This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[ABANDONED] Has 32-bit Kubuntu ended?

I've been testing and bug-reporting the 32-bit version of Kubuntu Cosmic (18.10). Now at http://iso.qa.ubuntu.com/qatracker/m...es/390/history the latest 32-bit version listed is 20180522, and it shows
    Kubuntu Desktop i386 (removed)
    Does this mean there will be no future 32-bit versions?

Thanks,
    Howard
    Howard
    ThinkPads 310ED, 600E, T23, X41, X60, T61, X201, E550

Yes: https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ku...ay/011666.html
    Kubuntu 20.04

Comment

You will find fewer and fewer Distro will offer I386 /32 bit .iso in the coming years as 32 bit machines get older and fewer people have them. Many have already abandoned 32 bit development.
      Dave Kubuntu 20.04 Registered Linux User #462608

Wireless Script: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...5#post12350385

Comment

On the other hand, it is a shame because there are still some perfectly usable 32 bit machines that are giving people a chance to be on the internet. i understand that there are still plenty of 32 bit OSes available - they're just not as pretty as KDE
        The next brick house on the left
        Intel i7 11th Gen | 16GB | 1TB | KDE Plasma 5.27.11​| Kubuntu 24.04 | 6.8.0-31-generic

Comment

Even though ISO file sizes have gotten bigger in recent years there is still a limit to what that can put in 1.8GB or there about. Space was even more critical when LiveCD were common.

As new hardware drivers take up more space they push old hardware drivers off the CD or USB. This results in a width of about 2.5-3 computer generations, which is constantly sliding into the future and leaving old hardware behind, as the window of compatibility.
          "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
          – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Originally posted by jglen490 View Post
            On the other hand, it is a shame because there are still some perfectly usable 32 bit machines that are giving people a chance to be on the internet. i understand that there are still plenty of 32 bit OSes available - they're just not as pretty as KDE
            A number of distributions indicate they will continue 32-bit versions. I came to prefer KDE while running openSUSE - it's the default. I formerly had multiple machines, both 32-bit and 64-bit, running openSUSE KDE. Then openSUSE stopped offering a stable 32-bit version, so I switched everything to Mint KDE. Now Mint is dropping KDE, so I've been trying Kubuntu. Now Kubuntu will drop 32-bit after 18.04. I'll be able to keep the 32-bit systems going, I just will not have the convenience of consistency.
            Howard
            ThinkPads 310ED, 600E, T23, X41, X60, T61, X201, E550

Comment

One can still d/l 32bit versions of the last releases of Kubuntu from the Kubuntu page.
              If you think Education is expensive, try ignorance.

The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has limits.

Comment

For now ...
                The next brick house on the left
                Intel i7 11th Gen | 16GB | 1TB | KDE Plasma 5.27.11​| Kubuntu 24.04 | 6.8.0-31-generic

Comment

...until 18.04 becomes EOL in 2021, though the kernel/etc will be supported until 2023

Comment

Working...
                  X