This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Linus taking a break

This is breaking news from Linus see here: https://itsfoss.com/torvalds-takes-a-break-from-linux/
    Last edited by kc1di; Sep 17, 2018, 12:44 PM.
    Dave Kubuntu 20.04 Registered Linux User #462608

Wireless Script: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...5#post12350385

I read that. My first question was "will Linus come back?"
    He says he will, but I suspect that he won't.

Early retirement? He's earned it!
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Well, cognitive-emotive-behavioral therapy is a learn-able skill, if he goes that route and not into some sort of archeology (Freudian psychoanalysis comes to mind there).
      An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

I Wish Him well and hope he returns quickly, but calmer.
        Dave Kubuntu 20.04 Registered Linux User #462608

Wireless Script: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...5#post12350385

Comment

Starting out with Linux being open sourced under the GPL said a lot about his calmness and open mindedness at the beginning. He's been in the pressure cooker for 26 years and probably has encountered all sorts of personalities and egos, some even pathological. How many times do you get treated like dirt by NVidia or Intel before you call them out in public and flip them the bird? I think that for the most part he's been very restrained, except that he has nearly zero tolerance for stupidity and I can't blame him for that. Linux is too important in too many ways to let stupidity intervene.

I don't know how he has been able to keep it up this long without cracking.
          Thanks for all the fish, Linus!
          "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
          – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Everyone needs a mental health break, even a few minutes daily, or some hours weekly, or a mental health day now and then; as well as breaks for meditation (your way), deep breathing, exercise, and perspective gathering. Last time I checked, it was called "being human" -- which you can find under the owner's manual for "human being."
            An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Ill take another tack...

how many people "in Linux" have experienced a cognitive dissonance for WHATEVER reasons...?

I can think of two dear friends...One who literally just LEFT LINUX... LEFT IT...

and YEAH...there are MANY in these august forums which would opine that I...the woodsmoker, has suffered several such...

ok...

before casting a stone...

CONSIDER YOURSELF...

the HOURS that you put in installing an OS, getting an app to work, RAILING AT THE SYSTEM...

YOU WON'T TAKE IT ANY MORE...

because Akonadai or Kmail doesn't WORK!!!

and...what can one do except "shake our fists at the night"...?

and...take a break...possibly...never to reappear...

THERE ARE SO MANY PEOPLE WHO...RANT AND RAVE AND SCREAM...I...am correct and you are just stupid/evil DO NOT KNOW HOW TO form an embedded for-next loop in RPG...

It is THEIR WAY THEIR WAY THEIR WAY...

It used to be that Ubuntu was about "community" which implies amicus...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ubuntu_philosophy

I have made hundreds of computers to donate with Linux on them and when a store found out was kicked out...

i have done several "install parties" for a "certain Linux" and was IGNORED because I was from ...eww...the ...UNITED...STAATES...

I am neither liberal or conservative but both sides shout at me...

conider Torvalds just trying to get "certain parties" to come together on "code"...

EVERYONE ON THIS FORUM is Torvalds...maybe...

A certain longbearded old one was PASSIONATE and STILL IS PASSIONATE...but eventually...

Smaug...and the Orcs...and those things down in the underground just "wear one down"...

Torvalds is PASSIONATE...the "not passionate" people just use being "non-passionate" as a way to DEFLECT...and SEEM SUPERIOR TO THE REST OF US DOOFS,...

If Torvalds had not been "passionate" then...WE...would not be here now...because the ...

NON-PASSIONATE..."aloof" ..."observers"...can just walk away.

But WHO...WHO..."comes back"...with an apology to the PEOPLE WHO WILL HAVE IT THEIR WAY

TO THE DESTRUCTION OF ALL ELSE...

Who...offers a palm leaf...who... steps away...and later comes back...?

woodcommiseratessmoke
              Last edited by woodsmoke; Sep 19, 2018, 12:16 AM.
              sigpic
              Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Comment

Working...
              X