This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've missed you all

Hi there everyone! I'm back after a long, unplanned absence due to illness. I won't bore you with too many details, but the bottom line is that I was THIS CLOSE to dying; I had sepsis, rhabdomyolysis, cardiac failure, renal failure, respiratory failure and a 10x8 cm liver abscess. It took six months in hospitals and rehab centers, followed by several months of in-home nursing care, plus seven surgeries, to improve enough that I now just need regular visits with my doctor plus frequent lab work. If you've never been that sick, you're probably not aware of what a humbling experience it is, or at least was for me.

I have post-sepsis syndrome, which is challenging, but for the most part I'm improving day by day. A few days ago, despite my overall state of confusion (which is normal with PSS), I managed to replace the keyboard on my System76 Kudu Professional! It felt like a huge accomplishment. (BTW, I *LOVE* my S76 laptop. Definitely my favorite laptop of all time.)

How is everyone? I hope you're all doing okay. Anything fun or exciting happening around here lately? Fill me in!
    Xenix/UNIX user since 1985 | Linux user since 1991 | Was registered Linux user #163544

Hi DoYouKubuntu! Sure sorry to hear about the ordeals you have been through, and sure glad you made it back and are here again. Keep us posted on how you are feeling through it all.

News here? Well, everyone has mastered UEFI, thanks to my how-to's. And since Microsoft took over Skype, it is working perfectly on all Linux operating systems. Vinny now runs 10 or 11 computers, all at once, all top of the line. There's been a LOT of talk about a new file system, something like BFSTR, or BTSRF, or something along those lines--it turns on your computer (after making your morning coffee), loads everything, runs it all, and serves your favorite ice cream as you are computing things. No one reads hard-copy magazines any longer. And Kubuntu 14.04 was just voted (by mutual agreement here) as the best OS ever.

I think that covers the FAKE news here. There's more at the White House or on Fox if you have time to spare to read it all.

Seriously, good to have you back and in good, recovering state. I'll bet you're just glad to be alive.

One day at a time; every second is a miracle; it's the small things in life that really count.
    An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Originally posted by Qqmike View Post
      Hi DoYouKubuntu! Sure sorry to hear about the ordeals you have been through, and sure glad you made it back and are here again. Keep us posted on how you are feeling through it all.

News here? Well, everyone has mastered UEFI, thanks to my how-to's. And since Microsoft took over Skype, it is working perfectly on all Linux operating systems. Vinny now runs 10 or 11 computers, all at once, all top of the line. There's been a LOT of talk about a new file system, something like BFSTR, or BTSRF, or something along those lines--it turns on your computer (after making your morning coffee), loads everything, runs it all, and serves your favorite ice cream as you are computing things. No one reads hard-copy magazines any longer. And Kubuntu 14.04 was just voted (by mutual agreement here) as the best OS ever.

I think that covers the FAKE news here. There's more at the White House or on Fox if you have time to spare to read it all.

Seriously, good to have you back and in good, recovering state. I'll bet you're just glad to be alive.

One day at a time; every second is a miracle; it's the small things in life that really count.
      Thanks for the well wishes and the info, Qq. You're absolutely right that I'm glad just to be alive. My poor daughter (adult, lives out of state) was slammed by one ton of bricks after another as the doctors found one thing after another. Although she was in my room at the time, I have no recollection of doctors telling her they were likely going to put me on dialysis. Poor thing, she was so worried. I ended up not needing dialysis, but the whole experience was extremely traumatic. I had something I'd never heard of before, ICU delirium, during which I had all these weird thoughts and perceptions about the room I was in; I thought it was like a huge warehouse, and people kept traipsing in and out to get supplies!

My, my, but I've missed out on a lot of news...er...fake news... As for Fox, et al, I found during my illness that I can't even stand to watch normal news programs/channels, let alone Faux News and the like. Something happened to me that I can't explain, but I just don't want to hear doom and gloom stories constantly and, unfortunately, that's basically what the news consists of. Right now we're getting inundated by 'breaking news' about the fires that are raging around the LA area, and even that is hard to take, although I know I need to stay updated just in case they head my way. (So far, so good.)

Let's see, I believe I'm using 14.04 to type this. No complaints here!

Anyone have any ideas why the numeric pad's 1, 2, and 3 keys are not working on my new keyboard? I have a call in to System76 right now because the support person I spoke to couldn't immediately figure it out. I just installed this keyboard on Monday, and ALL other keys are working fine but those three. Running xev yields output for every key except the numeric pad's 1, 2, and 3; it's like they don't exist. I was unsure about the ribbon cables' connections when I got done putting in the new keyboard, as ribbon cables were new to me, but since all other keys and the keyboard's backlighting work, it doesn't seem like a connection issue...right? :?

Can someone kindly point me to where I renew my membership? I'm lost and can't figure it out...
      Last edited by DoYouKubuntu; Dec 11, 2017, 04:03 PM.
      Xenix/UNIX user since 1985 | Linux user since 1991 | Was registered Linux user #163544

Comment

H#*LY C%@P!

I was thinking about you just the other day, wondering what might have happened to you. I’m glad that you didn’t boot into the great konsole!

Welcome back.
        Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
        "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by DoYouKubuntu View Post
          Anyone have any ideas why the numeric pad's 1, 2, and 3 keys are not working on my new keyboard? I have a call in to System76 right now because the support person I spoke to couldn't immediately figure it out. I just installed this keyboard on Monday, and ALL other keys are working fine but those three. Running xev yields output for every key except the numeric pad's 1, 2, and 3; it's like they don't exist. I was unsure about the ribbon cables' connections when I got done putting in the new keyboard, as ribbon cables were new to me, but since all other keys and the keyboard's backlighting work, it doesn't seem like a connection issue...right? ?)

Can someone kindly point me to where I renew my membership? I'm lost and can't figure it out...
          Most likely a defective keyboard.

As for renewals; I assume you mean here, with KFN; click on Settings and Paid Subscriptions down on the left.
          Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
          "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Something happened to me that I can't explain, but I just don't want to hear doom and gloom stories constantly and, unfortunately, that's basically what the news consists of.
            I just watched a PBS presentation on mindfulness--anti-anxiety, anti-depression medicine for the modern era.
            An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog View Post
              H#*LY C%@P!

I was thinking about you just the other day, wondering what might have happened to you. I’m glad that you didn’t boot into the great konsole!

Welcome back.
              Thanks, Snowhog. It's been quite a journey!

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog View Post
                Most likely a defective keyboard.

As for renewals; I assume you mean here, with KFN; click on Settings and Paid Subscriptions down on the left.
                I must not have been logged in before when I tried to find paid subscriptions by starting in my profile. It's all good now, thanks to you.

As for the keyboard...ugh. I do NOT look forward to replacing it. For the first time in 30+ years, I was really uncomfortable working on a computer and don't want to do it again.

Comment

Have you watched or read Anita Moorjani's account of her NDE?

Comment

Originally posted by DoYouKubuntu View Post
                    As for the keyboard...ugh. I do NOT look forward to replacing it. For the first time in 30+ years, I was really uncomfortable working on a computer and don't want to do it again.
                    O but you DID it ,,,and it is a great exercise in patience and manual dexterity and will help get your mind back on track ,,,,,

but seriously ,,,glad you are OK.
                    I also was wandering what had become of you and am glad you made it through that horrible ordeal .

nice to see you back

VINNY
                    i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
                    16GB RAM
                    Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Glad you are recovering!! Couldn't imagine going through all of that.

Comment

Originally posted by Qqmike View Post
                        Have you watched or read Anita Moorjani's account of her NDE?
                        No, I haven't. Frankly, I'm not likely to read it any time soon--it's only been in the very recent past that I've felt strong enough, emotionally and physically, to even read my medical records. Just a month or two ago I finally listened to the frenzied phone messages from relatives trying to get a hold of me--while I was stuck on my floor, having collapsed and virtually unable to move. The last message was from my aunt, ending with, 'okay then, we're calling the police...' And they did. My daughter, from out of state, contacted the police and within minutes the police and paramedics were here, breaking down my kitchen door and rescuing me. My poor cats, especially my favorite, Joy Noelle, were so traumatized by the breaking down of the door, the alarm going off, and all these big husky guys walking through the house with their equipment. To this day, when she hears the 'beep beep beep' of an ambulance backing up (like on TV), or an ambulance siren, she sits up and looks at the door!

Perhaps with time I'll be able to read the book.

Comment

Originally posted by vinnywright View Post
                          O but you DID it ,,,and it is a great exercise in patience and manual dexterity and will help get your mind back on track ,,,,,

but seriously ,,,glad you are OK.
                          I also was wandering what had become of you and am glad you made it through that horrible ordeal .

nice to see you back

VINNY
                          Thanks, Vinny. And you're so right about the keyboard replacement being good for my brain and hands. I've lost a lot of strength due to my illness, and it's an ongoing process of getting stronger. As I was attempting to replace the keyboard, I had to ask my helper to unscrew several screws that just wouldn't budge for me. You're right, though, I DID do it!

Comment

Originally posted by MoonRise View Post
                            Glad you are recovering!! Couldn't imagine going through all of that.
                            Thanks, MoonRise. It's been a hell of an adventure!

Comment

It's been twenty LOONNNGGG months DoYouKubuntu! Glad you are back!
                              Qqmike didn't mention that Btrfs also brews Uncle Lee's Green Tea at precisely 105F, and, it walks the dog.
                              (Seriously, if you didn't install KDE Neon User Edition using Btrfs as the filesystem then you should do so immediately. Check Oceanluver's Btrfs posts to learn why)

In March of 2015 my wife's heart surgeon told me that he didn't think my wife would live through her 2nd open heart surgery, and he was visibly shaking when he told me. He also said he didn't want to do the surgery and recommended a procedure done at the Cleveland Clinic only 5 times, but I insisted that he do it. She did survive, but the first year was very rough. And, she recovered well from her hip replacement surgery a year ago July. The leaking annular ring has sealed on its own and so have the leaks in her aortic and pulmonary valves, and her heart functions have pretty much returned to normal. I, on the other hand, a long time runner with a resting hear rate of 55 and 120/80 bp at 74, had an episode of AFib a year ago and it came back with a vengeance this September. Her heart now gives a better EKG than mine. We both take Metoprolol and Warfarin. She's 73 and I'm 76. The light at the end of the tunnel is close enough that I can see the filaments in the bulb.

Reading your experience, neither my wife or I had anything near to what you experienced. YOU are one tough old bird! Your presence on this forum has been missed.
                              "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
                              – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Working...
                              X