AIO/Printer Suggestions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

AIO/Printer Suggestions

I've been a pretty HARD CORE HP only person on the printing side of things for decades.. I just grabbed an HP, updated HPLIP if needed and moved on.

Well some things have changed in the 'printing landscape' especially with HP, and some of the other garbage with ink BSry....

So I am looking to replace my WORKHORSE HP AIO unit its developed some sort of issue, its old, and I think that the surgery needed to it is above my time level and abilities, mostly time as in lack of...

So what AIO/Printers are others using

WIDE SUPPORT 14.04 to 24.04

COLOR INKJET
    Networking! Prefer WIRED Cat5, but will accept a 802.11(x) meaning a "wireless" printer, I'd prefer it if it had 5ghz support v. 2.4ghz.

It must do the above to print, scan, fax, etc.. I do not connect printers via USB etc. ever, period.

USB Port for PRINTING from USB STICKS/MEMORY CARDS - Would be desired, but if I loose this to get other things on the list, not a big loss. This port is NOT for connecting to a PC(s).

LCD SCREEN to operate etc.
    Auto Document Feeder - Bonus if it can duplex scan, but not a must.
    Flat Bed Scanning
    FAX!
    Fax from printing ie: it creates a FAX Printer via CUPS
    Scanning - from internal Web server of printer - The main users are not going to use XSANE etc.

I've looked at some of the HP's that meet or are similar, but HPLIP doesn't seem to support them, appear to be too new. Plus the HP ink issues and recent BSry comments.

Like I've said I've not used anything other than HP in decades, as most other Epson, Cannon, Brother etc. didn't support Linux as well as HPLIP does/did for Linux.

Budget Well.. thats debatable, I've seen things from $99 for an Epson which meets 95% of this, to $300 for others, but I'd say there is a HARD $300 limit.

So any one want to chime in on a printer they like from Epson, Brother, Cannon?? Before I risk getting an exact old used dupe from ebay...

Thanks!

If you don't want to use HP anymore you could have a look at brotherCanon and Epson are a bit more hit-and-miss from my experience in the consumer section.

I don't recommend "consumer" AIO devices to anyone from my perspective/experience, though - only good network-capable AIO laser printers that are at least meant for small to medium work groups and can be repaired for the next 10-15 years at a reasonable price for the spare parts, so you don't have to throw them away when one of the components fails… Unfortunately those would be outside of your budget.
    Last edited by Schwarzer Kater; Feb 13, 2024, 12:37 PM.
    Debian KDE & LXQt • Kubuntu & Lubuntu • openSUSE KDE • Windows • macOS X
    Desktop: Lenovo ThinkCentre M75s • Laptop: Apple MacBook Pro 13" • and others

get rid of Snap script (20.04 +)reinstall Snap for release-upgrade script (20.04 +)
    install traditional Firefox script (22.04 +)​ • install traditional Thunderbird script (24.04)

Comment

Originally posted by rec9140 View Post
      WIDE SUPPORT 14.04 to 24.04
      This may be problematic because some printers became driverless during this period. My Brother AIO ink jet, new in 2017, became so sometime before 20.04. Driverless is the way to go, you just put the printer on the LAN somehow (ethernet, wifi, ...) and start printing, that is, click "print". KDE "discovers" the printer automatically. In 2017 I had to find a Linux install script, and that took some searching; I found it on the Singapore Brother web site.

I'd recommend a Brother, except that the ink is expensive in my country.
      I do not connect printers via USB etc. ever, period.
      I'd like more people to have that attitude. We'd get fewer problem posts here on KFN.
      Budget I'd say there is a HARD $300 limit.
      Focussing on the price of the printer alone can be false economy, because most manufacturers sell printers at a loss and make money on the ink. I suggest estimating the amount of printing you'll do over some period, say five years, then estimating how many ink cartridges will be needed, and add their cost to the price.
      Regards, John Little

Comment

Working...
      X