Clear All

Get your head out of your apps and read

Hackers by Stephen Levy

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hacker...ter_Revolution

Just for fun by Linus Torvalds

https://www.amazon.com/Just-Fun-Stor.../dp/0066620732

and this wikipedia biography of Grace Hopper on Wikipedia

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grace_Hopper

Annnndddd...all those SMART people of "Linux" who sneer at the "newbies" and say..."YOUUUUU...NEEEEDDD to GET YOUR HANDS...oonnnnnn Linux..." and then dump you...

download DSL stick it on a usb or a cd and

https://distrowatch.com/table.php?di...tion=damnsmall

FIDDLE WITH xmms...

it is a "sound server"...with it... and about fifteen HOURS of searching on the net you can get your hands "on" Linux, and oh yeah try out some of the "clients" for it...if you don't know what a "client" is...find out...

FIRST...just find the wonderful skins and apply them to a client...

http://www.xmms.org/

lotsa fun...

woodlovesxmmssmoke

I used to play with those minor league distros but the older I got the more they became TMWL. (Too Much Work Linux). That’s why my wife and I sold our house and moved into a furnished apt. Now, when something breaks we just msg management.
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

LOL
      Same for me!
      However, for the new person to Linux, I have advocated for a decade or more that a really nice, little, comprehensible introductory app is best, in my opinion, for introducing the CLI way of doing things is XMMS.

i even wrote an article at a large Linux magazine and it had a certain following for quite a while but is now in archive.

I'm not advocating DSL per se. I never really liked it, but it is probably the only distro which is currently using it and even DSL is now, seemingly, going into moribund status.

And that's ok. The great elephant of Linux trudges on and ants are trodden upon and the elephant does not notice.

woodlikesxmmssmoke

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek View Post
        I used to play with those minor league distros but the older I got the more they became TMWL. (Too Much Work Linux). That’s why my wife and I sold our house and moved into a furnished apt. Now, when something breaks we just msg management.
        How do you and your wife like your new living arrangement?

I used to think I couldn't fathom living in an apartment, condominium, townhouse, etc. Then I got sick and had to rely on others to water my HEAVILY landscaped, large property. It made me wonder! Although I'm still relying on others for watering, I'm healthy enough now to see doing it myself as a realistic goal, so any thoughts of selling have gone away...for now.
        Xenix/UNIX user since 1985 | Linux user since 1991 | Was registered Linux user #163544

Comment

LOVE IT!
          If I had known what I know now I would have moved here 10 yrs ago, not 5.

It’s no more expensive living here in our 946 ft^2 apt than it was living in our 1,840 ft^2 home, which was fully paid for. No mortgage. We bought it new over 40 yrs ago. But, I was looking at replacing the roof, redoing the plumbing, replacing the insulation, and more.

And, living here is a LOT easier. All electric. Apt over our garage. All appliances supplied. Electronic security. The only things I fix are burned out light bulbs and the only maintenance I do is vacuuming the carpets. Management rinse & vacs once a year.

From our patio we have a wonderful of a wooded park with well maintained grass. Next to it is a bike/walk path that leads past two lakes filled with fish and Home to a flock of ducks. We are within walking distance to shopping, grocery stores, medical facilities... and my son’s home. My daughter was 1/2 mile away till she moved three miles away. IOW, a perfect location.
          "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”

Comment

It's wonderful to hear that you're so pleased with your new home, GG.

Owning a house is wonderful...but there's always something that needs to be done. That translates to $$$$. Right now I have one doorbell that works sporadically, and I don't know how to change a doorbell so I'm going to hire a handyman to come change both of them. (Their chimes are the same, so you can't tell from listening which door the person is at.) Then I have a new air conditioner I bought a few months ago for my bedroom...and it's still sitting in its box on the living room floor because I haven't had a handyman come to install it. The window it goes in is very wide, so a custom frame has to be built to accommodate it, and I doubt that its dimensions are exactly the same as the AC it's replacing! Finally, I have yet to get the kitchen door--and its frame and the drywall around it--fixed from when the police and firefighters broke down the door.

My cousin is in the process of having her roof replaced, and that's after recently earthquake retrofitting her house and getting new windows and doors.

Ah, yes, the joys of home ownership! (But, really, I love my house.)
            Xenix/UNIX user since 1985 | Linux user since 1991 | Was registered Linux user #163544

Comment

I had a leak in a hot water pipe under the utility room. The plumber charged me $150 to replace 6" of pipe and a leaky fitting. One month later, on the other side of that fitting, another leak occurred. The same plumbing outfit charged me $350 to fix that leak.

I decided that I could afford to learn to do my own plumbing and, in the process switch to PEX. Two hundred feet of PEX and necessary copper fittings, plus the appropriate crimping tool, cost $300. PEX isn't more expensive than copper when plumber fees are included in the total costs. I was in the process of changing the lines over one section at a time when we decided to sell. I left the remaining PEX, fittings and tools for the new owner. I put off a new roof by using fibered Aluminum roof paint to paint the roof. I was getting quotes from contractors when we decided to move.

The house had 6" thick walls with R30 in the roof, R22 in the walls and R6 under the floors. We could almost heat that place with a candle and cool it with an ice cube.

Over all, it was a great house, but getting increasingly expensive to maintain, all while my wife and I were getting physically less able to maintain it as time passed. She didn't like me climbing extension ladders to clean leaves out of the gutters, or walking on the roof to paint it, or patch damage done by a branch falling off a tree next to the house.

Now, our big decisions are about attending grandkids basketball and baseball games, or who we are going to go to dinner with. And, when's a good time to take a snapshot of my HD pool!

Comment

Working...
              X