Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Plasma 6

Originally posted by rossdv8 View Post
    ... I'm looking forward to Kubuntu 24.10 'possibly' coming out with Plasma 6 once all the wrinkles are ironed out...
    It took 3 releases, 18 months, for all the wrinkles in plasma 5 to be ironed out, at least for me. Plasma 5 to 6 should be easier, I seem to remember being told, but the transition from X11 to Wayland is happening at the same time, with problems that I can't imagine the term "wrinkles" being appropriate.

Regards, John Little

I'm still running Neon 6 on the other Lenovo, and they have Plasma 6 with Wayland working pretty well. My biggest problem with it is with using VNC. The only 'decent' VNC App for Linux so far has been NoMachine, and that doesn;t play nicely with Wayland without a fair bit of tweaking. The people at NoMachine have a couple of ways that 'should' make it work, but until they 'work' with my systems I'm stuck using x11.

The main wrinkles left for the half dozen or so computers I still have active are fairly minor and I reckon if the Neon team considers that Plasma 6 is fine, Kubuntu won;t be letting them get too far ahead.

I've been spending more and more time in Neon lately. Not because I 'want' to, but because it seems to be working nicely for most things, and perhaps because of the time I spent testing the betas. I just got used to the look and feel of a pure Plasma system again instead fo my Home-Made Hybrid . .
    I'm starting to wonder if I might decide to switch back to Purely Plasma and just have a Kubuntu vs Neon choice to make.

Comment

Originally posted by Schwarzer Kater View Post
      For weeks now I have not had enough time to do something "nice" in my Kubuntu 24.04 LTS installation (meaning: I have not had time to install Latte Dock yet ) - this is the current set-up with Plasma Panels :​
      Assuming you have used both Latte Dock and Cairo Dock, what were your experiences with them - as a comparison?
      I had some issues with Latte Dock and had to write some scripts for them to keep Icons in place, or to posaiiton the docks where I wanted them or some such rubbish, because after a reboot the things changed their layout. That was years ago though. I can't remember what the problem was but it annoyed me every time it happened.
      I've been using Cairo-Dock ever since, but I wondered if over the last few years Latte Dock has become any more customisable and stable, because when it worked - it did look more 'comfortable' with Plasma?

Comment

Originally posted by rossdv8 View Post
        Assuming you have used both Latte Dock and Cairo Dock, what were your experiences with them - as a comparison?
        […]
        Hm, if Cairo Dock were a bread knife, then Latte Dock would be a Swiss Army knife and it makes good use of Plasma, Widgets, etc. …

And this probably can lead to several bugs: Latte Dock is certainly not bug-free, but for my (quite simple = only two panels and a dock) use case I have had no problems with it in Plasma 5.18 (IIRC), 5.24 and 5.27.

I am very used to the "parabolic/magnifying effect" of the dock, because I have been using Mac OS X/macOS since 2001 (and "classic" Mac OS since the late '80s - but the latter did not have this efect)…

Kubuntu 24.04 LTS is the last chance to use Latte Dock - if nobody surprisingly picks up the development.
        Last edited by Schwarzer Kater; Apr 26, 2024, 06:54 PM.
        Debian KDE & LXQt • Kubuntu & Lubuntu • openSUSE KDE • Windows • macOS X
        Desktop: Lenovo ThinkCentre M75s • Laptop: Apple MacBook Pro 13" • and others

get rid of Snap script (20.04 +)reinstall Snap for release-upgrade script (20.04 +)
        install traditional Firefox script (22.04 +)​ • install traditional Thunderbird script (24.04)

Comment

Originally posted by jlittle View Post
          It took 3 releases, 18 months, for all the wrinkles in plasma 5 to be ironed out, at least for me. Plasma 5 to 6 should be easier, I seem to remember being told, but the transition from X11 to Wayland is happening at the same time, with problems that I can't imagine the term "wrinkles" being appropriate.
          I am hoping that Plasma 6.1 or at least Plasma 6.2 (with X11) will already be more usable for me…
          At the moment I use Debian and Kubuntu with Plasma 5.27.x much more often than openSUSE Tumbleweed because of the visual and functional deficiencies and bugs in Plasma 6 that affect both my aesthetic perception and my workflow.
          Last edited by Schwarzer Kater; Apr 26, 2024, 06:53 PM.

get rid of Snap script (20.04 +)reinstall Snap for release-upgrade script (20.04 +)
          install traditional Firefox script (22.04 +)​ • install traditional Thunderbird script (24.04)

Comment

Thanks. I tend to use Cairo-Dock still with Plasma 5 because it works better with my Window Manager, which is Compiz.
            However Cairo-Dock doesn;t play particularly nicely with Plasma 6 using Kwin, so I was just using multiple standard panels. There are still things I prefer using a Dock for through.
            In the mean time, my Plasma 6 is still looking basic, but functional since I got rid of another Panel. I might look at Latte-Dock again for a slide up dock at the bottom to replace it:
            Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20240428_214648-resized.png
Views:	44
Size:	966.8 KB
ID:	678674

Comment

Latte Dock won't work in Plasma 6…!

There is no dock at all meant for Plasma 6 yet - except for the Plasma Panel.

And IIRC people also had more problems with it in Wayland and Plasma 5 than in X11.​
              Last edited by Schwarzer Kater; Apr 28, 2024, 07:20 AM. Reason: addition

Comment

Working...
              X