PC monitor conundrum

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PC monitor conundrum

Right now I'm using a 24" 1080p 60Hz Dell IPS monitor and for the most part I'm happy with it... Except I was on a low budget when I bought it to replace a dead Acer 27" screen.

Now I want something bigger for my old eyes but as you can see below my GPU is not the best and cannot be replaced unless I buy a more powerful PSU!

27" 1080p IPS 75Hz (or VA) monitors are not that expensive but I've found a great deal on a 27" VA 1440p 144Hz screen, it's the same price as a 1080p!

Did I mention I run X-Plane? No, well I bet with that 1440p monitor my FPS will drop like mad, although I'm sure it would be fine for day to day work and browsing!

I'm wondering if running it at 1080p and 75Hz just for X-Plane would work!

I don't want to buy a 1080p monitor now and find myself upgrading my PC further down the line!

Any thoughts?

Processor: AMD Ryzen 5 3400G with Radeon Vega Graphics
    Memory: 16310MB
    GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti/PCIe/SSE2 4Gb​
    Constant change is here to stay!

Or have a dual monitor setup?

You will probably enjoy the 1440 resolution andcrefresh rate, but turning it down to 1080 will probably make it look like crap, or at least blurry. The concensus is to keep the native resolution and crank down the quality over forcing the monitor to scale things .

Having been in a similar situation in the last year, I am not kicking myself for going with a second 27" 1080 monitor over a 1440. It was mostly a space issue.

When I recently upgraded the crusty rx480 to a new rx6600 I think I am liking the higher frame rates i get at 1080 versus those I'd get at 1440.

I play Doom Eternal and Metro Exodus so for me 1440 on the rx480 would not cut it. This card is a touch better than your 1050 iirc. I have no experience with xplane

What sort of frame rates do you get now?

Comment

I don't have any space for a second monitor on my tiny desk. I do have a second monitor downstaris exactly the same spec as the one I'm using though...

I haven't measured the frame rate but if I turn up any one of the settings one more notch the SIM complains. Right now it seems to be at the sweet spot.

I think you're right and I should go with a 27" 1080p. There are some good prices on Acer or Dell , and there's a new player here called Koorui! They can go as low as 16,000 yen ($112) for a 1080p 27" 75Hz!

My settings:

Comment

Well, well, well... This may have to go on the back burner for a while. Once again I'm short of funds...

It occurred to me that I haven't been home for NINE years so I've booked a flight and hotel for London for about this time next month!

The major carriers are flying over the Pole since they can't fly over the Soviet Union. The cheapest frights go via Dubai or Abu Dhabi but I got a reasonably priced fright on Cathay Pacific from from TYO to HKG to LHR over the Pole!

I'll deal with the monitor if I get a deal or when I get back in November!

Comment

I'm returning to this because a Dell 32" 1080p VA curved panel I've been eyeing is at its lowest price ever.

If I don't snap it up now I'll be kicking myself!

https://is.gd/36FVAT

Comment

The box is massive and darn heavy!

https://photos.app.goo.gl/QLMGP7QW4yGbAEcJ6

Comment

Congratulations to your early Christmas present.

Although I don't get why so many people use 16x9 displays (e.g. 1920x1080) for other things than watching movies (for example on a TV) and not 16x10 (e.g. 1920x1200) for "widescreen"…
              The latter proportion seems to be much more suitable for all other purposes concerning computer and office work in my opinion.

But may the new toy last a long time for you!
              Debian KDE & LXQt • Kubuntu & Lubuntu • openSUSE KDE • Windows • macOS X
              Desktop: Lenovo ThinkCentre M75s • Laptop: Apple MacBook Pro 13" • and others

get rid of Snap scriptreinstall Snap for release-upgrade scriptinstall traditional Firefox script

Comment

Originally posted by Schwarzer Kater View Post
                Although I don't get why so many people use 16x9 displays (e.g. 1920x1080) for other things than watching movies (for example on a TV) and not 16x10 (e.g. 1920x1200) for "widescreen"…
                price and (more likely) variety and availability, probably.

Originally posted by Beerislife View Post
                I'm returning to this because a Dell 32" 1080p VA curved panel I've been eyeing is at its lowest price ever.

If I don't snap it up now I'll be kicking myself!

https://is.gd/36FVAT
                That is the same line as my Dell 27", tho I have the boring 27" version. Quite nice, for the price. It was tough getting it home on a 49cc scooter -- in a rain storm.

Comment

I don't understand a preference for 1080p on monitors larger than 24″. Maybe when used as a television...

For me these days the sweet spot of size and pixels per cost is 27″ 1440p (aka QHD or 2560x1440).
                  Regards, John Little

Comment

As claydoh answered my question with "price" (among others), one could give the same answer to you, I guess.

And I am quite happy to not have to scale something up on an high-dpi monitor so I could read it with my bad eyesight. As I have understood GTK, Qt and other frameworks handle scaling differently under X (which I image could lead to inconsistencies) and scaling under wayland is no real scaling at all at the present time (they are working on it as I saw in an Youtube video of an Australian…).

My only monitor at home is 24" (16x10), by the way…
                    Last edited by Schwarzer Kater; Dec 01, 2022, 05:40 PM.
                    Debian KDE & LXQt • Kubuntu & Lubuntu • openSUSE KDE • Windows • macOS X
                    Desktop: Lenovo ThinkCentre M75s • Laptop: Apple MacBook Pro 13" • and others

get rid of Snap scriptreinstall Snap for release-upgrade scriptinstall traditional Firefox script

Comment

1080 price is the preference, 1440 is still too $$ even for factory re-certified units,. though prices have been dropping on those. Maybe I'll eventually swap one of mine for a 1440. if I finally get more work.
                      That Dell I got was semi-impulse, dirt-cheap, around 150 USD new, and at the time was paired with my existing 24 inch Acer, and for a well-paying job that didn't pan out.

I did verify that I can sort of squeeze 2 1440 screens in here. No, squeezing isn't necessary, just some furniture moving. Ugh.

Comment

It was a good price at a few pennies over 25,000 yen. That was my limit for a new monitor. I'm glad I went with 1080p! My eyes are loving it and ground objects are more visible in X-Plane!

It takes up the whole width of my desk though. At least I don't have to squint or increase the font size, I'm now thinking about making them smaller!

Comment

Working...
                        X