X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Article - Ubuntu Data Collection Report is Out Read the Interesting Facts

NOTE: This is for version 18.04...

There has been some discussion about such data collection between members of this forum.

No matter what your stance on this practice (I'm against it), this article lists what is publicly acknowledged about the kinds of data being collected. Trust, but verify...?

NOTE this collection is done at install time
    . You ARE given the option to opt-out of this data collection, BUT YOU MUST READ CAREFULLY!

I would much rather that this were made opt-in, thereby avoiding the chance of an error by those who don't read carefully. I also suspect that opt-in would greatly reduce the amount of data that would be collected...

https://itsfoss.com/ubuntu-data-collection-stats/

I've stated my opinion on this, so you can flame me if that works for you. But DO be aware that this is happening...

From the article:
    67% of people opted to share their data

67% of Ubuntu 18.04 ‘opted’ to share their data. I deliberately used quotes on opted here because data sharing is opt-in by default. If you don’t want to share your data, you have to specify after the first install, on the welcome screen.
    Last edited by TWPonKubuntu; Jun 24, 2018, 01:12 PM.
    Kubuntu 23.11 64bit under Kernel 6.8.8, Hp Pavilion, 6MB ram. All Bow To The Great Google... cough, hack, gasp.
Working...
X