My current setup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My current setup

On the left, my HP laptop running Kubuntu 23.10. In the middle is my brand new custom built PC (behind the monitor) running Kubuntu 23.10. On the right, my iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, Late 2014) running macOS Big Sur Version 11.7.10.

The custom built PC:

Case: Thermaltake Core P3 ATX Tempered Glass Gaming Computer Case Chassis, Open Frame Panoramic Viewing, Glass Wall-Mount, Black Edition

​Motherboard: MSI MPG X570S Edge MAX WiFi Gaming Motherboard • ATX • AMD • Socket AM4 • DDR4 • PCIe 4 • CFX • M.2 Slots • Wi-Fi 6E

​CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X 16-core, 32-thread unlocked desktop processor

​Graphics Card: XFX Radeon RX 580 GTS XXX Edition 1386MHz OC+ 8GB GDDR5 VR Ready Dual BIOS 3xDP HDMI DVI AMD Graphics Card

​Ram: TEAMGROUP T-Force Delta RGB DDR4 64GB (2x32GB) 3600MHz (PC4-28800) CL18 Desktop Gaming Memory Module Ram White

​Storage x 2: SAMSUNG 980 PRO SSD with Heatsink 2TB PCIe Gen 4 NVMe M.2 Internal Solid State Drive + 2mo Adobe CC Photography, Heat Control, Max Speed, PS5 Compatible

​Power Supply: EVGA 220-G5-0850-X1 Super Nova 850 G5 • 80 Plus Gold 850W • Fully Modular • ECO Mode with Fdb Fan • 10 Year Warranty • Compact 150mm Size

​Keyboard #1: Logitech G413 SE Full-Size Mechanical Gaming Keyboard • Backlit Keyboard with Tactile Mechanical Switches • Anti-Ghosting • Compatible with Windows, macOS • Black Aluminum

​Keyboard #2: Logitech MX Keys Advanced Wireless Illuminated Keyboard • Tactile Responsive Typing • Backlighting • Bluetooth • USB-C • Apple macOS • Microsoft Windows • Linux • iOS • Android • Metal Build • Black

​Mouse: Wired, "very old" Macally two-button scroll borrowed from my brother-in-law. Was made for the Macintosh!! I said it was very old! But it works just fine.

This new PC was purchased so I would have a suitable platform to install and play Steam games, Portal 2 specifically, and other Steam games I've purchased, when support for Steam running on Apple OS's ends this month. This build, based on that specific, is really overkill, but hey, it's what I wanted.Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_5326.jpg Views:	4 Size:	101.8 KB ID:	676697
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_5318.jpg Views:	4 Size:	52.9 KB ID:	676698
    Last edited by Snowhog; Feb 07, 2024, 01:52 PM.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

impressive

Comment

Looks nice.
      Perhaps you could put the custom built PC on a shelf beside the window or the desk.
      Debian KDE & LXQt • Kubuntu & Lubuntu • openSUSE KDE • Windows • macOS X
      Desktop: Lenovo ThinkCentre M75s • Laptop: Apple MacBook Pro 13" • and others

get rid of Snap script (20.04 +)reinstall Snap for release-upgrade script (20.04 +)
      install traditional Firefox script (22.04 +)​ • install traditional Thunderbird script (24.04)

Comment

I like that open design of your custom built! 👍 😉
        An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Nice! I'd like something better than what I'm using now to move the settings in X-Plane higher than medium!
          Constant change is here to stay!

Comment

You need some blinkenlites to fill those empty spaces on the right
            Or moar drives, or something.

Comment

Tis true, the case is more than I needed for the components it holds. But that just means there’s room for upgrades and/or expansion.

I installed Steam and it runs great; better even, than on my iMac. I’m happy.

Comment

It's a good thing I only purchased 64GB (2 x 32GB) of the TEAMGROUP T-Force Delta RGB DDR4 RAM. Due to their size, the fan on the CPU cooler that's located over the RAM slots had to be mounted off-center. I'm wondering though, if the fans could be mounted in the other direction, so the outside fan would be on the left side (as seen in the photo), leaving the RAM slots unencumbered.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5329.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	89.4 KB
ID:	676729

Comment

In your case, you definitely could, since there are no sides. I did what you see in my system (same exact cooler), though not to the same level. My fan almost touches the ram, but not quite.

But you could definitely move the fans to the opposite sides (and reverse them to be blowing toward the fins, not sucking away)
                  You have enough room to lower that fan if desired, unless the sticks have a peak in the middle that is higher -- which seems to be the case for them, looking at pics of the ram.

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh View Post
                    But you could definitely move the fans to the opposite sides (and reverse them to be blowing toward the fins, not sucking away)
                    Thanks for the confirmation. I wonder why the tech who put my rig together, didn't do that. No matter, as for now, my needs are met, and as I'm not going to overclock the CPU, nor does anything I'm doing with this PC going to push the CPU, the cooling it's receiving with the fans as they are will be more than sufficient. If I do decide to get an additional 64GB of this RAM, then I'll move the fans.

Comment

I will guess that this directions is to the rear in a normal case, away from the "front" and any potential addons equipment, as well as being the shortest path to an exit.

Comment

I don't want to spoil your day, Snowhog, but in your reflection in the 2nd image I swear I was looking at myself. Same face shape, nose, , glasses and hair style. Are you related to anyone from Prinsburg, MN?

BTW, color me green because of your setup!
                        "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
                        – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek View Post
                          Are you related to anyone from Prinsburg, MN?
                          Hehe. Not that I know about!

Comment

Working...
                          X