This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another story

i know that tool and I still have all three sizes of my granddads with...cherry...handles...

now...sadly rusted somewhat in my oldest boy's "barn cum workshop"...but he has trained all of his kids...girls and boys...on how to use them...

but..here is a story...

When I was a kid I was a "shoeshine boy" at a barbershop that had been there since the 1890's ...

And the grandson, for whom I shined would...because that is the wont of barbers... would lovingly get out a "small' plane...and lovingly talk about it and the customers...who had all "heard the story before"...would "umm" and "yep" and all that...

But then one day... a "young shiner" walked into the shop and he was a newly minted 'lawyer"...

And he saw the time honored ritual about the plane and opined that the thing was a piece of trash and should be thrown in the dustbin...

A hush...fell on the place...

Three barbers, six, seven, dunno customers and one 'shine boy.

And the comment of an old man in the chair was something to the effect of: "sonnie would you care to back that up?:

To wit and to that end... money was laid that the old man in the chair would "plane" against the grain... a piece of aged oak... and slide down it bare butt nekkid... and if he got a splinter .. back there... then a hundred bucks would be paid and if not then...otherwise...

Well... the old man ... leaped? at the chance with an understated ..."young feller, you are on...get your piece of wood and I will meet you here tomorrar"...

Well...the word, and this was in the days of a circular dial wheel telephones with numbers like ORIOLE 456...and just plain old word of mouth...went out and the next day...the building, and it was quite large, a hold over from the 1800's ... was FULL of people there were "lingerers" outsde smokin' and chewin' and spittin' and not a small amount of Budwiser the King of Beers was being given around in honor of the proceedings...

The back third of the building was occupied with ...don't know how many...maybe ten... "claw foot" white ceramic bathtubs in two ranks on either side of an "aisle"...going to the "water closet" which had "the tank' about 10 feet in the air with a long flush chain... and yes enclosed ...

And...above each tub...was...a LARGE..."poster" nailed to the wall of a FIERCE TIGER ON BLACK BACKGROUND... a "Tiger Balm" advertising for shave cream and hair cream...

I...TRIED LATER DESPERATELY to purchase one of those posters... they would be worth THOUSANDS today...

But... the middle of the actual building was divided by an 8 foot high "divider" between a small office and a private bath for the barber and storage...

The Barber's son ( he trained me to 'shine) and I were perched on this divider watching the show below...there was probably well into a couple of thousands of dollars being waged on this...

the "kid" showed up with what WE ALL AGREED was...the absolute NASTIEST piece of old grey weather beaten oak 1x6 maybe...five feet...not six...that ANYBODY had ever seen...

He never said where he got it but the general consensus was one of the local led mines from an out building from the 1800's...

it was THAT NASTY...

Well the old man had disassembled the plane...it is basically loosening a large "thumb wheel" to loosen a metal..."spring"...holder and had the blade out a short while after the shop opened...

And the barber had his...HORIZONTAL honing wheel, hand operated with a wonderful walnut handle... and it worked so smooth...no noise, no vibration...it was made to sharpen the classic "straight razor" that the barbers used for shaving...

And the old man... set to "leather strapping" the blade... no metal to disrespect the blade here... just leather...

YEARS LATER... when I was in Japan and went to an "exhibition" at the Governor's building of how a Samurai blade is made did I REALIZE really... what "was going on" with metal...now yes...the razor was not multiple layers of metal...but it was metal that REQUIRED...respect to be properly sharpened to shave a neck over the jugular vein...

A lot Budwiser the King of Beers and other friendly spirits were being consumed and the old man gladly imbibed and put on a "great show" strapping (pronounced "strawpping"" ) the blade and then...dunno... mid morning...he assembled the tool and set about planing the wood...

stroke...after stroke...after stroke...

people moved in kind of a "funeral home cue" to "view the casket"... I mean as the morning wore on... there had to be... several HUNDRED people about half of whom the son and I had never seen before...

appeared outside the door and "filed through"...to view the planing of the board...

Lunchtime came along... the old man was WALKED to ...The "alley cafe"... a cafe that was on one side of an "alley"... maybe... what...8 feet deep...but long... a "galley' type operation... with the kitchen at the end...no booths there...just well worn previously leather and then "white slick plastic" topped stools...

The old man's money was nod good that day...

Across the street was "the Budweiser joint"... a classic old bar from the 1800s... about...one "block" from the "Frisco station" and parked out back was...an OPEN CAB "flatbed" truck proudly painted and labled in white with red and black letters..."BUDWISER"... and the owners brought...on that truck...one block...from the Frisco station...WOODEN barrels of beer and also bottles in wooden boxes...

and would pus a "hoogah horn"... over the ONE block... a set of FIVE HORNS...that somehow, I have no clue...played..."How dry i am..."...

The old man's money was no good...

Business did not close but ...the owners left them to the "young guys" ...everybody... everybody was in town that day...

And yes... it was a Saturday...people back then mostly WALKED ...everywhere...people were just then...1959... making the transition from horses to cars...

the town was...jammed...

Well we gave up and climbed the "back fire stairs" to the roof of the building that the cafe was built against...

and watched the show...

and...for the first time I saw...something that would affect me later when I was studying ornithology in college...the INCREDIBLE amount of pigeon poop on top of flat roofs...lol

So...

after the old man had "et his vittles"... he and the train of people went back to the barber shop. The son and I had left earlier and went in through "the back door" and were perched atop the "divider wall"...

Because the old man was going to let 'the kid" lean the board against a claw foot tub against a "chock block" in the floor...

The board had been "UNDER WATCH"...the whole time after the kid had brought the board in so as to not have anybody "interfere" with the board...

A couple of lawyers had even volunteered to watch it, and of course...the two "sides' the side for the kid...NOT MANY...and the side for the old man had plied them with a LOT OF BOOZE...

They were basically passed out on the wicker benches in the barber shop...but...curiously...when the crowd pressed into the shop they are somewhat alert and up and in the back with the tubs and "guarding" the board...

It really was a "press" of people...the barber REALLY WAS...worried that there would be too many people in the place...it was jammed all the way out onto the sidewalk...

So...the son and I are perched on top of the wall dividers watching this...

the lawyers were watching ...there was at least one sherrif and the barbers and some of the "city fathers"...

The old man, with great ceremony inspected the board , "sizing it up and down" and the kid and him agreed which way the "grain went' and the kid leaned the board against the end of the first tub and everyone became very...quiet...

the old man said something about whether the kid was sure that the board was where he wanted it, etc. and the kid agreed...

People were whispering to people behind them and it was going out to the sidewalk and beyon...

Then the old man said something else to the kid and "backed toward" the board...he was wearning "galluses" which are now known as "bib overalls"... and he undid the bibs dropped the overalls, dropped a pair...of... SPECTACULAR...BLUE AND WHITE VERTICAL STRIPE "long" underwear... and slid them down...

and sat down on the top of the board, leaning against the white porcelain claw foot bathtub...

and slid down...

he got to the bottom...

stood up...

and turned his butt toward the kid...

leaned over...

spread his "cheeks"...

and said...

"Kiss it kid!"...

and the place ERUPTED...ERUPTED with shouting, hollering, hoioping, hollering, throwing hats and caps into the air...and thumping the old man on the back...

the old man turned around...

the kid pulled out a crisp hundred dollar bill and handed it to the old man and...

left...

a few weeks later his "shingle" disappeared and he was never seen again...

And the Budweiser joint...

had a local "sign painter" paint up a mirror with the old man's name on it and some flowers and such and... a painting of the plane...

The barber had the plane's wood "refinished" by about...fifteen...dunno... "woodworkers'... with the latest and best oil finish...

and he gave it to the old man...

The local "most prominent" photographer took a picture of him giving it to the old man...

it was not in the local newspaper because the publisher was a "holier than though "front pew Baptist" "...

and, according to people I knew...since I was under age...

the old man's money was no good in the Budweiser joint...

And the old man's name? "Willie Bill".
    sigpic
    Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Interesting yarn, Woody!

One of the memories of my early childhood was the trip to the barbershop. Back then, men wouldn't be caught dead getting haircuts in "beauty parlors" and all businesses with a barber pole out front were staffed by men. The most popular haircuts of the day were the flattop and the tapered trim, with or without a DA or a pompadour. The younger kids were testing the "Mohawk", or "Tomahawk". Those haircuts included a razor shave around the hairline. Setting in that chair was the most relaxing and comfortable 20 minutes I ever enjoyed, as often as I went. Nothing has matched since, even up to this day, 65 years later.

Another childhood memory, exciting to me because of my curiosity, was the X-Ray Shot Fitter. My first recollection of going to a shoe store to buy shoes, circa the late 1940's, involved that machine, and that machine was part of the experience almost until I left for college in 1960.

I even got several of these "certificates":

But, at 77, I'm gradually forgetting a lot of my old memories, or remembering events that never really happened.
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

LOL NiCE MOVE...but...it does not reference the particular avatar!...lol

and yep, we had THAT MACHINE in the town...and since I was "not quite tall enough" I looked at somebody else's feet and...

it scared me shi$%^@@...even at that age...

My mother had actually purchased for me the "red binding" "World Book" and i sallied myself hence and, since I was actually READING...page after page through it...i skipped to "X-ray"...and was even more scared sh#$%!@@...

but yeah... that was THE THING back in the day...

woodishonoredbythemoveandtitlesmoke
      sigpic
      Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Comment

LOL!

When I was around 6 or 7 my folks got an encyclopedia set, I can't remember the name, but the inside cover bindings had medieval drawings of battle horses slashed in the stomach and spilling their guts everywhere. Gave me nightmares for months.

When my boy was around 2 or 3 years old a World Book Encyclopedia salesman came by and took advantage of me, selling me a complete set with three years of free updates for $Iforgot. I spent more time reading them than he ever did.
        "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”

Comment

lol
          woody
          sigpic
          Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Comment

Very interesting story, Woody!

But JUST transitioning from horses to cars in '59? Perhaps things were different elsewhere, but here in Southern California we were well and truly entrenched in car culture long before then! Though I don't remember it personally (wasn't born yet), stories from my family had us in cars from the 1930s, after moving to Los Angeles from 'back east' (New York/New Jersey). I remember the early '60s very well, and getting new cars was a common event.

Anyway, I loved the story!
            Xenix/UNIX user since 1985 | Linux user since 1991 | Was registered Linux user #163544

Comment

Lol yep, when the elites call the midwest "flyover country" they aren't much wrong. The congress person who coined the term inherited her passed husbands ranch.

If one has ever seen a "Roy Rogers" film, a "modern person" maybe in the sixties just could not "understand" how it was that Roy was riding Buttermilk(his horse) and had smiley burnett driving the jeep "Lulu Belle"... WELL... DURING THOSE TIMES IN THE MIDWEST and also the "California West" it was no surprise because a LOT of folks that were "older"...fifties and up actually did not have a car, they rode a horse or had a horse drawn wagon. And folks transitioned between one transport to another on a daily basis.

There was a town south of me about ...fourty miles...and we were south of a much larger town by about...thirty miles...DECADES later the priincipal at the school where I taught most of my life told a story about how his dad had a very expensive cadillac... like this:

To travel from the lower town to the upper town they took, as I remember...five...six...? "extra" tires ON WHEELS because of the HORRIBLE roads that destroyed the tires... Instead of "changing a tire" , he got out and SWITCHED it and drove a while until the next one went bad and again an again.

When they got to the upper, MUCH larger town and were at the hotel, he gave all the tires to a "garage" nearby to fix and they went shopping and stayed overnight.

People TODAY...just really have no conception of that "transition" period because it was not recorded on cell phones... there is a little of it in the "old films" but people just kind of think that

All those HIGHWAYS...just magically appeared in one year...no...it took decades...

That is one thing that the "Republicans" who are "all against taxes"...don't understand...and that Obama correctly opined in a very STUPID way...that it takes decades to "wear a road out" and years to "rebuild it'...and it is much better to "maintain" it than to "repair it"...because think of

YOUR FRONT END...on a road that is all "potholes"...yeah people may "save" twenty dollars a year in taxes but spend five hundred every couple of years on fixing the front end of their car...

Now, I, personally was in a family wherein the horse had about "halfway transitioned" to a "hay burner"...but I actually "droved cattle" ...not across the length of a state but across the length of "counties" because the people had figured out that it was less expensive to have ten "farms" of 50 acres each rather than one ranch of 500 acres. They were "all modern" at the time, moving cattle in "horse trailers" but I could actually drove twenty or thirty head at one time and made a LOT of money while the "clint eastwoods" were making chump change "bucking hay" for a half cent a bale.

And...within... the space of time when I was 14 to when i was 20 it all just disappered.

And...good and well done...it was a brutal way to live...the films just don't really relate what had to be done just to do simple things.

My granddad and mother literally built the first house "on a new block" in our town and it had toilet, water, "storm drains" on the eves of the roof, very modern...but just a block from me was a VERY CUTE little "sandstone" covered house with...no toilet, did have running water and "gas" "laid on"... the old man who lived there, I shined his shoes, had inherited the house...and he RAN THE LOCAL BANK... literally sat in a small "morning room" reading the newspaper after getting off work because he had no t.v ...OR...radio...

The whole thing about the "EMP"...people just do not comprehend how they would "all of a sudden" have to live if some third rate country pops one of those things off over us...

MOST of those countries realy are...mostly... what the U,S. ws in the fifties...

so...we could pop one of the EMPs off over them and the folks just yawn...they...are still using outdoor toilets... and their hospitals have cheesecloth tents to keep the flies away from patients in the summer.

woodwaaay too old! smoke lol
              sigpic
              Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Comment

In 1962 the US conducted "Starfish Prime", a test of the effects of an EMP pulse. The 1.8MT weapon was detonated at an altitude of 1,300,000 feet above the Pacific, near the Hawaii Islands. It's total effect was supposedly to have caused the failure of 30 strings of lights in the city of Oahu. 30 strings out of 3,000 strings in the city. That's it. And, that is the sum total of the "proof" of the "devastating effects" that an EMP would have if a similar bomb were detonated at 390 miles above Omaha, NE. There were several other detonations in near Earth space over the years, and around 2,500 detonations at or near the Earth's surface since 1945, yet there is not one recorded incident of an EMP destroying anything, including the electronics that were surrounding each blast as they recorded its affects.

EMP proponents often point to the CARRINGTON EFFECT of 1859, when a large CME causes auroras all the way down to central Mexico. There weren't many electrical devices present during that period of time, except the telegraph, and anecdotal stories relate to Saint Elmo's fire and other effects of static electricity. People in the central part of the US claimed that they could read their newspapers because it was as bright as daylight. However, magentometer recordings of the effect established that its magnetic strength was between 800 and 1,000 nT. That's right nanoTeslas. The Earth's magnetic field strength at 0-0 is only 31.869 µT, That's "micro" Tesla. The Earth's magnetic field is stil 32 times stronger than the effects caused by the 1859 CME.

The US Military and power companies long ago took measures against transient magnetic events by creating "Faraday cages" around their electrical devices. Besides, lightening strikes on power lines have caused much more damage than CME's or that lone EMP of 1962. Their effects are usually negated by the triggering of breakers and other current limiting devices. But, if you are really worried then you could wrap your smartphone in tin foil when you are not using it.

PS- Most of you have a Faraday cage in your home. It's called a Microwave, and the cage is what keeps the electromagnetic effects of the Klystron inside, preventing burning your eyes out.

Comment

Well

GG

I STAND CORRECTED!!

Back in country we were all warned about this...so...

STOOPID ME!!

I stand corrected!!

woodsheepishsmoke
                  sigpic
                  Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Comment

Working...
                  X