Will you de-Snap (K)Ubuntu 24.04?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Will you de-Snap (K)Ubuntu 24.04?

Just out of curiosity. Did Snap implementation matured enough to make you change your minds? Will you install Kubuntu 24.04 out-of-the-box?

My laptop is running Kubuntu 23.10. When 24.04 comes out, I'll likely wait until the first point release, then upgrade. Snap doesn't put me off.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by Montmorency View Post
      Just out of curiosity. Did Snap implementation matured enough to make you change your minds? Will you install Kubuntu 24.04 out-of-the-box?
      Sure, and then eliminate Snap Firefox, as always. I can't say that Snap has matured.

But, if there are multiple Snap apps, then there may be a decision needed.
      The next brick house on the left
      Intel i7 11th Gen | 16GB | 1TB | KDE Plasma 5.24.7 | Kubuntu 22.04.4 | 6.5.0-28-generic

Comment

Originally posted by jglen490 View Post
        But, if there are multiple Snap apps, then there may be a decision needed.
        At the moment the only app as a snap will be Firefox. That could change, but I think it unlikely.

On #kubuntu-devel & #kubuntu on libera.chat - IRC Nick: RikMills - Launchpad ID: click

Comment

Also this looks interesting: https://blog.mozilla.org/en/products...n-derivatives/
          On #kubuntu-devel & #kubuntu on libera.chat - IRC Nick: RikMills - Launchpad ID: click

Comment

Originally posted by acheron View Post
            I'm now quite confused. What is new about the "new package for Firefox on Linux"? Is there any advantage over just downloading the tarball and extracting it to /opt?

Begrudging the space taken up by the snap stuff, I de-snapped and the /opt approach has been painless.
            Regards, John Little

Comment

Originally posted by jlittle View Post

I'm now quite confused. What is new about the "new package for Firefox on Linux"? Is there any advantage over just downloading the tarball and extracting it to /opt?
              This is what I do. But many people will be much more comfortable with the familiar thing of a repo and a deb package, so Firefox is installed/unistalled/updated just as any other deb on the system.

Which is why Neon are pondering this: https://invent.kde.org/teams/neon/-/issues/161

Comment

Looks good, thanks acheron

I'll keep this in mind after April rolls around!
                The next brick house on the left
                Intel i7 11th Gen | 16GB | 1TB | KDE Plasma 5.24.7 | Kubuntu 22.04.4 | 6.5.0-28-generic

Comment

So far I haven't liked snaps so I always install Firefox from a .deb file or just download it from mozilla and do it that way. just my opinion.
                  I do use a couple of appimages which work fine for me.
                  Dave Kubuntu 20.04 Registered Linux User #462608

Wireless Script: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...5#post12350385

Comment

For personal use I will de-Snap Kubuntu 24.04.
                    If the installation is not for one of my own computers I will ask, of course.
                    Last edited by Schwarzer Kater; Jan 26, 2024, 12:07 PM.
                    Debian KDE & LXQt • Kubuntu & Lubuntu • openSUSE KDE • Windows • macOS X
                    Desktop: Lenovo ThinkCentre M75s • Laptop: Apple MacBook Pro 13" • and others

get rid of Snap script (20.04 +)reinstall Snap for release-upgrade script (20.04 +)
                    install traditional Firefox script (22.04 +)​ • install traditional Thunderbird script (24.04)

Comment

Nah. I'll just let them be.

Comment

Originally posted by Montmorency View Post
                        YES, ABSOLUTELY! It will be DE-SNAPPED, and DE-WAYLAND'D!

These are HARD RED LINES for me. No thank you! Period. Full Stop.

It appears that CUPS has been spared this round, but by the time 26.04 rolls around I am sure they will have horked up things between snaps (pfft) and and wayland (pfft!!!)

I've pretty much decided that I need to bring everything, and I do mean everything that I can to 24.04, I have 32b systems which can't go past 18.04 obviously, and so be it. They are not getting touched. Sad that we have to deal with this crap.

Why?

snaps are just yet another package format which is INFERIOR to DEB's. Period. Fix the issue, ie: DEB creation. I don't deny that its some sort of black arts skill... SO FIX IT! And NO the fix is not a new format!

wayland.. I use X11 via SSH, or XDMCP, or some other things which use X11 in a sort of "screen" mode, XPRA, and that ain't changing, ever period. They CHOSE to make wayland not comptaible with those modes of working, so I am incompatible with wayland. So be it. Again, I am not denying that 30+ year old software ie: X11 needs to be made into X12, again the chosen cure is worse than the disease in my opinion... and grouchy old man ain't changing his mind!

I put up with pulseaudio, being snuck in till it became a hard coded requirement, I normally nuked it, and just let ALSA do its thing...

Then the creep of systemd, and here we are with that mess plumbed in, and no devuan or whatever is not an option, nor is other non systemd distros as 99% of them don't use DEB's for a start, and in the case of devuan is so behind its pathetic.. and then basically software pretty much is uninstallable, unless its specific to non systemd setups.. so basically this was shoved down my throat, and I don't like it!

So I am drawing TWO HARD RED LINES in the sand! And thats going to be the end of the Linux journey. My "computing" days with heavy needs are coming to a close... I am going to probably build 1-2 more personal boxes, and 2-3 "VM" ProxMox or UNraid boxes for some things.. and thats it. Should last me till.... ? ? ? ? ?

Comment

I mostly agree with you, but I think and hope when (K)ubuntu 26.04 comes out (and Snaps aside) Wayland could be ready for my purposes.
                          At present (I have been testing several distributions with KDE Plasma 5.27 and 6 beta/RC and Wayland) Wayland unfortunately is still too much in "beta stage" for me…
                          I will keep checking with Plasma 6.0, 6.1, 6.x

Originally posted by rec9140 View Post
                          […] I have 32b systems which can't go past 18.04 obviously, and so be it.
                          […]
                          Ever thought about Debian?
                          In contrary to *Ubuntu/Canonical they still support 32-bit in their current release: https://cdimage.debian.org/debian-cd.../i386/iso-dvd/
                          Last edited by Schwarzer Kater; Feb 13, 2024, 02:49 PM.
                          Debian KDE & LXQt • Kubuntu & Lubuntu • openSUSE KDE • Windows • macOS X
                          Desktop: Lenovo ThinkCentre M75s • Laptop: Apple MacBook Pro 13" • and others

get rid of Snap script (20.04 +)reinstall Snap for release-upgrade script (20.04 +)
                          install traditional Firefox script (22.04 +)​ • install traditional Thunderbird script (24.04)

Comment

I'm NOT in love with SNAP and don't need it for my day-to-day online work. I no longer make systems for other people, so I can choose for myself.

My main (overwhelming) gripe is the bloat in using SNAP packaging. Sure, I'm offered the option to increase my RAM and HD sizes... Gee, thanks for the increased cost for me, the end user... Yes, I remember having 20Mb hard drives... As in Mega Bytes. Who will ever need more?

I could add a gripe about the passing of 32bit system support, but I can still move my older systems to an OS which still offers 32bit coding. I regret that this may not be an option for those of you who earn income from supporting customer systems. That handwriting has been on the wall for decades. Even back when I dreamed of having 128bit architectures (not going to happen, sorry).

Now let's not forget quantum computing architectures... And the helpful Cranial Jack surgery.

"Hal, open the pod bay doors"... "Hal?"... "Hal"?... Youngsters can go watch the movie: 2001,

Lest we forget how life works, may we all live long enough for this to be a problem. Like this decade...

For those who think that Cloud Computing will save us... Big Brother has job openings and will own your data... I'm sorry if you think I'm joking, because, sadly, I'm not.
                            ​​
                            Plan ahead and watch what is happening around us. Choose wisely.

Ask any other curmudgeons about their computer system plans.

Got abacus?
                            TWP
                            Last edited by TWPonKubuntu; Feb 13, 2024, 02:04 PM.
                            Kubuntu 23.11 64bit under Kernel 6.8.7, Hp Pavilion, 6MB ram. All Bow To The Great Google... cough, hack, gasp.

Comment

Originally posted by Schwarzer Kater View Post
                              I mostly agree with you, but I think and hope when (K)ubuntu 26.04 comes out Wayland could be ready for my purposes.
                              I agree too, and have the same hope.
                              Regards, John Little

Comment

Working...
                              X