This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

TWC Filing IRS taxes

Has anyone using Kubuntu filed their US tax forms electronically? if so, what browser? More specifically, using the "Free File Fillable Forms."
    This page states IRS guidelines:
    https://www.irs.gov/e-file-providers...fillable-forms

I'm just curious. I have always filed the old-fashion way, on paper, through USPS (registered, return receipt). Seems to be a push toward e-filing now. I also get the impression they don't have the staff to process all the paper forms. (Last year, they got and cashed my check, but they lost my forms! )

Your thoughts?
    Last edited by Snowhog; Feb 23, 2022, 10:50 AM.
    An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

I utilize the IRS (Federal) and State Revenue Department e-forms (fillable PDFs), saving them to my PC and opening them from there, filling them out, saving, printing, and sending in via the U.S. Postal Service. I've never used an on-line filing service to do and submit my taxes.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Yeah, I do almost the same thing, except by handwriting! ... I download forms, print them, and fill them in using a pen, then send them in USPS.
      The IRS guidelines call for "Operating Systems:Windows and Mac only" for e-filing.

Frankly, I'm not yet really comfortable e-filing like that, but I am curious, and friends tell me they also feel the push in that direction.
      An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

If I 'HAD' to file on-line, I'd only do so if the service was provided DIRECTLY by the IRS (Federal Filing) or the State. If the service was outsourced, I would not.

Comment

If I 'HAD' to file on-line, I'd only do so if the service was provided DIRECTLY by the IRS
          Yeah, I also feel that way. And there is that option to use (free website) services of a list of approved firms. My issue with this kind of thing (besides security/privacy/etc.) is this: If all goes well, smoothly, then it might be the best thing since Hershey's chocolate bars. But what if something slips, goes wrong, errors (to be corrected or changes to be made), missing paper docs not separately submitted correctly, etc. Then all hell breaks loose in your life getting it communicated and straightened out correctly, in a timely fashion.

Comment

Ultimately, my 'preference' would be to abolish the IRS and do away with ALL income taxes. Let earners keep 100% of what they earn. Then implement a national 10% Sales Tax, applicable to ANYONE making purchases in the U.S. And by ANYONE I mean anyone, citizens and non-citizens alike. Spend money here, pay the Sales Tax. And, have no exclusions. Anything purchased is subject to the Sales Tax. And there is no purchase limit exclusion. Want to buy a $10,000,000.00 mega yacht? Go right ahead, but you will pay the Sales Tax on the entire amount.

The idea here is that (U.S. Citizens and Legal Resident Aliens) get to decide how much to give to the Feds based on their choices in purchases. I could elaborate, but I think you can understand the premise. It's idealistic, I do understand, and is something that won't ever be put into place. Taxes equal power and control (control mostly) of the populace.

Comment

I see wealthy people/companies pay little or nothing. When I then see a shade-tree mechanic or a woodworker, working in their garage, making a little freelance "extra" cash on the side, I say "Good for you!" all the way! No, it ain't fair, that's for sure.

Comment

And that's all because the Tax Code is written to benefit the wealthy.

Comment

Might want to try https://opensource.com/article/20/2/open-source-taxes I wasn't able to get it to work a couple of years ago, but maybe it's improved now.

Comment

Working...
                  X