X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How far should it go?

https://www.thecollegefix.com/post/43910/
    A private college in California will be hosting a pool party later today at which white people will be excluded, with only “people who identify as POC” permitted to attend.
    “Bring your chanclas and the homies over to our nice ass resort pool, LET’S TAKE UP SPACE,” the announcement reads, advertising the event as “a safe space for…students that identify as POC to come together and build community.”

“Enjoy some yummy snacks, tunes that slappp, and the company of other POC,” the listing reads.
    The announcement also advises attendees to anticipate “an anonymous Google form to notify us of people we should keep out <for the safety and comfort of all>!”
    Besides the obvious privilege of being able to hold such an event without criticism or legal threats by the SPLC or the ACLU, or hate crime charges by the DOJ, how much farther will they feel necessary to go in order to find "a comfortable safe space"?

Separate swimming pools?
    Separate water fountains?
    Separate Bath rooms?
    Separate Resturants?
    Establish Apartheid?

Martin Luther King is rolling over in his grave.
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

At least I got a chuckle out of the phrase “an anonymous Google form..." As if Google(r) won't know and record who sent and received it... Not to mention any replies...

Somebody(s) in the school administration bears responsibility for this, not the just the students who organized it and who attend. However, I think there will be no accountability nor will anyone be "called out on the carpet" for this.

I note it is in California, too...

This is not a good indicator of our future as a country.
    Kubuntu 24.04 64bit under Kernel 6.9.3, Hp Pavilion, 6MB ram. All Bow To The Great Google... cough, hack, gasp.

Comment

Everyone's skin has a colour.

Comment

Originally posted by Bings View Post
        Everyone's skin has a colour.
        I.E., has melanin, except for albinos.
        Whites aren't really white, Blacks aren't really black, Indians aren't really red, and Asians aren't really yellow.
        Just shades of melanin.
        "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”

Comment

Aren't decisions made according to melanin levels (skin color) exactly what MLK was arguing against?
          Isn't ANY decision based on ± skin color a decision based on race and therefore "racist"?
          Given a job based on race OR denied a job based on race is therefore a racist decision.

How about a job based on best qualifications for that job?
          Greg
          W9WD

Comment

More reasons to be informed, study, learn, make some effort to gain perspective. Cosmology is good. And for the topic at hand, might help to keep up with new findings in evolution studies. Whatever the evolution-origin model you currently subscribe to (as new fossil data surfaces), it's pretty clear that we all are probably related, and or share the same or very similar roots.
            Last edited by Qqmike; Apr 13, 2018, 07:10 PM.
            An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Originally posted by Qqmike View Post
              .... it's pretty clear that we all are probably related, and or share the same or very similar roots.
              Indeed. mitochondrial Eve, the mother of all humans living today. And the genetics of most people today are so mixed that essentially everyone is a Hinze 57.

Comment

Journey of Man, by Spencer Wells is good for how they have traced DNA, starting in Africa. Recently, April 2018, Discover magazine had a nice 2-page article summarizing current thinking, "Our New Past." Lots of interbreeding, so it seems! In fact, between Homo Erectus and Homo Sapiens. Seems only natural, when you think about it. And, of course, the Internet has tons of free articles on evolution -- current data and current thinking.
                An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

I wonder whether, in California, you're allowed to "self-identify" as a POC, like you're allowed to self-identify as a male or female?

Comment

Good question!
                    With the current count of “genders” now sitting around 27 it seems there is plenty of room for mental confusion about race and even species.

But, my gut feeling is that making a non-POC making a claim of being a POC wouldn’t fly. However, I recall a woman who claimed to be Black, wore her hair dyed black with tight kinky curls and married a Black guy. She was even elected head of the local NAACP ... until her White parents outted her.

Comment

Rachel Dolezal.

When she was a teenager, her parents adopted three African children. I'm guessing they started getting all the attention and Rachel figured the best way for her to regain some of that attention was to "become" black. She's really damaged goods with a history of, let's say, "stretching" the truth.
                      Attached Files
                      If you think Education is expensive, try ignorance.

The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has limits.

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek View Post
                        Good question!
                        With the current count of “genders” now sitting around 27 it seems there is plenty of room for mental confusion about race and even species.

But, my gut feeling is that making a non-POC making a claim of being a POC wouldn’t fly. However, I recall a woman who claimed to be Black, wore her hair dyed black with tight kinky curls and married a Black guy. She was even elected head of the local NAACP ... until her White parents outted her.
                        Wonderful Washington State
                        Greg
                        W9WD

Comment

Originally posted by SpecialEd View Post
                          Yup. She's the one!

Reading your link it appears that in her desparate bid for fame (and/or sympathy?) she is making all sorts of weird claims! Now, she is too toxic to even make a living under an assumed name, which is reaping what she has shown. That photo is classic -- megaphone in front of the mouth to amplify the toxicity.
                          Last edited by GreyGeek; Apr 14, 2018, 01:07 PM.

Comment

As a Californian who grew up in the '60s and '70s never seeing segregation, I'm appalled to hear about this reverse segregation party. Someone should have had the sense to realize it's just a bad idea.
                            Xenix/UNIX user since 1985 | Linux user since 1991 | Was registered Linux user #163544

Comment

I was born on the wrong side of the tracks in Englewood (South Denver) where I grew up I never saw any ethnic group except Whites. I was a careless student who couldn't care less about education. My only interest in school was chemistry, which taught me how to make explosives and funny-money. I went to college by accident, not design. The first Black I ever met was a member of a fraternity that I joined at the JR college I attended, 60-62. He became a VP of Wells Fargo in San Fran, CA. The JR college had about 300 students and about 10% were Black. All of them were roomed with Whites. My roommate was a full-blooded Sioux Indian who was a straight A student, who taught me, who almost never went to college, how to study and is responsible for me achieving a 3.57 graduate GPA, while working full time and supporting a family. He and I were life long friends, the best man at my wedding, and a true blood brother, by his native tradition, until he died in 2000 from a viral infection of the heart. He was superintendent of the largest school district in the US when he died.

He could tell you what being a dependent of the US government did to the self-respect of a proud people, and why he didn't take that route.
                              Last edited by GreyGeek; Apr 16, 2018, 12:41 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X