Texas Rangers won the world series.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Texas Rangers won the world series.

I was setting here trying to find out why Amazon was going to take two weeks to ship an iPhone to me. My wife spoke out "Jerry, the Texas Rangers won the world series!".

That amazed me. I didn't even know the world series was being played, never mind which teams were playing in it. I don't watch TV and I never saw any news article about it during my Internet browsing over the last week. Did they play 7 games?

When I was in the 5th grade all the kids in my elementary school (Englewood, CO) were assembled in the lunch room on Tues the 7th of October at 1PM to watch the last game of the 1952 world series on TV. Mickey Mantel's bat won the game and Billy Martin's fielding preserved it. Mel Allen and someone else was giving the play-by-play. TV was relatively new back then and baseball was the national sport.
    Now, I guess, not so much. Not for me, anyway. I don't pay any attention to the Nebraska Cornhusker's football games any more.

PS - I forgot that we are entering the Xmas shopping season and deliveries are going to take longer.
    Last edited by GreyGeek; Nov 01, 2023, 09:34 PM.
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Isn't the important info which Linux distribution they used during the game?
    Kubuntu 23.11 64bit under Kernel 6.8.8, Hp Pavilion, 6MB ram. All Bow To The Great Google... cough, hack, gasp.

Comment

I forgot to ask them! My bad!
      "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
      – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Why is it called the "world series".

Comment

Lots of Info on the sport

https://www.startpage.com/do/dsearch...nguage=english

TWP
          Kubuntu 23.11 64bit under Kernel 6.8.8, Hp Pavilion, 6MB ram. All Bow To The Great Google... cough, hack, gasp.

Comment

Originally posted by cookiemuncher View Post
            Why is it called the "world series".
            'cause the U.S. thinks it's the center of the Universe.
            Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
            "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Just for the record this is the real reason:
              The real reason behind the name is thanks to Barney Dreyfuss who was the owner of the Pittsburgh Pirates. In 1903, he wrote to the owner of the Boston Red Sox challenging them to a ‘World’s Championship Series’. The Pirates were the best team in the National League and the Red Sox were the best in the American League.

The games went ahead and Boston won the series five games to three. Over time, the 'World’s Championship Series' name has been shortened to the World Series and has been played every year apart from 1904 and 1994.
              Dave Kubuntu 20.04 Registered Linux User #462608

Wireless Script: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...5#post12350385

Comment

Working...
              X