This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A stroll down memory lane

I've been in the process of remodeling/renovating my house, and part of that has included going through old stuff I don't want or need any more. Talk about a stroll down memory lane! I've found everything from unopened boxes of CD-R (yes, I mean CD-R) discs to Zip disks in their very own caddy. Work files from 1997. All sorts of stuff!

But here's one of my favorites so far--the original, official, sent to me via snail mail, Ubuntu 5.04 discs! I ordered several (after I had tried it out myself) and handed them out to people I thought I could convert:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Ubuntu_504_front.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	318.6 KB
ID:	662124

Name:	Ubuntu_504_open.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	246.6 KB
ID:	662125

Name:	Ubuntu_504_back.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	356.1 KB
ID:	662126

What a watershed moment it was the first time I fired up Ubuntu. And quickly added KDE. That was it, from 5.04 onward, no other distro has been able to dethrone it as my default.
    Xenix/UNIX user since 1985 | Linux user since 1991 | Was registered Linux user #163544

April 2005! Those CDs are 17 years old this month, assuming you got them in April of 2005. Pretty amazing. Were they LiveCD's back then; Try before Install? It would be nostalgic if you popped then in and booted to them.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog View Post
      April 2005! Those CDs are 17 years old this month, assuming you got them in April of 2005. Pretty amazing. Were they LiveCD's back then; Try before Install?
      I didn't get them *in* April, but within a month or two. And if you look at the opened shot, you'll see that the disc on the right was live. So, yes, try before you buy, so to speak!

I love the blurb on the back saying you're legally entitled--and ENCOURAGED--to copy, share, give away the software. What a change from the M$ world!

It would be nostalgic if you popped then in and booted to them.
      Sure would....but I can't! I've cleared out all my old computers--and no longer have any with a CD or DVD drive! (I did intend to remove the DVD-RW drive from my last System76 laptop, and bought an external enclosure for it, but never got around to actually removing it.)
      Last edited by DoYouKubuntu; Apr 09, 2022, 02:57 PM.
      Xenix/UNIX user since 1985 | Linux user since 1991 | Was registered Linux user #163544

Comment

I seem to remember it was a big deal when the Ubuntu ISO became bigger than a CD-R.

Comment

Originally posted by Bings View Post
          I seem to remember it was a big deal when the Ubuntu ISO became bigger than a CD-R.
          I don't know! Version 5.04 was my first exposure to Ubuntu, and after downloading it to try, then I ordered several official packages to hand out. I'm happy to say that a few of the people I tried converting actually stuck with Linux, though not necessarily *buntu. But at least I got them off window$.

Comment

Working...
          X