This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Obituary Adrian Cronauer the real Good Morning Vietnam DJ

Adrian Cronauer, who served as inspiration for Robin Williams' breakout character in the 1987 film Good Morning, Vietnam, has died in Virginia aged 79.

Like his eponymous character, Cronauer was a radio presenter in Saigon in 1965 and 1966 known best for his enthusiastic early morning greeting and penchant for playing rock'n'roll tunes to raise American troops' morale during the Vietnam War.

But Hollywood took a lot of liberties in its depiction of the air force sergeant.

Cronauer was born in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, in September 1938, to a steelworker father and teacher mother.

Full story here https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-44897634
    systemd is not for me. I am a retro Nintendo gamer. consoles I play on are, SNES; N64; GameCube and WII.
    Host: mx Kernel: 4.19.0-6-amd64 x86_64 bits: 64 compiler: gcc v: 8.3.0 Desktop: Trinity R14.0.8 tk: Qt 3.5.0 info: kicker wm: Twin 3.0 base: Debian GNU/Linux 10

I'm sorry to hear that he has passed on. He tried to bring some life to a life-sucking war.

If Robin Williams' movie took liberties with Adam Cronauer's story, then so be it - and it shouldn't be surprising. In the end, both Adam and Robin benefited from the movie in their respective careers.

Let it be; rescat in pacem, Adam.
    Last edited by jglen490; Jul 21, 2018, 12:20 PM.
    The next brick house on the left
    Intel i7 11th Gen | 16GB | 1TB | KDE Plasma 5.27.11​| Kubuntu 24.04 | 6.8.0-31-generic

Comment

Williams was great in that movie. Loved it.

I was in college and grad school during the VietNam war. I wanted to join the army and make a career out of it but I failed the physical due to hammer toes. My buddy, whom I talked into joining with me on the "buddy" plan, passed. An opportunity to go to college arose and I took it. Through the last two years of undergraduate and three years of graduate study the midterms and final semester exams were grim. Coming out of the exam rooms you could tell by the look on the faces of those walking out if they were going to Nam or not. Decades later we learn that Johnson started the war by being mislead about the 2nd Gulf of Tonkin incident by McNamara. The US Navy describes the history of the event here:
      https://www.usni.org/magazines/naval...h-about-tonkin
      "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
      – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

every morning
        woody
        sigpic
        Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Comment

Love the movie, Had many friends in Viet Nam was in High School during most of it. Glad He lived to tell his story.

Rest in peace.
          Dave Kubuntu 20.04 Registered Linux User #462608

Wireless Script: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...5#post12350385

Comment

Working...
          X