Kudos!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kudos!

First post on this forum from a long time linuxer. Recently switched from MX to Kubuntu, something a bit more up to date.

Kudos to the team for an awesome distro! Well done!! Holding up pretty good on a old HP Pavilion (Intel Core i3 CPU M 350 @ 2.27GHz, about 4 GB RAM).
    A tad bit lagging at times but tolerable (and better than MX, perceptively).

So far, I like what I see.

Welcome.

Which Kubuntu version did you install?
    You can even be a bit more up to date if you use the official Kubuntu Backports PPA(s) - also see Overview: Kubuntu, its parent and some of its siblings

MX Linux is a good and reliable distribution, but as they are based directly on Debian stable one will therefore get the same KDE versions as in Debian stable - I think they replace SDDM with a newer version, but that's it.
    Debian KDE & LXQt • Kubuntu & Lubuntu • openSUSE KDE • Windows • macOS X
    Desktop: Lenovo ThinkCentre M75s • Laptop: Apple MacBook Pro 13" • and others

get rid of Snap script (20.04 +)reinstall Snap for release-upgrade script (20.04 +)
    install traditional Firefox script (22.04 +)​ • install traditional Thunderbird script (24.04)

Comment

Hi Schwarzer,

I am on DISTRIB_RELEASE=23.10.

Yes, MX is (still) a good/reliable distro. It just didn't play well on my new "old laptop".

Will check out Kubuntu Backports PPA.

Danke!

Comment

Oh, sorry - I forgot to mention regarding the Kubuntu Backports PPAs:

As always I strongly recommend that you have prepared some way to revert your system to a previous state if something goes wrong, e.g.:

One can install ppa-purge before and use it to get rid of the Kubuntu Backports' packages again.
        Or use a Timeshift system backup.
        Or use LVM/ext4 with snapshots or btrfs with snapshots as your file system.
        Or use a Clonezilla volume backup.
        Or …​​​​​
        Debian KDE & LXQt • Kubuntu & Lubuntu • openSUSE KDE • Windows • macOS X
        Desktop: Lenovo ThinkCentre M75s • Laptop: Apple MacBook Pro 13" • and others

get rid of Snap script (20.04 +)reinstall Snap for release-upgrade script (20.04 +)
        install traditional Firefox script (22.04 +)​ • install traditional Thunderbird script (24.04)

Comment

Working...
        X