This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SSD Prices Start To Plunge

I am not needing an SSD, but I thought some of you guys might be interested, if you didn't already catch this one at Tom's:

SSD Prices Start To Plunge

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/ssd-prices-plunge-nvme-sata,36666.html
    An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Good, I want to buy a new one pretty soon

Comment

Me too, but Toshiba is selling their 1TB HD's for $50
      https://www.walmart.com/ip/Toshiba-P...Drive/47182391
      "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
      – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

I picked up a Samsung 860 EVO 500GB last week for $129.
        If you think Education is expensive, try ignorance.

The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has limits.

Comment

Originally posted by SpecialEd View Post
          I picked up a Samsung 860 EVO 500GB last week for $129.
          From where?
          "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek View Post
            From where?
            https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Comment

Ohhhh.... so tempted to get the 1TB size. So tempted .....

But, I'm wagering that the prices will drop even more. At the same time, 1TB HD's are now in the commodity basement. Dirt cheap. Give away prices!

Comment

Ohhhh... so tempted to get the 1TB size. So tempted ...

But, I'm wagering that the prices will drop even more. At the same time, 1TB HD's are now in the commodity basement. Dirt cheap. Give away prices!
                I'll salvage used HDDs and I'll keep and use the ones I have but no matter how "inexpensive" spinning disks are going the way of the dinosaur. I bought the same SSD last year and put it in my Asus. My boot time shrunk from about 2 minutes to about 13 seconds from the Grub menu. I am also not concerned with longevity, it's pretty much comparable these days between HDDs and SSDs.

Comment

That SPEEEEED is the tempting part. The tendency to suddenly fail without notice is the part I don't like. Any one I buy will come with a 3 year warranty as a minimum. Some already are.

Comment

Me too, but Toshiba is selling their 1TB HD's for $50
                    https://www.walmart.com/ip/Toshiba-P...Drive/47182391
                    The old spinning disks are dirt cheap and I like all that storage for the price. But SSD's are on my wish list. I figure as my machines get older and slower SSD's are my ace in the hole to speed them back up

Comment

I use a Samsung 250GB evo for my os and a Toshiba 1TB for data. best of both worlds but I had to take the DVD out of my laptop!!
                      Fortunately linux is quick to reinstall not like some other operating systems

Comment

I did the same thing. I replaced my DVD with an HD Caddy so I could install a third HD in my laptop.

Comment

The tendency to suddenly fail without notice is the part I don't like.
                          That happened to me, in 2013. My OS was on a (very fast at the time) PCI-bus SSD. It was a little less than 3 years old and it blinked out like a lightbulb one day. The good news was, it held only my OS. My data has been on a BTRFS filesystem that runs on a pair of WD1000 hdds since 2010. So it was an inconvenience, and ultimately an expense, to swap in a replacement drive, and then to reinstall an OS. I lost a little bit of time, but no data. I keep that configuration today -- experience says it's a good one.

Comment

Originally posted by dibl View Post
                            That happened to me, in 2013. My OS was on a (very fast at the time) PCI-bus SSD. It was a little less than 3 years old and it blinked out like a lightbulb one day. The good news was, it held only my OS. My data has been on a BTRFS filesystem that runs on a pair of WD1000 hdds since 2010. So it was an inconvenience, and ultimately an expense, to swap in a replacement drive, and then to reinstall an OS. I lost a little bit of time, but no data. I keep that configuration today -- experience says it's a good one.
                            Do you mount your Btrfs data drive using an entry in fstab?

Comment

newegg has the evo 860's for pretty good price, I'm very tempted https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...=-1&isNodeId=1
                              Dave Kubuntu 20.04 Registered Linux User #462608

Wireless Script: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...5#post12350385

Comment

Working...
                              X