This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

KUT Perfection

I have to say that 22.04.1 has been for me a nearly perfect release. The only flaw is the same boot message about empty names that many of us are getting which should be fixed soon if reports are right.

My rig is a hodgpodge of components that date as far back as 2003, like my Wacom Graphire 3 tablet that still works wonderfully. My audio interface is a USB MAudio 2 XLR combo in/4 channel out (4 tsr,, 2 RCA) driving a pair of KRK Rokit 5 that dates from 2005. Even Vista doesn't support it. However I also have modern Bluetooth and wireless devices, like airPods and JBL speaker, not to mention my phone which can connect via USB/WiFi/Bluetooth (often all at the dame time) and easily tether to the PC. I can access every kind of removable media known to man. It properly communicates with all my cameras (I use the Sony ecosystem). My PC itself is a basic R5 2600X on an MSI X470 based mobo, with 16gb Kingston HyperX and a handful of Samsung NVME/SSDs and a pair of older Nvidia GTX video cards each driving a HD monitor (a 27" LG and a 46" Philips).

The only bit of hardware not working flawlessly is my printer... which seems to be broken (built in diagnostics say a print head overheated) ... so no the fault of the OS at all.

Software like Davinci Resolve and Blender can make full use of all available resources installed. I use the GPUs for cuda rendering and it is fun to see both cards and the CPU all working together at 100% to render a project. Things that would take hours a few short years ago are accomplished in minutes now. Coolbits unlocked the driver so I can overlock the GPUs to squeez about 15% more performance out of them.

Speaking of overclocking... Games! OMG.. amazing! Steam/Proton/Wine have all made huge progress. My steam library is not huge but it contains 25 AAA games, the vast majority of which are Windows only games. Yet 100% of them, from Blade Runner (2000) to Need to Speed Undercover (2007), to Tomb Raider (2013) to Cyberpunk 2077 (2021) run. They don't just run. They run flawlessly. One, Knights of the Old Republic 2 wont even run in windows. It runs perfectly in Linux. I have played over 500 hours of Cyberpunk 2077 and had but one crash the entire time (mostly in 21.10, but its been no different in 22.04)... on a game famous for being unstable in its native Windows. Every game sees my generic xbox controller or Thrustmaster joystick (if needed).

I have been using, testing, benchmarking and pushing Kubuntu 22.04.1 hard for a little over a week now and it has been a perfect experience for me. No exaggeration. Flawless. Everything works exactly as it should. 100% perfect.
    Attached Files

Thank you for your report.
    It is nice to hear that everything is working flawlessly for a change (most people post in forums if something doesn't work - me included). :-)
    Debian KDE & LXQt • Kubuntu & Lubuntu • openSUSE KDE • Windows • macOS X
    Desktop: Lenovo ThinkCentre M75s • Laptop: Apple MacBook Pro 13" • and others

get rid of Snap script (20.04 +)reinstall Snap for release-upgrade script (20.04 +)
    install traditional Firefox script (22.04 +)​ • install traditional Thunderbird script (24.04)

Comment

Originally posted by Schwarzer Kater View Post
      It is nice to hear that everything is working flawlessly for a change (most people post in forums if something doesn't work - me included). :-)
      I must remember that; though there's a natural tendency to avoid claiming flawlessness prematurely. By the time there's no problems for a few years, it's very old news.
      Regards, John Little

Comment

OK, 99% flawless... automatic module compilation via DKMS borked on the Kernel upgrade today and I had to run it manually to get my wifi adapter working again. Not sure what is going on there.

Comment

Working...
        X