This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[PLASMA 5] Nice comments about Kubuntu on Mint Forum

I've been following a thread on the Linux Mint Forum for some time titled "Preparing for Mint to drop the KDE distro". It's up to 174 posts and nine pages so far. The latest posts are very complimentary about the latest Kubuntu 18.04 and Neon: https://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtop...3f7be#p1473419

Most people are amazed how lightweight Plasma 5 is, yet it's so full featured.
    Desktop PC: Intel Core-i5-4670 3.40Ghz, 16Gb Crucial ram, Asus H97-Plus MB, 128Gb Crucial SSD + 2Tb Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 HDD running Kubuntu 18.04 LTS and Kubuntu 14.04 LTS (on SSD).
    Laptop: HP EliteBook 8460p Core-i5-2540M, 4Gb ram, Transcend 120Gb SSD, currently running Deepin 15.8 and Manjaro KDE 18.

Making people aware that "KDE" is no longer a resource hog will take quite some PR
    Kubuntu 20.04

Comment

Yeah, those "KDE is bloated" myths will take some time to eradicate I guess!
      Last edited by Rod J; May 25, 2018, 05:17 AM.
      Desktop PC: Intel Core-i5-4670 3.40Ghz, 16Gb Crucial ram, Asus H97-Plus MB, 128Gb Crucial SSD + 2Tb Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 HDD running Kubuntu 18.04 LTS and Kubuntu 14.04 LTS (on SSD).
      Laptop: HP EliteBook 8460p Core-i5-2540M, 4Gb ram, Transcend 120Gb SSD, currently running Deepin 15.8 and Manjaro KDE 18.

Comment

Originally posted by Rod J View Post
        Yeah, those "KDE is bloated" myths will take some time to eradicate I guess!
        People on the Mint forum are posting KSystemLog reports of Plasma5 taking only 690Kb of memory. Postings like that are blowing that myth out of the water, especially since the Mint forum is a high traffic area.
        Last edited by GreyGeek; May 25, 2018, 12:01 PM.
        "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
        – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

That's just 50K more than what Bill Gates prescribed
          Kubuntu 20.04

Comment

Originally posted by chimak111 View Post
            That's just 50K more than what Bill Gates prescribed
            Ya! He did predict that no one would need more than 640Kb of RAM.
            "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
            – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek View Post
              People on the Mint forum are posting KSystemLog reports of Plasma5 taking only 690Kb of memory. Postings like that are blowing that myth out of the water, especially since the Mint forum is a high traffic area.
              heck I have got a couple of people in the Gallium OS and/or ChromeOS subreddits to try out Plasma 5 via Neon on Chromebooks, and they are amazed that that it uses approx the same amount of ram as Xfce (no Akonadi/Kontact running) and runs just as smoothly.

Comment

Originally posted by Rod J View Post
                I've been following a thread on the Linux Mint Forum for some time titled "Preparing for Mint to drop the KDE distro". It's up to 174 posts and nine pages so far. The latest posts are very complimentary about the latest Kubuntu 18.04 and Neon: https://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtop...3f7be#p1473419

Most people are amazed how lightweight Plasma 5 is, yet it's so full featured.
                They darn well better praise Kubuntu , as Mint KDE is all Kubuntu packaging, even using the PPAs by default.

Comment

Mint KDE was one of my favorites and was sad to see they were dropping support. Kubuntu is my new kde driver
                  The Mint forums are well attended and the myth of kde being a resource hog will be put in it's place eventually.
                  Dave Kubuntu 20.04 Registered Linux User #462608

Wireless Script: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...5#post12350385

Comment

as to the comments about system useage, always a "bugaboo" for talking head click collecting "reviewers" for Kubuntu or KDE being HEAVY...

I am running Kubu on a 13 year old Toshiba Lappy.

Do I run intensive games on it...no... but that is the OS and the game interacting to be "heavy"...

and i runs just fine and has run fine for over a decade...I just keep upgrading or installing new.

woodsmoke
                    sigpic
                    Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Comment

I'm one of those who were surprised at how nice Kubuntu 18.04 has become. Even though I started Linux with KDE back in 2011 and liked it from the start, I gave up on it around Ubuntu 12.04/14.04. I went with lighter DE's like Xfce and MATE as my first choice, but Kubuntu 18.04 has impressed me both for its polish and lightweight aspects, running well on even older hardware with lower specs.

Comment

Working...
                      X