X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

QT and Microsoft

https://spectrum.ieee.org/at-work/in...ming-languages

The article posted above lists the top two languages as Python followed by C++.

I believe that C++ owes its ranking to Microsoft's influence in the market, some good, some bad, as relates to Qt.

The BIONIC repository has qt5-default version 5.9.5.

I don't know what the version of the latest Qt download from MS the Qt Company is:
    https://www.qt.io/download-qt-installer
    but they've made one fact perfectly clear: the GPL version does not contain everything that it used to contain. I began using Qt at the end of the version 3 era. The commercial license I used cost $1,500/mo per seat. That was for email support 24/7/365. The support was excellent and fast. The 4.0 version which I first used included pre-compiled drivers for the Oracle DB. Those drivers constituted the only real difference between the software of the commercial version of Qt and the GPL version at that time.

How things have changed. The monthly license fee for the MINIMAL version of Qt is $459 per seat. $5,500/yr. The more features you add the higher your monthly license fee. I don't know what the monthly license fee for the fully functional Qt API would be but I suspect it isn't peanuts. $15-20K/yr? Microsoft certainly knows how to monetize stuff. (That's true, but they are not monetizing QT)
    Last edited by GreyGeek; Aug 02, 2018, 06:41 PM.
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Err...Qt and C++ have nothing to do with Microsoft (are you possibly mixing C++ with C#)?.

Also, the commercial licensed version of Qt is exactly the same as the GPL/LGPL version (you buy the commercial license if you cannot abide by the free licenses, for example if you use Qt in a proprietary applications).

Comment

Pretty sure that the Qt Company is a completely independent company
      https://www.qt.io/company
      Mark Your Solved Issues [SOLVED]
      (top of thread: thread tools)

Comment

Wow! I've been out of the QT loop for a long time. The last I heard was that about the time I retired in 2008 Nokia was buying TrollTech and when Nokia was torpedoed Microsoft was looking to buy it. That's when I lost interest. I see that Qt is now public ally traded on NASDAQ under the symbol QTCOM, and 21% is owned by private investors, with hedge funds and insiders owning the rest. That pretty much leaves MS out of the driver's seat. My bad. ***sulks away, washing egg off his face ***

So, what is the rise in popularity of C++ attributed to? Anyone know? (I know that in the four years I used it I loved it!)
        Last edited by GreyGeek; Aug 02, 2018, 06:41 PM.
        "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”

Comment

Nokia sold only their mobile and devices division to MS. Nokia Networks continued, and took over/merged with Alcatel-Lucent, so now Nokia owns Bell Labs. With the (yellow-peril scaremongering) grief that Huawei and ZTE have suffered, Nokia is now one of only two providers of 5G in the USA, so some fancy them.

Nokia sold off Qt while getting into bed with MS; I wonder if that was at the behest of MS, or some smart people in the Qt team.

Regards, John Little
          Regards, John Little

Comment

I didn’t know Nokia was still alive. I’m amazed to hear that they bought Bell Labs. The last I heard was that Steve ??, former MS exec, sent the “platform is burning” memo and then proceeded to burn it down, driving Nokia’s market share from 48% to near nothing by forcing Nokia to adopt the winphone platform. That’s why I called him Microsoft’s “torpedo”.

Like I wrote, I hadn’t kept up with Qt stuff since then, but I recall MS used some fraudulent Claims that Linux violated 5 of their patents to sue cellphone makers using Android and several of them caved rather than fight MS, resulting in MS stealing a percentage of their profits. 50% ? Barns & Nobel revealed MS’ scheme of using an NDA to muzzle victims because they never signed the NDA and revealed all. MS gave them several million and othe considerations I don’t remember right now.

What was the “yellow peril” you referred to?

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek
              What was the “yellow peril” you referred to?
              An historic racist term for Chinese people, and the fear of domination by them. I imply that those companies' exclusion from 5G projects has prejudice as a significant reason.

Regards, John Little
              Regards, John Little

Comment

Originally posted by jlittle View Post
                An historic racist term for Chinese people, and the fear of domination by them. I imply that those companies' exclusion from 5G projects has prejudice as a significant reason.

Regards, John Little
                I was familiar with the historical references to the "yellow peril" but didn't understand how that term applied to Nokia. I see now what you were saying.

BTW, for grins and giggles I went out to the Qt website and downloaded and installed the latest QT 5.11.1 SDK, AFTER I made snapshots, of course.
                https://download.qt.io/archive/qt/5.11/5.11.1/
                It includes over 400 sample programs covering just about every topic in programming imaginable. It's come a LOOONNG way from when I was using it 10-15 years ago.
                Last edited by GreyGeek; Aug 03, 2018, 10:08 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek View Post
                  So, what is the rise in popularity of C++ attributed to? Anyone know? (I know that in the four years I used it I loved it!)
                  I don't know if there has been a sudden increase in poularity (reliable metrics are hard to come by), but it's always been fairly popular due to a nice combination of versatility, scalability, portability and performance.

If there has been an increase in popularity, it might be because c++ (and qt) are increasingly used in various embedded devices.

Comment

Semi-related news:
                    http://www.olafsw.de/kde-free-qt-fou...-akademy-2018/

Comment

This wiki gives the history of QT up until 2015 - https://wiki.qt.io/Qt_History
                      Dave Kubuntu 20.04 Registered Linux User #462608

Wireless Script: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...5#post12350385

Comment

Working...
                      X