , you know that "service" that you can push a button on your rear view mirror and get a help Representative can listen in on you even when it's not been activated .

and the on board computers in really smart cars have been hacked and the hacker could drive you right off the road by activating the brakes on just one side .

yes it dose not look pretty indeed , and don't get me started on smart homes and alexa ,,,,,, one of the largest recent DDoS attacks was carried out by large numbers of hacked internet connected home surveillance cameras

VINNY
                        16GB RAM

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek View Post
                          LOL!

Citing an album by Iron Maiden? When I was teaching physics and chem in college I was into heavy metal. Still like a good bass guitar.
                          Iron Maiden ,,,,,,you shock me GG I would not have thought you could pull that out your hat .
                          O I used to listen to them a lot back in the day ,,,,,,,now I just gotta go spotify that .

VINNY
                          16GB RAM

Comment

One can do a lot of things during 77 years.

I'm still listening to the Beatles, Boston, Judas Priest, Mozart, Country & Western.... or I used to before my hearing went south.

Comment

In the EU from the 1st of April 2018 every new car has to have 'e-call'. In case of an accident your GPS. etc are automatically sent to emergency services etc. With some more information like amount of passengers. Of course they are never ever going to use that system for tracking...

Here in The Netherlands there are cameras everywhere reading license plates. They were only used for speeding, when installed.
                              At the moment they are used for taxes (driving for business you pay other taxes or something like that then driving private). They are used in cities like Amsterdam to give you a fine when you enter the city in a too old car (to prevent air pollution). There's an experiment now in Roermond (a small city) where they watch which cars are entering the city and based on some things like amount of passengers, type of car, etc. try to predict if it are possibly criminals entering the city. If that's the case they'll stop and investigate you.
                              Like I said: when they installed those cameras, they swore they were only going to be used for speeding...
                              Last edited by Goeroeboeroe; Sep 22, 2018, 06:14 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X