This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How Microsoft Can Truly Show that it Loves Linux

There have been reports that Microsoft is starting to “Love Linux”, For example, Microsoft is now a Platinum Member of the Linux Foundation, eg: https://www.linuxfoundation.org/pres...atinum-member/#

The Register has also listed other Microsoft contributions in their article:
    https://www.theregister.co.uk/2018/0...osoft_wsl_oss/

In addition Miscrosoft has developed Skype for Linux and I frequently get updates to this package. See: https://blogs.skype.com/news/2017/03...-for-download/

These activities have an ulterior business motive to suite their financial gains.

The action that Microsoft meeds to make to convince me that they truly LOVE LINUX is for them to change the installation procedures of their new operating systems, that is
    • NOT USE THE WHOLE DISK REGARDLESS.
    • CHANGE THE INSTALLATION SO THAT THE WINDOWS OPERATING SYSTEM USES A PREDEFINED DISK PARTITION.

With such a change,
    1. Windows recovery can be done and limited to the partition it occupies.
    2. Linux operating systems can be installed with a partition reserved for Windows and then Windows can be either installed or updated.
    Last edited by NoWorries; Aug 08, 2018, 05:10 AM.

I don't think for a minute that MS loves Linux. I think what they do is read the trends and saw that their future lies in cooperation and integration with a great platform that still allows much innovation and future potential for selling their services. The future of business computing basically lies in the cloud not in the PC market and I think MS was behind the curve on that one and Linux was ahead so they jump on the ship before they were left behind.

Still don't trust them a bit though.
    Dave Kubuntu 20.04 Registered Linux User #462608

Wireless Script: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...5#post12350385

Comment

I sometimes think that these acivities have an alteria business motive to suite their financial gains.
      Only sometimes? Everything they do is for business reasons! They only exist to make money for their investors.
      Mark Your Solved Issues [SOLVED]
      (top of thread: thread tools)

Comment

Thanks, point taken. I will now take out the word "sometimes".

Comment

"loves"? I think only in the sense that it is part of initial phase of their "business plan": Embrace, Engulf, Extinguish...
          Beware allowing the wolf to enter the home... Particularly the wolf bearing "gifts"
          Kubuntu 23.11 64bit under Kernel 6.9.1, Hp Pavilion, 6MB ram. All Bow To The Great Google... cough, hack, gasp.

Comment

If M$ could ignore Linux it would, but it can’t. The only areas Windows leads Linux is gaming. They’ve created an anti-trust violation by colluding with OEMs to force consumers to buy Windows along with their PCs. To minimize loss of customers to Linux they’ve embedded an Ubuntu terminal inside Windows. That’s like putting a fat-suit on a gymnast and then claiming he isn’t as athletic as he is reputed to be.
            Purpose: to delude Win10 users into believing that their experience with the terminal, and any GUI’s they might run from within that terminal is as good as Linux gets.

Last weekend a friend asked me to help them set up to DELL desktops they purchased locally.
            They looked similar to iMacs, with everything inside the 27” Monitor. After I assembled them I expected to be faced with the Win10 collection of flat rectangles interface. Instead, the vendor had pre-configured them to look & feel like Win7.
            I unpinned Explorer and installed FF and Libreoffice, which they use in their consulting business.

I’m assuming the vendor did it. If they came that way from M$ then ...
            "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
            – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

last semester the college we really did have to do ctr-alt-del to log out so the next user could login. win 10.

updates over the summer,

my documents isburied somewhre but there is now a button to log out.

woodsmoke
              sigpic
              Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Comment

Originally posted by woodsmoke View Post
                last semester the college we really did have to do ctr-alt-del to log out so the next user could login. win 10.

updates over the summer,

my documents isburied somewhre but there is now a button to log out.

woodsmoke
                Ask Google. They'll have a copy of it, the same copy they gave to the NSA.
                "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
                – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Working...
                X