This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

TWC There's a first time for everything

Long story made short: Used dd to write a Linux ISO (Siduction) to a 16GB USB Thumb Drive. Worked fine. Took awhile, but...

I issued the following command: sudo dd if="/home/paul/Downloads/siduction-21.3.0-wintersky-kde-amd64-202112231751.iso" of="/dev/sdb" status="progress" conv="fsync"

When the task was completed, I removed the USB thumb drive. Reinserting it resulted in...Nothing. The Device Notifier didn't pop-up. Tried both USB ports. Nada. Looked at dmesg. No entry plugging in or unplugging the device. 16GB USB Thumb Drive: "It's dead Jim!"

Now, I can't say that dd "destroyed" my "disk" (dd='disk destroyer'), but it certainly is coincidental!

Tried the thumb drive in my iMac. Still wasn't seen. Totally dead.

Just ordered ten 32GB Thumb Drives (PNY) from Amazon for $27.00! I don't remember how much I paid for the 16GB, but I'll bet it was more than that!
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

I'd check if the partition manager, or gparted can see it, before I threw it out. The device notifier is temperamental for me sometimes.
    ten 32GB Thumb Drives
    Using 32 GB drive for a 3 GB iso wastes 29 GB; I suggest using Ventoy, where you just copy the iso to the drive, and Ventoy gives a menu of the isos on the drive.
    Regards, John Little

Comment

I did. Nothing sees it when plugged in. On Linux and macOS systems. It’s dead.

Comment

USB2? I will guess so, at that price, maybe? I may need to stock up if they are USB 3.0

I have been using fewer USB sticks, but larger, faster 3.1 units lol
        https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
        I have been using a 64Gb one for quite some time (~3 years?), usually as the OS drive for dual booting various Chromebooks . I have had poor luck with the PNYs that I have purchased in recent years, but I have one truly ancient 4Gb PNY Attache that won't die. I am not sure how old it is exactly, but it has to be at least 6 years old, and probably closer to 8. I still use it, last time this past fall when I upgraded the nvme on my PC.

Comment

Yes, USB 2.0. But I’m okay with that.

Comment

I hardly dare to write it, but I once relived an USB-stick like you described with Windows. Could reformat it in that system. Did you try that?

Comment

Working...
            X