No announcement yet.

Looking into Lunar Kubuntu 23.04

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

At least Kazam works very well on X11. Today I used Kazam on Lunar with X11 to record a video for my Wife and it worked perfectly I am sure that the Wayland package imv is not designed to handle applications such as Kazam.

Comment

Only 1 month left before the release of Lunar Lobster 23.04

This last month has, for me, been eventful. My first event was from the Lunar kernel update to version 6.1 on my Laptop which has an external monitor with only a NVIDIA video card. The end result was my Laptop became unusable because of the Kernel 6.1/NVIDIA card incompatibility. To fix this, I decided to install Kinetic 22.10 on it which didn't have the Kernel 6.1. It is now working very well. This laptop has only one video card (NVIDIA) and no other alternative standard card to access.

The other event was with my LTS Jammy System which is in a separate partition on my HP Laptop with an AMD video card and an external monitor as well. This system has the pre-release plasma and frameworks which resulted in the system being unusable. So I replaced my 22.04 LTS Jammy by 22.10 Kinetic and all is now working very well.

So until NVIDIA software is upgrade to accommodate Wayland and the 6.1 Kernel, those with no alternative video card to the NVIDIA card are rather restricted in what system is available for use. If you have a second video card, which in my case is an Intel Core i7-8705G with an AMD video card, you can use Wayland 100% of the time. So we wait patiently for NVIDIA and AMD developers to update their software to accommodate Wayland and Kernel developments so we can utilise the full potential of these video cards.

Now the Table below shows a summary of the System Info changes over the last month.​
      Info Centre Item 2 Months to Go 1 Month to Go
      KDE Plasma Version 5.27.0 5.27.3
      KDE Frameworks Version 5.103.0 5.104.0
      QT Version 5.15.8 5.15.8
      Kernel Version 6.1.0-12-generic 6.1.0-16-generic
      This just shows a summary to all the major Info Centre Versions. I am now greeted with a pleasing new snow capped mountain background for the login screen.

For those who have systems which will work with one of two video cards, the performance is fantastic and a pleasure to use. Congratulation to the developers on the progress made with Lunar development.

Last edited by NoWorries; Apr 19, 2023, 10:07 PM.

Comment

I have a presentation this weekend with LibreOffice Impress and an embedded video. I have just been testing this and to my horror, an old bug has surfaced again, namely the video is incorrectly displayed on the control screen at a reduced size and not on the presentation screen.

This is a feature of Wayland. On X11 it behaves as it should BUT the white line on the right edge and bottom edge of the presentation screen is annoyingly present for all slides.

I haven't purged and reinstalled LibreOffice as I have identical behaviour on my 22.10 system as well. I just hope this is easy to correct at this Easter Time.​

Looks like a purge and re-install of LibreOffice solves the problem. All is now working very well and I am very much relieved.
        Last edited by NoWorries; Apr 06, 2023, 04:04 PM. Reason: Solved the problem

Comment

I couldn't believe what I saw when I brought up my system to once again edit my LibreOffice presentation. To my surprise, Wayland now has a white line on the right and bottom edge of the presentation screen as does X11. So you could say Wayland has joined the white line club. BTW purging LibreOffice and then installing it again does not solve this problem.

Comment

They say a picture is worth a thousand words. Unfortunately the white lines mentioned above are difficult to totally capture using Spectacle. What I did was start LO Impress and defined a blank screen using Layouts. I then selected Slide Properties and defined the colour as black. I then used Format to choose "Widescreen". If I then use F5 to project the image, I get a white line on the right and bottom edge of the screen. The attached image illustrates this. The left half of the image is the projected image. Unfortunately the bottom edge is not picked up well as it should be the same width as the right edge in the projected image.

Click image for larger version

Name:	LibreOffice_Impress_Lines.jpg
Views:	217
Size:	7.2 KB
ID:	669818

Comment

Hm, the " Zombie bright line". Always coming back…
              Your screenshots display very well what you have written about in all your former posts.

At this point I would try another office suite (if I had not done that already) - or write bug reports and send money, candy and threats to the LibreOffice people from dawn till dusk.
              Debian KDE & LXQt • Kubuntu & Lubuntu • openSUSE KDE • Windows • macOS X
              Desktop: Lenovo ThinkCentre M75s • Laptop: Apple MacBook Pro 13" • and others

get rid of Snap scriptreinstall Snap for release-upgrade scriptinstall traditional Firefox script

Comment

Originally posted by Schwarzer Kater View Post
                Hm, the " Zombie bright line". Always coming back…
                Your screenshots display very well what you have written about in all your former posts.

At this point I would try another office suite (if I had not done that already) - or write bug reports and send money, candy and threats to the LibreOffice people from dawn till dusk.
                I am not sure that it is LibreOffice at fault as I only had this problem in the last week or so as it was working without a problem when LibreOffice was updated. I have thought that the problem is with the packaging and other updates done by Canonical. I have exactly the same problem on my 22.10 system which has LO 7.4.6.2 as against my Luna LO 7.5.2.2. I am just playing a waiting game in the hope that the Kubuntu developers are able to resolve this.

Comment

I should not have blamed the LibreOffice guys and girls without actual proof - you are right.
                  But temporarily you could either use another office suite or change the distribution (did you try KDE neon or TUXEDO OS as those are the ones closest to Kubuntu I know of - not counting Kubuntu Focus…?).

get rid of Snap scriptreinstall Snap for release-upgrade scriptinstall traditional Firefox script

Comment

Thanks for your interest in helping me solve this problem. I have found that the white lines are not too prominent on a presentation that I gave and nobody commented about white lines being present. My problem is that I endeavour to achieve perfection but I never do.

I did think that I could possibly see how LO Impress works on Windows 10. At the moment that is not possible but I will keep it in mind if the situation arises, For the moment I will just wait for the developers to find a solution to this problem which they have fixed in the past.

Comment

It is now about 1 Week before the release of Lunar. There is one major show stopper which will affect many and that is the HP Printer not working. The best I have done with it is to print a black and white portrait document which does have a colour image in it. On my 22.10 system it works perfectly and the command line text from starting the HP Printer is:
                      Code:
                      $ hp-toolbox

HP Linux Imaging and Printing System (ver. 3.22.6)
                      HP Device Manager ver. 15.0

Copyright (c) 2001-18 HP Development Company, LP
                      This software comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY.
                      This is free software, and you are welcome to distribute it
                      under certain conditions. See COPYING file for more details.

QSocketNotifier: Can only be used with threads started with QThread
                      ​
                      However on Lunar with either X11 or Wayland I get:
                      Code:
                      $ hp-toolbox

HP Linux Imaging and Printing System (ver. 3.22.10)
                      HP Device Manager ver. 15.0

Copyright (c) 2001-18 HP Development Company, LP
                      This software comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY.
                      This is free software, and you are welcome to distribute it
                      under certain conditions. See COPYING file for more details.

Traceback (most recent call last):
                      File "/usr/bin/hp-toolbox", line 280, in <module>
                      toolbox = ui.DevMgr5(__version__, device_uri, None)
                      ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
                      File "/usr/share/hplip/ui5/devmgr5.py", line 238, in __init__
                      core = CoreInstall(MODE_CHECK)
                      ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
                      File "/usr/share/hplip/installer/core_install.py", line 240, in __init__
                      self.passwordObj = password.Password(ui_mode)
                      ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
                      File "/usr/share/hplip/base/password.py", line 94, in __init__
                      self.__readAuthType() # self.__authType
                      ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
                      File "/usr/share/hplip/base/password.py", line 119, in __readAuthType
                      distro_name = get_distro_std_name(os_name)
                      ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
                      NameError: name 'get_distro_std_name' is not defined. Did you mean: 'get_distro_name'?
                      ​
                      So I am not sure if this is a HP problem or a Launchpad/Kubuntu problem. I certainly hope a solution to this can be found before the release date. I found a bug report on this at https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...p/+bug/2006460 and it has been confirmed but is unassigned even though the bug report was 7th Feb
                      Last edited by NoWorries; Apr 11, 2023, 11:20 PM.

Comment

I needed to use Kdenlive to edit a video. To my surprise it failed to launch on Lunar and gave the error message

Plasma Desktop Workspace
                        Plasma Workspace
                        chdir: no such file or directory

The version I have is 22.12.3. On my Kubuntu 22.10 system, Kdenlive 22.08.2 launches correctly.

I was able to get Kdenlive up on Lunar using the command line and successfully did the editing I needed.

The command line to launch kdenlive gives:
                        Code:
                        $ kdenlive
                        Could not detect package type, probably default? App dir is "/usr/bin"
                        profilePath from KdenliveSetting::mltPath:  "/usr/share/mlt-7/profiles"
                        meltPath from KdenliveSetting::rendererPath:  "/usr/bin/melt"
                        Empty metadata for  "audiochannels"
                        Empty metadata for  "audioconvert"
                        Empty metadata for  "imageconvert"
                        Empty metadata for  "avcolour_space"
                        Empty metadata for  "avcolor_space"
                        Empty metadata for  "avdeinterlace"
                        Empty metadata for  "swscale"
                        Empty metadata for  "swresample"
                        Empty metadata for  "deinterlace"
                        Empty metadata for  "telecide"
                        Empty metadata for  "glsl.manager"
                        Empty metadata for  "movit.convert"
                        Empty metadata for  "movit.crop"
                        Empty metadata for  "movit.resample"
                        Empty metadata for  "movit.resize"
                        plugin not available: "avfilter.acompressor"
                        plugin not available: "avfilter.aecho"
                        plugin not available: "avfilter.agate"
                        plugin not available: "avfilter.atadenoise"
                        plugin not available: "avfilter.bwdif"
                        plugin not available: "avfilter.deblock"
                        plugin not available: "avfilter.dedot"
                        plugin not available: "avfilter.deflate"
                        plugin not available: "avfilter.derain"
                        plugin not available: "avfilter.doubleweave"
                        plugin not available: "avfilter.field"
                        plugin not available: "avfilter.framestep"
                        plugin not available: "avfilter.fspp"
                        plugin not available: "avfilter.graphmonitor"
                        plugin not available: "avfilter.hqdn3d"
                        plugin not available: "avfilter.inflate"
                        plugin not available: "avfilter.lagfun"
                        plugin not available: "avfilter.loudnorm"
                        plugin not available: "avfilter.mcdeint"
                        plugin not available: "avfilter.random"
                        plugin not available: "avfilter.removegrain"
                        plugin not available: "avfilter.separatefields"
                        plugin not available: "avfilter.shuffleplanes"
                        plugin not available: "avfilter.sr"
                        plugin not available: "avfilter.tmix"
                        plugin not available: "avfilter.w3fdif"
                        plugin not available: "avfilter.weave"
                        plugin not available: "avfilter.yadif"
                        plugin not available: "frei0r.baltan"
                        plugin not available: "frei0r.bgsubtract0r"
                        plugin not available: "frei0r.bigsh0t_eq_mask"
                        plugin not available: "frei0r.bigsh0t_eq_to_rect"
                        plugin not available: "frei0r.bigsh0t_eq_to_stereo"
                        plugin not available: "frei0r.bigsh0t_hemi_to_eq"
                        plugin not available: "frei0r.bigsh0t_rect_to_eq"
                        plugin not available: "frei0r.bigsh0t_stabilize_360"
                        plugin not available: "frei0r.bigsh0t_transform_360"
                        plugin not available: "frei0r.delay0r"
                        plugin not available: "frei0r.delaygrab"
                        plugin not available: "frei0r.lightgraffiti"
                        plugin not available: "frei0r.lightgraffiti"
                        plugin not available: "frei0r.tehRoxx0r"
                        plugin not available: "ladspa"
                        plugin not available: "ladspa.9354877"
                        plugin not available: "movit.unsharp_mask"
                        plugin not available: "timewarp"
                        plugin not available: "region"
                        === /// CANNOT ACCESS SPEECH DICTIONARIES FOLDER
                        QQmlEngine::setContextForObject(): Object already has a QQmlContext
                        Hspell: can't open /usr/share/hspell/hebrew.wgz.sizes.
                        kf.sonnet.clients.hspell: HSpellDict::HSpellDict: Init failed
                        :::: USING TRACK COMPOSITING:  "frei0r.cairoblend"
                        This approach to launch kdenlive is not user friendly, so I hope this error is not to difficult to fix.

Comment

How about the Flatpak or AppImage versions instead?
                          Both are two of the three officially supported ways to install/use Kdenlive according to their website:
                          https://kdenlive.org/en/download/
                          Otherwise there is their PPA for *Ubuntu.
                          Last edited by Schwarzer Kater; Apr 17, 2023, 08:18 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by NoWorries View Post
                            I needed to use Kdenlive to edit a video. To my surprise it failed to launch on Lunar and gave the error message
                            In case no one notices this problem:
                            Code:
                            ubuntu-bug kdenlive
                            You might compare the menu entries for both Kinetic and Lunar, maybe there is a simple typo or something, considering that launching it directly with no special switches (cli) does work.

http://iso.qa.ubuntu.com/qatracker/

Originally posted by Schwarzer Kater View Post
                            How about the Flatpak or AppImage versions instead?
                            In the context of 'testing' an upcoming release, whatever is being provided by Ubuntu/Kubuntu natively is sort of important

Comment

Yes, yes, yes - I was in my "finding a solution"-mode.

Comment

I have reinstall Lunar and removed all kdenlive packages as well as all references to kdenlive in my home directory. I then installed kdenlive and it gives the error message:

Plasma Workspace
                                chdir: No such file or directory

When I use a kdenlive file from a previous edit on Lunar, kdenlive launches correctly and I can do further editing if I choose to.

On my 22.10 system the version of kdenlive is 4.22.08.2. This works without a problem. I then found a way to install 4.22.12.3, which is the same version as on Lunar. This also works without a problem.

To me it seems as though there is some file on Lunar that is used by kdenlive which results in it failing to launch from an Icon.

As far as Flatpak or AppImage are concerned, I have not found a way to use this as a solution. Any help to solve this problem would be appreciated

Comment

Working...
                                X