The OS Wars Continue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The OS Wars Continue

For those who don't remember, or are too young in the software game, I first encountered the OS Wars (not a game) in the 1990's. At that time, IBM (OS/2) was opposing Microsoft (same old, same old). IBM caved and OS/2 support was removed. Now, to make a long story shorter, the ongoing war (it never really ended), involves Linux vs Microsoft (same old, same old). OK, you are up to speed now and this post is about the latest skirmish.

In case you don't follow the news, I recommend that you follow the works of Roy Schestowitz on Techrights. You don't have to like him, but you Should understand what he has to say about the OS Wars. I think he is fighting for Linux users like you and I.

The latest post by Schestowitz is here:

http://techrights.org/n/2023/12/07/The_Effort_to_Silence_Squash_GNU_Linux_Advocates_a nd_Press_Cove.shtml

This article is short and it lays out the tactics being used by Microsoft (same old, same old) against the Linux OS. To put it in War terms, Linux has been infiltrated by agents of Microsoft (same old, same old). The consequences, to we Linux users, are movement toward the Microsoft Universe and away from FOSS (Free and Open Source Software). "Be Afraid, Be Very Afraid"...

What can you (and I) do? Prepare to lose access to FOSS, as it is represented by the Linux OS. Here is what I am doing:

1) I keep legal backup copies of several of the Linux Distributions (Distros). I keep multiple copies in secure storage such as external hard drives and USB flash drives kept in EMP (Electro Magnetic Pulse) proof cases.

2) I Do Not Use Cloud Storage. Data stored on the Cloud is NOT under your control... Get it?

3) I hope it is obvious that I avoid using any software which is produced by Microsoft (same old, same old). Yes, this is Very Difficult to do and is getting more so as the referenced infiltration of Linux by Microsoft (same old, same old) progresses...

Am I ranting? Yes. Why are you not doing the same?

Rant to be continued as I feel necessary.

TWP
    Last edited by TWPonKubuntu; Dec 08, 2023, 09:13 PM.
    Kubuntu 23.11 64bit under Kernel 6.8.8, Hp Pavilion, 6MB ram. All Bow To The Great Google... cough, hack, gasp.

Rant as you choose ...

Your fear has come through loud and clear.
    The next brick house on the left
    Intel i7 11th Gen | 16GB | 1TB | KDE Plasma 5.24.7 | Kubuntu 22.04.4 | 6.5.0-28-generic

Comment

Thank you. Yes, it is fear... Watch your digital back.

TWP
      Kubuntu 23.11 64bit under Kernel 6.8.8, Hp Pavilion, 6MB ram. All Bow To The Great Google... cough, hack, gasp.

Comment

Watch everyone, believe a few, distrust the rest. Life goes on, no need for fear.
        Intel i7 11th Gen | 16GB | 1TB | KDE Plasma 5.24.7 | Kubuntu 22.04.4 | 6.5.0-28-generic

Comment

My philosophy: Fear stupidity and greed because they come with a high cost, frequently at the same time. This is true for both politics and business.

Conversely, Fear itself is a useful warning sign about what is happening. Hence my advice: "Be Afraid, Be Very Afraid".

Beware of responding to fear with anger because that may prevent rational thinking and lead to actions which don't resolve the situation which caused the fear reaction in the first place.

On the thread topic, I think we are facing a problem (Microsoft vs Linux) which is causing the Linux community to make bad choices. The analogy of letting the Fox guard the Hen House seems appropriate here. I hope most of the members of this community can understand who is the Fox and what is the Hen House...

When you see a storm approaching, look for safe harbor and move your assets into that safe harbor. Be prepared to ride out the storm. Expect some loses and act to minimize them.

Too much philosophy? Then be prepared to weather the storm...

TWP

Comment

bad choices like what?

Comment

Bad choices such as (but not limited to) allowing the installation of Linux under Windows using WSL (Windows Subsystem for Linux).

Can you do this now? Yes.

Should you do this? OPINION; MINE: Only if your employer demands that you do so and you wish to remain employed by them. It then remains YOUR choice, not theirs.

I made this choice: "I don't do Windows/Microsoft". At one time (Long, Long Ago and Far, Far Away...) I did use Windows (note the past tense). Linux was an epiphany for me in my programming business. I found that I once again had choice...

If a potential client stipulates that I must use Microsoft/Windows/WSL I choose not to contract with them in the first place.

If a current client changes their mind and demands the use of Windows, I point them to our existing contract terms (my terms, defined at the time the client contracted with me) which refuses to write for the Windows/Microsoft environment.

If any of you find my world view to be restrictive or unrealistic, ask: "Exactly who you think I work for?" Then extend the question to yourself...

My point is that we should assume control over our own lives... It is why we use Linux, isn't it?

I don't require that you agree with me, unless you want to sign a contract with me... Then we would need to talk about your needs.

"Harsh" you might think? Have you read the Microsoft ULA? "Jawohl, mein Führer!​"

TWP

Comment

Thank you.

This has been my judgement for many years, but my judgement is not a persuasive argument for most, even my own family. I judged facebook as evil (and did my best to have nothing to do with them) three years before the Cambridge Analytica scandal showed them as evil for all to see. But my family are deeply in to Microsoft and facebook; they ignore me.
                Regards, John Little

Comment

• GreyGeek
                  GreyGeek commented
                  Editing a comment
                  And Apple too!

I'm glad we agree on this point.

TWP

Comment

GreyGeek, Yes, Apple too, but I stopped using them with the Apple II computer.

Comment

In my professional life, I have used Microsoft products because they were the tools provided to me to do the work that I was paid to do. In my personal life, I have used Microsoft products, but for the past ~30 years I have chosen to use Linux and BSD. I made the change, not out of fear, but rather in Linux and to a lesser degree in BSD I found computing tools that were very useful and economically viable for my personal life. I also found communities that were understanding, supportive, and provided constant teachable moments.

You can have your own opinion about my professional use of Microsoft products as an employee of various contract companies building critical and useful systems for the US military. But quite frankly your opinion makes no difference to my life path, the life I am able to make for my family, and things I have done and continue to do for our great country.

So have your opinion, but do not ever judge someone else's life, especially when you have no idea who they may be and what's important to to that someone. Our society in this time is so overrun by false news, false views, and outright lies. It's no wonder we have a hard time getting along with each other and respecting our differences. Too much "in your face", and not enough "good to see your face".

Comment

And the same applies to yourself. You have a God Given right to your opinion. I also hope that you take my advice to heart and be aware of the fear response and what it is trying to tell each of us. Such Red Flags are part of our human thinking process but they require that we be cognizant when they appear in our lives.

On thread topic, our use of software and the 'net are opportunities to recognize erroneous information and malicious attempts to influence our thinking process. We are still learning how to recognize error and malice as displayed via digital media. We've only had about 50 years, two+ human generations, to train ourselves (become aware). Class is still in session, I hope.

It is a jungle out there; Lions and Tigers and Bears, Oh My! (Wizard of OZ).

TWP

Comment

At the turn of the century a CPA named Bill Parish analyzed Microsoft's business and wrote an article for the NYT.
                        https://parishinvestments.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/06/39728-2001-112801microsoftcirclesofinfluencebybillparish11280 1.pdf

One thing he pointed out was how MS paid its programmers, most of whom were temps. Using a Xerox machine MS woiuld print stock options and give them to the temps as payment for their programming services. The temps had to take the options to a broker and cash them in order to obtain money to live on. The temps also had to pay the brokerage fee. Meanwhile, MS wrote the options off as a tax deduction. With sales offices in Nevada they didn't have to pay sales taxes, and MS paid $0 on $15B in income during this period. (Jeff Bezos used a similar scheme to avoid paying income taxes for a period of 20 years, which he became a billionaire.) This put many competing companies, like IBM, at a disadvantage because IBM would pay their employees in cash, which reduced net profits, thus reducing the amount of monies they could use for R&D, marketing, bonuses, etc.

Parish wrote many articles about MS during this period. This was the first one he published, in 1999:
                        http://billparish.com/msftfraudfacts.html

#3 on that page details the stock option fraud.
                        Last edited by GreyGeek; Dec 11, 2023, 10:08 AM. Reason: correct typos
                        "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
                        – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

I feel old now: "Turn of the Century". Where did the time go?

TWP

Comment

Yes, it's a jungle - in oh, so, many ways. And for both really good and exceptionally bad reasons.

Comment

Working...
                            X