EOL threads. Why we following MicroSoft

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

EOL threads. Why we following MicroSoft

I don't really want to complain, but why are "older" EOL threads now locked?
    Why are we really following the dumb version of Microsoft. Upgrade or get locked out?
    Seriously. I have a 12 year old PC. Upgrading causes problems. I've mentioned the lack of sound, and now I have no followups.
    Oh! BTW. your instructions on www.thislink./ add version number is WRONG. it appears you need to add version number-04-focal-fossial-dinosaw
    PS. I am not happy with this decision.

Originally posted by CharlieDaves View Post
    I don't really want to complain, but why are "older" EOL threads now locked?
    It has been this way for ages. Well three years ago, we moved them to the bottom.

Because those versions are old, and will have outdated information. Plus server loads etc ad nauseum (though is one is likely a bit less a concern than it used to be).
    In Linux, and even KDE, even one year's difference can mean a lot of changes or differences, and the fixes or cures have a very high chance of being irrelevant.
    Same for *buntu infrastructure.

There aren't that many of us in here, and which is why you may not get 'hits' on all your problems.
    Even fewer stick to an LTS past its EOL date.
    It is also a reason why we made EOL topics read-only.
    Better to start a new topic, but reference the old one, maybe. We do have the 'catchall' section for things like this.......
    Also, for things such as sound, you may need to broaden your scope outside of a desktop-centric forum, and where there will be more people with hardware experience with *buntu systems.​
    We as a (small) group simply seem to lack the experience related to your issues.

But to be honest, a bit of the reason is simply because our forum is already a behemoth in terms of topics, sub-topics, and sub-sub-sub-topics.
    Leaving the old, EOL, outdated content more visible and active does not gain any visibility whatsoever, outside of those few who would go and look for such content.

fwiw, I have a laptop that is 13 years old. My NAS hardware until this past September used to run Kubuntu LTS, upgraded every 2 years since ~16.04, is also 13 years old.
    My mini-PC seems to be from 2015 era specs. A LOT of us in here do use old stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh View Post
      It has been this way for ages. Well three years ago, we moved them to the bottom.
      Older people dislike change, but I don't mind it when it works.

We as a (small) group simply seem to lack the experience related to your issues.
      (Small) group. Where would a better group be found.

But to be honest, a bit of the reason is simply because our forum is already a behemoth in terms of topics, sub-topics, and sub-sub-sub-topics.
      Yeah. It's a problem everywhere. Administrators and forum creators, need to think outside the BOX. YOU (Administrators) create the groups, and the "Tags", or edit them. I don't know if it is possible to have a drop down selection of "Identify my problem". The basic primary forums are great, maybe with the exception of "KDE".. Well we are all using it after all.

Basically if someone wants to create a new thread, maybe they should be "guided" as to what is actually wrong.
      OR
      submit an error, or page screen grab, or something, or in an "unknown" area, and it's locked until a senior or administrator can view it, have a discussion about it (PM's) with the author, then create an appropriate thread, worded as such.
      I've been a member of several forums and they all have the same issues. It gets bogged down with mis-worded rubbish. Peoples english varies with region. One reason I NEVER EVER will be an administrator of anything.
      PS. All Kubuntu forum Administrators, have my sympathy.

PSS. Off-topic. My 22.04 newer version of Kubuntu has suddenly lost it's boot screen..... & I just don't care

Comment

Working...
      X