This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Joys of upgrading

Due to a fault, I've just got a new motherboard, cpu and ram. I changed from an AM3 to AM4 processor. I have a large heatsink and fan I bought, wanted to use it again. No problem, AMD never change the size of their CPUs. What I hadn't reckoned on was the holes to mount the bracket on have moved by a few mm. An open rant, whoever thought up that idea is a steaming fetid ****bag. It's so similar, I didn't realise until I placed the heatsink, thermal compound applied and all. Imagine how happy I was. Also, the stock cooler doesn't has spring screws which require to wedge the loose backing plate so they reach. /rant over

Lol, research in new hardware standards is always a necessity. The old saying about the word 'assume' comes to mind. I am quite familiar with it

On the opposite side of the upgrade spectrum, I decided to build a NAS from parts and junk, mainly from an old HP 8300 SFF PC that CAN hold three 3-1/2 inch HDDs, if you ditch the optical drive for an adapter tray, and velcro the SSD to the lid somewhere.
    CAN, if you don't mind the heat, as the intake fan is the CPU fan, and the exhaust fan is the PSU . The drives were getting toasty, except for the one directly under the PSU
    One drill and a slim 15mm thick fan I somehow had in my junk pile did help quite a bit, actually. A bit ugly, since I didn't bother to actually lay out the vent holes. I did have a spare lid.

But I started browsing for dirt cheap cases with a bit more room and provisions for fans.

Then I stumbled across a NEW motherboard that oddly supports both 3rd gen Intel i7 CPUs, DDR 3 ram, and has an m.2 slot that supports PCIE nvme ssds, of which I happen to have a spare one sitting around, perfectly sized for a NAS OS and a bit extra??
    So not only do i have a cheepy open-box case, I have a brand-new cheepy mobo to attach even more old parts. Which did mean a new CPU cooler too, since the HP one definitely wasn't going to work.
    So the hardware side is all good, but the wallet is a bit lighter, and I finally took all the PC leftovers to recycling.

Comment

Can we say Frankputer?
      Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
      "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by Bings View Post
        Due to a fault, I've just got a new motherboard, cpu and ram. I changed from an AM3 to AM4 processor.
        You can usually use an AM3 HS with AM4, but you need to get an adapter kit from the manufacturer. They are cheap, but its a PITA. The stock cooler (stealth or Wraith), assuming you did not buy an X3D, is sufficient until the bracket arrives if you run at stock, which is actually the best way to run Ryzen. Ryzen's own internals do a better job of maintaining performance than most overclocking tweaks where the performance gain is usually not worth the extra heat, power use, and fan noise. Frankly, if I were to build this again, I would not bother with my 3rd party HS and just use the stock.

Comment

Yeah, apparently I can order new mountings for free from the heatsink manufacturer. Just annoys me because it's an unnecessary change and I got caught out .

This is the idle temp with the stock cooler, it can go down to 27 degrees:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20221011_135750.png
Views:	112
Size:	143.5 KB
ID:	665864

I used the stress utility, ran the cpu solid at 100% for 40 seconds, it got up to 75 degrees. Don't think there will be a reason for me running it as hard as that so I might as well just keep the stock cooler unless there's a problem as it's on there now

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20221011_144332.png
Views:	118
Size:	127.8 KB
ID:	665865

Nice graphics provided by the system resource widget, which is great.

Comment

Working...
          X