X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pinguy LiveCD creator

http://news.softpedia.com/news/you-c...r-520733.shtml

https://pinguyos.com/2018/04/pinguy-...sing-ubiquity/

Also allows for creating a persistent LiveCD. (LiveUSB ?)
    Click image for larger version

Name:	you-can-now-create-your-own-ubuntu-18-04-lts-live-system-with-pinguy-builder-520733-2.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	53.0 KB
ID:	649313
    Last edited by GreyGeek; Apr 17, 2018, 08:10 PM.
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Does it give us the ability to do an install to a harddrive, from the live USB, as we can do presently from an ISO live CD?

That would be a good backup for the future, post 32 bit builds.

I expect there will be plenty of 32 bit systems which will remain alive and well in the wild and I'd like to be able to "rescue" them with a solid Linux OS.
    Kubuntu 24.04 64bit under Kernel 6.9.3, Hp Pavilion, 6MB ram. All Bow To The Great Google... cough, hack, gasp.

Comment

Originally posted by TWPonKubuntu View Post
      Does it give us the ability to do an install to a harddrive, from the live USB, as we can do presently from an ISO live CD?

That would be a good backup for the future, post 32 bit builds.

I expect there will be plenty of 32 bit systems which will remain alive and well in the wild and I'd like to be able to "rescue" them with a solid Linux OS.
      I installed it and looked around. It does not make any provisions for a USB install. It creates either an ISO file and/or a LiveCD, which is not what Tux Magazine implied.

EDIT: so I uninstalled it. Don't need it's backup capability. Don't have a CDROM. Can use dd to make a either a LiveCD or LiveUSB, and mksub to make a persistent one.
      Last edited by GreyGeek; Apr 17, 2018, 08:32 PM.
      "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”

Comment

I have in hand a usb stick with an older, like...four years ago, Pinguy OS.

It installs FINE...from USB...

again...all this crappola about "haarruuummmppppff ...installing from a USB is HARD...you need to follow this step and that step.. and yada yada...

pure crappola...

A) the APPEARANCE of it is..."cludzy"... text is waay to big for...our present...refined ...sniff, sniff, sniff...tastes...sniff sniff...

B) it is a minimal install...so...ya gotta actually be able to install...OMG...from command line..."synaptic"...

sudo/apt/get/instal synaptic

And Pinguy willl pull the stuff that Pinguy can handle...

Will it pull what YOU want...absolutely no clue...

Why would you want to put a monster program like LibreOffice on a minimal install...hmmm

anyway...

download the cd .iso

stick a usb stick...lol, into the usb female and go through the install process...

end ...of...story...

safely remove it...

turn off the hardware.

if you already have the bootloader set to start from usb you will 'probably" get it to run...

my recommendation?

UNPLUG the hard drive...yeah...it requires that you...OMG... move the dam@#@$ box to where you can get at the side of it...

brush off the cheetos on the table...and...ummm MOVE the computer case.

unscrew the two screws in the back, and remove the side...

unplug the "ribbon cable an power cable from the hard drive or the little flat skinny cord and ...

well let them hang.

plug the usb with Pinguy on it into a convenient receptacle...

and turn the computer on and Pinguy will appear...

EXACTLY AS IF IT WAS ON A CD...

WARNING!!!! WARNING!!

CONTRARY TO THE TALKING, WRITING EXPERT HEADS THAT intone...

"IT RUNS IN MEMORY SO IT IS FASTER!!"...UMMMM NO...

iT IS FASTER ...WHEN THE APP IS RUNNING...BUT CALLING THE APP TAKES SOMETIMES A LOT LONGER.

AND IF THE APP RUNS EXTERNAL STUFF LIKE YOU TUBE...IT CAN ACTUALLY RUN SLOWER BECAUSE OF THE "POINTERS" WHICH HAVE TO BE CALLED AND...IT IS NOT ON A HARD DRIVE WHERE THE POINTERS ARE USED TO POINTING...

SO...

DOWNLOAD THE .ISO
        INSTALL TO THE USB
        CHANGE THE BOOT ORDER TO USB FIRST AND LEAVE THE HARD DRIVE IN...
        PREFERABLY UNPLUG THE HARD DRIVE...
        RUN IT AND FIGURE OUT IF YOU LIKE IT...

IF YOU LIKE IT PLUG IN A SMALL HARD DRIVE...TEN GIG IS MARVY BUT YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO FIND ONE SO JUST FIND A CLEAN HARD DRIVE

AND INSTALL IT USING...THE...LITTLE INSTALL BUTTON ON THE DESKTOP

AND ENJOY.

WOOD RAN IT THROUGH AN hdmi CONNEXION TO MY ...LARGE SCREEN TV...

BUT I DECIDED TO MAKE MY OWN OS SO...

PINGUY YEAH!!

WOODLIKESPINGUYOSSMOKE
        Last edited by woodsmoke; Apr 18, 2018, 11:09 PM.

Comment

Woodsmoke, your caps key is stuck again
          Kubuntu 24.04 64bit under Kernel 6.9.3, Hp Pavilion, 6MB ram. All Bow To The Great Google... cough, hack, gasp.

Comment

Woodsmoke, I love your posts, especially when I read them for effect.

by the way , I have three screws in back. What do I do?

Comment

GG; Use a crowbar on that third screw. Then you'll never have to face the problem again.

Comment

Originally posted by TWPonKubuntu View Post
                GG; Use a crowbar on that third screw. Then you'll never have to face the problem again.
                I did that. The error msg said "crowbar app not found".

Comment

Two possible causes for that error message:

1) Your password is not adequate for the crowbar app. Try reinstalling.

2) The crowbar app was designed for use only on Philips or Standard operating systems. Contact the Developers.

PS: Use the crowbar Only on the middle screw, otherwise the system will become unbalanced and possibly unclosable...
                  Last edited by TWPonKubuntu; Apr 19, 2018, 03:00 PM.

Comment

You out humored me, I concede defeat!

Comment

We now return this thread to its normal programming.

Comment

I was being serious.
                        Pinguy is a serious app and should be taken seriously.
                        I apologize to the developers of Pinguy foe creationg a situation which disparages the OS.

As one can see from the appended image it is a very clean, modern, refined desktop j

woodapologizestothedevofPinguyforbeingsuchadoofsmo ke

https://distrowatch.com/table.php?distribution=pinguy

Comment

Working...
                        X