This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mozilla pilots Cliqz engine in Firefox to slurp user browsing data

I note the opinions of other forum members re Mozilla(r), with which I concur...

This article illustrates how Mozilla(r) is going the wrong way (IMO) and will (among other things) drive me completely away from the brand.

http://www.zdnet.com/article/firefox...browsing-data/

Yes, I get that this is "just" a small test and is not to be (yet) done on all installs of Firefox(r). Small steps before jumping off the cliff.

"Users who receive a version of Firefox with Cliqz will have their browsing activity sent to Cliqz servers, including the URLs of pages they visit," Mozilla says. "Cliqz uses several techniques to attempt to remove sensitive information from this browsing data before it is sent from Firefox."

"Cliqz does not build browsing profiles for individual users and discards the user's IP address once the data is collected," the firm added.
    If you are willing to believe this, I have same Arizona land, complete with bridge and surfing...
    Kubuntu 24.04 64bit under Kernel 6.9.3, Hp Pavilion, 6MB ram. All Bow To The Great Google... cough, hack, gasp.

Pretty dodgy...

Comment

Without a discussion of the business model (that is, how they make money) assurances are not credible.
      IMO there needs to be a transparent alignment of the interests of the users and those making money.

Regards, John Little
      Regards, John Little

Comment

Which is why I moved to PaleMoon.
        "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
        – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

They're trying it out in Germany which, I've heard, is pretty privacy-aware.

They claim it can be uninstalled. So that's the opt-in/opt-out argument all over again.

I don't understand why they're so keen on wanting to suggest sites to their users. And this isn't their first try. Smells bad
          Kubuntu 20.04

Comment

I suspect (no real proof) that they are attempting to monetize their user base... "Follow the money".

Since they acknowledge that they do have the IP address at some point in the process, I think they can use that information to sort the browser history, even though they don't store your and my IP addresses in their database, it may have already been used. There is a narrow line between respect for privacy and the willingness to "profile" online users.

Am I "stirring the pot"? Perhaps, but why should I accept loss of my privacy?
            Kubuntu 24.04 64bit under Kernel 6.9.3, Hp Pavilion, 6MB ram. All Bow To The Great Google... cough, hack, gasp.

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek View Post
              Yep; pale moon & iridium

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk
              Registered Linux User 545823

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek View Post
                You don't happen to use Breeze-Dark with Pale Moon do you?
                If you think Education is expensive, try ignorance.

The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has limits.

Comment

Originally posted by SpecialEd View Post
                  You don't happen to use Breeze-Dark with Pale Moon do you?
                  Nope. The default Breeze.
                  "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
                  – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

GG
                    I too installed Pale Moon recently. It took about 30 minutes to configure, copy my bookmarks from Firefox(r) and install a few extensions. It feels very much like Firefox(r) and I think I will make it my default browser.

I did the install from a repository managed for Ubuntu based OS's and it was seamless too.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Comment

Working...
                    X