• Show
Clear All

net neutrality dead

https://www.theverge.com/2017/12/14/...rules-repealed

VINNY
    i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
    16GB RAM
    Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

And that's not the only thing the President-of-the-un-informed voter wants to de-construct.
    An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

At least we won't have all those annoying private jet taxes once the new tax law is enacted.

Comment

Saw that. Argued against it vociferously on Gab, but most (not all) there refused to see the wisdom of all packets being equal.

They'll soon find out what that means when their web traffic slows down because they didn't buy the "premium" tier (I.E., packets which don't have their TTL set to some low figure, forcing constant resending of packets), and those who pay for the premium tier will never realize that their speed is the same as it was before Net Neutrality was killed.

Even though you pay for your Internet connection, and so do content providers, NOW your ISP can charge you monthly for delivering NetFlix, or Hulu or whatever, to you. You'll get charged on both ends for the same service. EMail will become an "extra" service and charge. So will your DNS service. You will be forced to use their routers, for a fee of course. They will find ways to nickle and dime you to death in small charges. The ISPs will also outlaw P2P in their ToS and actively block it. (Not that it was any good to begin with)

My response will be to cancel Amazon Prime, just like I canceled cable TV. IF they begin charging for email I'll stop using that. I pay everything electronically through my bank. I will stop that and return to demanding paper bills and paying by check. IF I do that then I don't really need the Internet at all. I can swap my iPhone6+ for a flip phone and reduce my phone bill to just calls.

The first 40 years of my life without the Internet was just fine. The last years of my life will be just fine without the Internet, if push comes to shove.
        "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
        – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Although I agree with all that you said, GreyGek, Im not quite sure why you canceled Amazon Prime. Amazon was one of the numerous web companies that was against the move. Amazon doesnt benefit from this as far as I can see...the only ones who really benefit here are the ISPs. The real way to change the situation is to vote for people who support net neutrality.

Comment

Does anyone remember the net before "Net Neutrality"?
            The less government in my life the better.
            Greg
            W9WD

Comment

Originally posted by GregM View Post
              I remember...

Click image for larger version

Name:	NetNeutralityMeme.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	79.0 KB
ID:	643686
              If you think Education is expensive, try ignorance.

The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has limits.

Comment

Not before, but what has happened during. In a town that had only ONE practical ISP how could I forget. Their last trick. lsat January, was their final: "Your promotion has ended!", and they doubled my bill from $35 to $70/mo for a 35Mbps connection. The NEXT MONTH they did it again and my bill became $120/mo for 35Mbps. I was forced to negotiate for a new speed and "promotion" but was determined to drop them the instant a new ISP, which was making waves, was available. They tried to stop that ISP (from another Neb town) from establishing a contract with the City, but Allophones.com promised the city fathers free 1Gbps symmetrical FO connections to all city and state bldgs, schools and libraries. Allo took a year to lay the FO cable but my apt was wired up around the 1st of September and now I pay $70/mo for a 100Mbps symmetrical cable with a static IP address. No caps, no throttles. (Did I mention it was fast?) The "promo has ended" scam was the last that TWC/Spectrum will ever pull on me. And I will never have to put up with 35Mbps down (which tested at around 18-20) and 10Mbps up (which tested at around 3) again.

People in droves were turning in their TWC/Spectrum cable modems. TWC/Spectrum dropped contracts, "promos", fees for modems or wifi usage, and a "we'll send a service tech when we feel like it attitude".

BUT, THIS MORNING, an ad from AT&T (my iPhone ISP) popped up on my iPhone asking if I wanted a "faster service". This on what is supposed to be their best and fastest, 6 lines with unlimited data and a full service connection. Have tiers come this fast? Apparently so. Just one day later.
                "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”

Comment

Originally posted by SpecialEd View Post
                  I remember...

[ATTACH=CONFIG]7269[/ATTACH]
                  +1000 ... Oh, I remember those.

Comment

The item I liked the most about the 2015 Net Neutrality ruling, and what the ISP's hated the most, is that all packets are equal. The ISP's could not discriminate packets based on $ paid. I.E., tiers. You watch. Tiers will be back before Santa has a chance to put lumps of coal in the ISP's stockings. So will charges for services that have been free from the beginning. Remember the ad about the bank president having a dream about charging extra for printed statements using the "ink fee"?

Comment

I hear that, until those greedy corporations start digging into your wallet ...
                      The next brick house on the left
                      Intel i7 11th Gen | 16GB | 1TB | KDE Plasma 5.27.11​| Kubuntu 24.04 | 6.8.0-31-generic

Comment

Net Neutrality was passed in 2015
                        https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Net_ne..._United_States
                        Greg
                        W9WD

Comment

and killed yesterday ,,,,,and that sucks

VINNY
                          i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
                          16GB RAM
                          Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Sort of. From the article you listed:

In December 2010, the FCC approved the FCC Open Internet Order banning cable television and telephone service providers from preventing access to competitors or certain web sites such as Netflix. On December 21, 2010, the FCC voted on and passed a set of SIX net "neutrality principles":
                            And from: https://www.theatlantic.com/politics...-lanes/456891/

The FCC first enacted net-neutrality regulations in 2010 that barred broadband providers from blocking access to any websites or "unreasonably" discriminating against any traffic. Consumer-advocacy groups had hoped for stronger rules, and most of the cable and telecom providers felt the rules were an acceptable compromise.
                            Last edited by SpecialEd; Dec 15, 2017, 10:15 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by vinnywright View Post
                              and killed yesterday ,,,,,and that sucks

VINNY
                              Technically Congress has to approve but I wouldn't hold my breath for them to reject it.

Comment

Working...
                              X