Snaps vs. Flatpack

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Avidan2006 View Post
    I understand what you're saying, and yeah, I'd feel better if they just used Flatpak, as I prefer it, but they're not going to in the foreseeable future.
    You are quite right. Canonical is all in with it, and *buntu users are going to have to ride along (which is probably why the official ubuntu seems to be losing ground to distributions like mint).

Originally posted by Avidan2006 View Post
    They see this as the best decision for server side implementation, but I guess they decided "in for a penny, in for a pound" and pushed it desktop side, too. Server side makes sense, but the desktop is being pulled along for the ride.
    That is the core source of the technical issues...it tries to be a solution for everything (Desktop/Server/IoT), and as a result it does nothing particularly well. There is a better use case for servers, but even on servers there are better choices for production use (like docker).

And the vendor lock-in is a no-go for any serious adoption. Canonical is a fickle company, and smart money is not going to push out IoT devices dependent on continued availability of it, and subject themselves to Canonical's whims (although I admit thee is a lot of not-so-smart money floating around for exploitation).
    Last edited by kubicle; Jul 20, 2023, 10:56 PM.

Comment

I think I have objectively never agreed more with anything written about this subject than with kubicle's last two posts!
      (I had to look up what "fickle" means, though. Good to learn something new every day. ).
      Last edited by Schwarzer Kater; Jul 21, 2023, 05:44 AM. Reason: typos
      Debian KDE & LXQt • Kubuntu & Lubuntu • openSUSE KDE • Windows • macOS X
      Desktop: Lenovo ThinkCentre M75s • Laptop: Apple MacBook Pro 13" • and others

get rid of Snap script (20.04 +)reinstall Snap for release-upgrade script (20.04 +)
      install traditional Firefox script (22.04 +)​ • install traditional Thunderbird script (24.04)

Comment

• GreyGeek
        GreyGeek commented
        Editing a comment
        Yup! @kubical is a jewel!
        One has to be well grounded in facts to disagree with him.
        BTW, the references to Nitrokey, Nextbox and the Register article hardened my resolve to install Bookworm ASAP, and work out the problems later.

Originally posted by kubicle View Post
      You are quite right. Canonical is all in with it, and *buntu users are going to have to ride along (which is probably why the official ubuntu seems to be losing ground to distributions like mint).

That is the core source of the technical issues...it tries to be a solution for everything (Desktop/Server/IoT), and as a result it does nothing particularly well. There is a better use case for servers, but even on servers there are better choices for production use (like docker).

And the vendor lock-in is a no-go for any serious adoption. Canonical is a fickle company, and smart money is not going to push out IoT devices dependent on continued availability of it, and subject themselves to Canonical's whims (although I admit thee is a lot of not-so-smart money floating around for exploitation).
      You are correct, and I'm just going to have to ride it out. I have tried just about every distro out there, installing Debian, Arch, Fedora, OpenSuse, and I have tried almost all of the major and minor distributions, trying each flavor in hopes of something working for exactly what I need. Now, I'm aware there is no such thing as a perfect distro, but for me Kubuntu comes exceptionally close. It has KDE, my favorite DE and most flexible for me, and Ubuntu, being a Debian based distro that makes a nice "set it and forget it" environment where I can just do what I need, from work to games, and even vegging out and watching movies.

I avoided coming back to Kubuntu for the longest time because of Snap. I don't like it, I don't want it, I'd rather Kubuntu stick to Flatpak and .deb repositories, but right now Canonical has a wild hair and they're refusing to let go of it, so I'm doing my best to come to terms with it, because I have nowhere else to go that meets my needs, quite frankly, and I hate that I feel this way, because even on its own, I consider Kubuntu a terrific distro, and well suited to my needs.

Comment

Avidan2006: Did you already try Tuxedo OS 2? This could be something for you - one of my former customers already uses it and is satisfied with it (a Kubuntu refugee - I could keep him off Linux Mint this way ). And my own test installation runs without any problems since version 2 was released in February.

See Overview: Kubuntu, its parent and some of its siblings.
        Last edited by Schwarzer Kater; Jul 21, 2023, 03:10 PM. Reason: typos

get rid of Snap script (20.04 +)reinstall Snap for release-upgrade script (20.04 +)
        install traditional Firefox script (22.04 +)​ • install traditional Thunderbird script (24.04)

Comment

Originally posted by Schwarzer Kater View Post
          Avidan2006: Did you already try Tuxedo OS 2? This could be something for you - one of my former customers already uses it and is satisfied with it (a Kubuntu refugee - I could keep him off Linux Mint this way ). And my own test installation runs without any problems since version 2 was released in February.

See Overview: Kubuntu, its parent and some of its siblings.
          I have, yes. It's interesting enough and would almost work, but it puts me off because it's generally tailored around a specific set of hardware systems sold by that company, so parts of the software are unavailable to the user because they don't own that branded laptop/desktop. A non-Tuxedo computer is kind of a second class citizen in a sense, as silly as that may sound to others, and I didn't like that.

Comment

Well, one could simply hide these programs in the Applications Menu without loosing anything - but if it doesn't work for you, it doesn't work!
            Kubuntu certainly can be a good choice and we all are anxious to see what the future holds.

Comment

Originally posted by Schwarzer Kater View Post
              Well, one could simply hide these programs in the Applications Menu without loosing anything - but if it doesn't work for you, it doesn't work!
              Kubuntu certainly can be a good choice and we all are anxious to see what the future holds.
              Thanks, I know it seems weird, but I want my install to feel like home, and for some weird reasons Tuxedo made me feel like I was visiting someone else's house. lol

Comment

Working...
              X