X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

WWV to be shut down

https://www.nist.gov/director/fy-201...um-science-and

Illustrative program reductions in FY 2019

• -$6.3 million supporting fundamental measurement dissemination, including the shutdown of NIST radio stations in Colorado and Hawaii

I didn't notice this when it was posted in an obscure place on the web six months ago. And, there is no link to any comment section or email address to which one can post an objection.

So, in four months the solar powered atomic watch I've worn for the last six years will no longer be able to keep correct time. Neither will the atomic clock on the wall of our kitchen nor the atomic clock on the bathroom counter.

I wonder how many businesses use signals from WWV and WWVB to coordinate their clocks and business functions. I suggest that the folks who thought up that not so brilliant idea of shutting down WWV and WWVB didn't think it through.

I thought that the NIST also broadcast an Internet timing signal, but this appears not to be true:

Why can't I hear WWV/WWVH on the Internet?

NIST has considered streaming the audio from WWV/WWVH via the Internet, but because of audio buffering, the time announcement could be several seconds off and would vary for different users. However, the idea is still under consideration.

So, goodbye Atomic Clocks. It has been nice. Sorry it won't last.

However, the Network Time Protocol has 231 Stratum 1 servers around the world supplying Internet time. 74 of those servers use WWV or WWVB. The rest use GPS, a Cesium clock or satellites.

https://www.eecis.udel.edu/~mills/da...rs/survey5.pdf
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

This is what happens when people don't understand the usefulness of basic science, research into esoteric subjects, and how that science impacts and informs the rest of the world and the people in it. Also, that government agencies can have an important function in encouraging and implementing scientific research. This is really bad.

When we pool our resources, good things happen that far exceed the pool.
    Last edited by jglen490; Aug 15, 2018, 08:02 PM.
    The next brick house on the left
    Intel i7 11th Gen | 16GB | 1TB | KDE Plasma 5.27.11​| Kubuntu 24.04 | 6.8.0-31-generic

Comment

Working...
    X