This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Logitech trackball stopped working

Moments ago I was using my System76 laptop when its Logitech M570 wireless trackball stopped working...just...like...that! Yes, I cleaned the ball and its contacts, I changed its battery, but still NOTHING.

Ideas, please!
    Xenix/UNIX user since 1985 | Linux user since 1991 | Was registered Linux user #163544

Try rebooting the system? Perhaps the driver lost contact...

You could try reinstalling the driver for that mouse. Was it automatically recognize by the system or did you need to use a proprietary driver?
    Kubuntu 23.11 64bit under Kernel 6.8.8, Hp Pavilion, 6MB ram. All Bow To The Great Google... cough, hack, gasp.

Comment

I rebooted but to no avail. There was no driver for this Trackman--all of my computers automatically recognized them. All it took was plugging in each unit's...reception thingy and that was that.

I've tried unplugging the thingy and putting it in a different USB port, but that didn't help. I have not [yet] tried moving the trackball to another computer.
      Xenix/UNIX user since 1985 | Linux user since 1991 | Was registered Linux user #163544

Comment

That's the next step, test on another computer. Let us know how it goes.
        Kubuntu 23.11 64bit under Kernel 6.8.8, Hp Pavilion, 6MB ram. All Bow To The Great Google... cough, hack, gasp.

Comment

Trying on another PC will let you know if the device is good or not. If it works on another PC, then your laptop USB hardware is suspect. To test that, plug in some other USB device; a mouse perhaps?
          Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
          "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

https://itstillworks.com/troubleshoo...l-6913579.html
            "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
            – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

It's the trackball.

Well, they're currently selling for about $25, and this one lasted several years, so I think I got my money's worth!

Comment

Want to hear the funniest thing? When the new trackball arrived, I moved the old one out of the way. Now, mind you I had tested it numerous times in numerous ways prior to this. Guess what? Its green light lit up! I plugged it in and it worked fine. So now I have an extra one.

Comment

Extra isn't a bad thing. At least you have a 'backup' of a piece of hardware!
                  Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
                  "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by DoYouKubuntu View Post
                    Want to hear the funniest thing? When the new trackball arrived, I moved the old one out of the way. Now, mind you I had tested it numerous times in numerous ways prior to this. Guess what? Its green light lit up! I plugged it in and it worked fine. So now I have an extra one.
                    KEWL!!

woodlikesitsmoke
                    sigpic
                    Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Comment

Yeah, extra is good! I've plugged the old one in on an old desktop, replacing its corded Trackman with the cordless one. I think that machine is running 8.04...although it may be 7.04. Anyway, I plugged it in and it was immediately recognized and functioning, no configuring required. Nice!

Can someone remind me of the CLI command to discover which version of Kubuntu you're using? My brain fog is still very thick!

Comment

uname -a

cat /etc/os-release

lsb_release -a

cat /etc/issue
                        If you think Education is expensive, try ignorance.

The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has limits.

Comment

Of course there's always screenfetch and neofetch.
                          If you think Education is expensive, try ignorance.

The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has limits.

Comment

Originally posted by SpecialEd View Post
                            cat /etc/os-release
                            cat /etc/issue
                            Cool, and thanks, I didn't know about those. /etc/os-release would be useful for shell scripts.
                            Of course there's always screenfetch and neofetch.
                            I might use one of those one day.
                            Regards, John Little

Comment

Originally posted by SpecialEd View Post
                              uname -a
                              does not yield the *buntu release.

cat /etc/os-release
                              yields 'no such file or directory.' However, "cat /etc/lsb-release" yields the desired info.

lsb_release -a

cat /etc/issue
                              both work.

Thank you!

Comment

Working...
                              X