This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Finally swapped HDD for SSD

On my quest to become fully solid state, yesterday I finally swapped my internal 1Tb Seagate spinner for a 1Tb Crucial MX500 SSD!

Copying all my files from one to the other via a USB to SATA connector took longer than swapping them out! I shall put the Seagate away for safe-keeping.

This Lenovo Ideacentre 510a-15ar was originally fitted with a 256b NVMe boot drive and the Seagate spinner, and although /home is on the NVMe drive, all my files and data were on the HDD.

didgiKam creates thumbnails much more quickly now, especially in folders containing lots of pictures!

X-Plane was also on the HDD but I'm not sure if it loads faster now it's on the SSD....

My next project is to buy a 1Tb NVMe drive to replace the small boot drive, then I can move all my data to that and keep the Crucial just for X-Plane!

Then maybe bump the RAM up from 16Gb to 32Gb... One thing at a time, we don't want the boss complaining!

Of course, I do still have two HDD drives in an external USB caddy, one for backups and the other for videos.
    Last edited by Beerislife; Jun 27, 2022, 06:15 PM.
    Constant change is here to stay!

Nice when you can do things like that!!

Comment

I've been putting a few pennies away in a tin each time until I finally had enough. Also, I was watching the prices on amazon and it fell into my budget!

Comment

My last buy was that way. The KFocus machine I have. All else have been looking around finding things people don't want and throwing them together.

Comment

I can put any PC purchase down as a business expense and get a tax break on it, as well as any kitchen stuff we need.

Comment

Originally posted by Beerislife View Post

My next project is to buy a 1Tb NVMe drive to replace the small boot drive, then I can move all my data to that and keep the Crucial just for X-Plane!
            Of course, I do still have two HDD drives in an external USB caddy, one for backups and the other for videos.
            My son and his wife bought me an HP-17cnxxx laptop for Father's day. It had a 1TB spinner as the main drive. I replaced it with a 500GB Samsung 980 Pro and put a Samsung 1 TB NVMe drive into its m2 port. It's temp limits are:
            Warning Composite Temperature Threshold : 355 °K (82 °C)
            Critical Composite Temperature Threshold : 358 °K (85 °C)
            The problem I had, which you shouldn't have because a desktop has a lot more internal space than a laptop, is that there wasn't enough room to put even a 1/4" metal heatsink. I did try one, and it kept the NVMe temp to around 52C, but with it on the NVMe I couldn't close the laptop backplane.

I ended up tying 0.5mm silicon heat conducting strips with elastic bands. It works, but barely.

I use it to store BTRFS snapshots. I did a "btrfs send source destination | btrfs receive /backup" (backup is the NVMe). It took about 10 minutes. I watched in horror as the T for NVM Ctl steadily climbed. It reached 84C, missing disaster by 1C. It took an hour for the T of NVM Ctl and NVM VNAND to return to ambient T.

Doing a "btrfs send -p parent child" command creates the child on the NVMe is under 10 seconds. The NVM Ctl shoots momentarily to around 50C for less than a minute and then drops back to ambient T. The NVM VNAND jumps from ambient T to about 30C and stays there for 5 to 10 minutes before returning to ambient T.

My advice: don't skimp on your NVMe heat sink!

PS: I used HD Sentinel to monitor my SSD's temps and lifetimes.
            Last edited by GreyGeek; Jun 29, 2022, 03:24 PM. Reason: typos
            "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
            – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

I was hoping the SSD would run cooler than the HDD and take a bit of the strain off my puny PSU.

There's plenty of air-space around the SSD.

We'll see how it goes.

The outside temps are around 36C recently but I have the air-conditioner blasting away!

Comment

Originally posted by Beerislife View Post
                I was hoping the SSD would run cooler than the HDD and take a bit of the strain off my puny PSU.

There's plenty of air-space around the SSD.

We'll see how it goes.

The outside temps are around 36C recently but I have the air-conditioner blasting away!
                The Samsung SSD 860 EVO 500GB which is my main drive operates at around 25 to 28C and its maximum temperature was 51C.

Your system will fly with an SSD as its main drive.
                "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
                – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

It does already I just want a bigger one....

I'm still thinking whether it's worth bumping up the memory from 16Gb to 32Gb. I'm not a big X-Plane user, I just fire it up occasionally...

Comment

Working...
                  X