• Show
Clear All

256GB Sandisk USB 3.0 for ...

$48 at Walmart today.

Amazon is selling it for $61

https://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-Ultra.../dp/B00YFI1A66

And it's USB 2.0 counter part for $40

https://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-Cruze.../dp/B01EHG3GVM

Haven't priced 256GGB USB sticks before. Don't know if these are good prices or not.
    Last edited by GreyGeek; Aug 16, 2018, 02:35 PM.
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

The price drop in those things have been amazing. It was not long ago that I was paying $20 for a 16 gb Sandisk usb stick.

Comment

Originally posted by KBD47 View Post
      The price drop in those things have been amazing. It was not long ago that I was paying $20 for a 16 gb Sandisk usb stick.
      That's what I've heard. I noticed that a Samsung EVO Pro 500 GB SSD sells for $117 at Amazon. Two of the USB 3 version of the 256GB Sandisk would be 512GB and I've got a USB 3.0 passive hub. I wonder how fast they'd work and if it would be useful to add to my Btrfs pool on occasions.

EDIT: correction. The Samsung 860 EVO 500GB SSD is now $107
      https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-500GB...=ATVPDKIKX0DER
      Last edited by GreyGeek; Aug 16, 2018, 02:41 PM.
      "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek View Post
        That's what I've heard. I noticed that a Samsung EVO Pro 500 GB SSD sells for $117 at Amazon. Two of the USB 3 version of the 256GB Sandisk would be 512GB and I've got a USB 3.0 passive hub. I wonder how fast they'd work and if it would be useful to add to my Btrfs pool on occasions.

I've got several SSD's wish listed at Amazon in the $50 price range.
        This one for instance:
        https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01F9G43WU...v_ov_lig_dp_it
        They are almost at parity with hard drive prices now.

Comment

Originally posted by KBD47 View Post
          I've got several SSD's wish listed at Amazon in the $50 price range.
          This one for instance:
          https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01F9G43WU...v_ov_lig_dp_it
          They are almost at parity with hard drive prices now.
          Sandisk is a good product. I recently installed my first SSD device and it is so significantly faster than any HD i've owned that I will not be returned to spinning medium. Booting in 15 seconds is so fast that using suspend or hibernation is unnecessary, IMO.

Comment

Yes, Hard Drives are on the way out, especially as SSD prices continue to drop. I have an SSD in a small Linux laptop with 2gb ram and it boots faster than my other 4 laptops with much more ram.
            Edit: changed SSD's to Hard Drives at beginning of sentence.
            Last edited by KBD47; Aug 17, 2018, 10:26 AM. Reason: correction.

Comment

Yes, the prices of SSD's have certainly fallen.

Three years ago I bought a new Crucial (128Gb) SSD for ~$NZ120. I had a look recently at the same suppliers site I bought it from and was amazed I could buy a similar sized SSD (Transcend SSD220S 120Gb) for just $NZ57 including delivery. I bought the drive for my old HP EliteBook laptop and swapped out the not-so-old Seagate 500Gb HDD (running Linux Mint KDE) and installed Deepin 15.6 on it in ten minutes. Probably the quickest install I've ever done. The drive is silent and very fast. Deepin isn't too shabby too!
              Desktop PC: Intel Core-i5-4670 3.40Ghz, 16Gb Crucial ram, Asus H97-Plus MB, 128Gb Crucial SSD + 2Tb Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 HDD running Kubuntu 18.04 LTS and Kubuntu 14.04 LTS (on SSD).
              Laptop: HP EliteBook 8460p Core-i5-2540M, 4Gb ram, Transcend 120Gb SSD, currently running Deepin 15.8 and Manjaro KDE 18.

Comment

They would not be fast. useable, but not fast. Like MicroSD and SSD, there is a wide difference in how fast they are. They won't be anywhere as fast as even a slow ssd, but again, still usable.
                I investigated and found a really fast USB stick for my Chromebook so i can dual boot but still have decent space left over. All the USB3 sticks I have (many) were dog slow at running an OS.

This one works really well, as read speeds are pretty nice. I see there is a new version, which offers a 256 variant (mine is a 64gb) for $60 that is rated a little slower than my previous gen stick, but I might go with a 128, as I tend to live light This Sandisk one should be significantly faster than the one you found. It does get warm, though. I got my 64gb for 19 bucks a year and a half ago.

if you read the Amazon reviews, there usually are a number of intrepid users who test these and post real-world results in their reviews. There are also regular speed tests on various websites. I used both of these to choose the one I got.

Comment

I've had excellent luck over the years using Sandisk usb sticks to run and test full installs of Linux OS's. The larger Sandisk Cruzer sticks have all worked well, the Glide and even the newer Blade are good. The tiny compact versions quickly build up heat and I destroyed one trying to run an OS on it. Off brands are unusable for such purposes. I once bought a Toshiba usb stick that was completely unusable it was so slow.

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh View Post
                    They would not be fast. useable, but not fast. Like MicroSD and SSD, there is a wide difference in how fast they are. They won't be anywhere as fast as even a slow ssd, but again, still usable.
                    I investigated and found a really fast USB stick for my Chromebook so i can dual boot but still have decent space left over. All the USB3 sticks I have (many) were dog slow at running an OS.

This one works really well, as read speeds are pretty nice. I see there is a new version, which offers a 256 variant (mine is a 64gb) for $60 that is rated a little slower than my previous gen stick, but I might go with a 128, as I tend to live light This Sandisk one should be significantly faster than the one you found. It does get warm, though. I got my 64gb for 19 bucks a year and a half ago.

if you read the Amazon reviews, there usually are a number of intrepid users who test these and post real-world results in their reviews. There are also regular speed tests on various websites. I used both of these to choose the one I got.
                    Your link led to a new version of it:
                    https://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-128GB..._title_ce?th=1

Comment

Your link led to a new version of it:
                      https://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-128GB..._title_ce?th=1
                      Ya, I forgetted to add the link to it lol

These will be faster and more useful for something used more heavily than the other sticks. I am using mine to run Neon on my Chromebook(s) for a year and a half now. Like I mentioned, it does get warm, but not hot, as some reviewers have reported. The small size for me is key as I can't sling a laptop around with a stubby thing hanging out of it. That and my older Chromebook lacks an sd card slot....
                      It is in my new one, because it Just Works, and I don't have any spare speedy fast microsd cards left to use at the moment, to see how fast those are.

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh View Post
                        Ya, I forgetted to add the link to it lol
                        Ha ha ha -- 5 days later, and look again --- it's down to $58!

Comment

Working...
                        X