This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bendy View Post
    Since I'm a bit unhappy with the current drive by ubuntu to force snaps on us, I thought it was time to check out alternatives. Has anyone tried the kde flavour of Manjaro recently? Looking at their stable packages, kde/plasma seem to be up to date and the same versions I have on kubuntu 21.10 plus backports repo. They have a native firefox package, but it appears that Libreoffice is via a flatpak.
    I do not like rolling distros. I did try Manjaro. Went to holiday for 3-4 days and when I came back, there were 300+ upgrades waiting for me. Not my style. Otherwise it's OK.

Comment

Thanks for all the replies. I'm torn - apart from my Gentoo years I have always favoured debian-based distros all the way from my first experience with Corel Linux (showing my age). Of course back in those days dependency hell was a thing, particularly for rpm-based distros and apt seemed the much superior package format. But moving key packages that I use every single day to a packaging/sandboxing system that actually slows things down seems like a step backwards.

Comment

Originally posted by bendy View Post
        Thanks for all the replies. I'm torn - apart from my Gentoo years I have always favoured debian-based distros all the way from my first experience with Corel Linux (showing my age). Of course back in those days dependency hell was a thing, particularly for rpm-based distros and apt seemed the much superior package format. But moving key packages that I use every single day to a packaging/sandboxing system that actually slows things down seems like a step backwards.
        If you are worried about Firefox specifically, it's available both as a flatpak and you can download it and run it from any folder on your computer with far less hassle that it would take you to install and learn a new operating system.

Comment

Yes, it's possible to use debs, and snaps, and flatpaks, and tarballs to install software on your distro. In my opinion, pick one or two, use them wisely, make sure you are covered with respect to security updates and function updates. Then, please, just enjoy and try not to be overwhelmed with system administrivia.

The next brick house on the left
          Intel i7 11th Gen | 16GB | 1TB | KDE Plasma 5.24.7 | Kubuntu 22.04.4 | 6.5.0-28-generic

Comment

Manjaro broke a couple of times on me. MX is very stable but at this moment the kde is version 5.20. This version will not be updated until the next MX22 which is probably in October 2023.

Comment

Originally posted by jlittle View Post
              It's what ext4 doesn't do.
              Exactly!

"A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
              – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Working...
              X