• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ubuntu 22.04 *may* disable os-prober

https://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2021/12/...ux-distros-fix
    and
    https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ub...er/041769.html

From the second link:
    os-prober is disabled with the grub 2.06 upload, which is obviously a bit controversial and the outcome is not necessarily in the best interest of our users.

# Reasons

os-prober is inherently insecure as it mounts all partitions on your disk using grub-mount to check them for other OS, which is not a nice thing to do as root as you can exploit bugs in the filesystem code easily.
    Kubuntu 20.04

https://www.kubuntuforums.net/forum/...ge3#post658943

Being pre-pre-pre release, 22.04's grub is still using upstream's default settings.
    Should be remedied well before release time.

The usual internet exaggeration, or at best reading more into it than is actually there.
    I mean, why weren't such news articles written 6 months back, when this grub version hit Arch, lol!

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh View Post
      The usual internet exaggeration, or at best reading more into it than is actually there.
      I mean, why weren't such news articles written 6 months back, when this grub version hit Arch, lol!
      I understood the link from which I quoted to be more of a "soliciting ideas" by a Canonical employee rather than click-bait.

Anyway, I have Arch-based EndeavourOS running Sway on another laptop and the devs of that OS have reactivated os-prober, FWIW.
      Kubuntu 20.04

Comment

The site is called omgubuntu

I don't really understand the reason. Shouldn't they fix the "bugs in the filesystem code" instead. Has anyone actually had problems from os-prober?

Comment

Originally posted by Bings View Post

The site is called omgubuntu

I don't really understand the reason. Shouldn't they fix the "bugs in the filesystem code" instead. Has anyone actually had problems from os-prober?
          The grub devs made the change not Ubuntu. They deem that the way os-prober works is a theoretically potential security issue, as it mounts all disks as root when it is run. Many other, non-Debian-like distros only use it during the install process.
          But early distro release development is a good time to discuss alternatives , even if they ultimately decide to re-enable it.

Comment

Originally posted by chimak111 View Post
            I understood the link from which I quoted to be more of a "soliciting ideas" by a Canonical employee rather than click-bait.
            The OMG!ubunbtu article is quite clickbait-y if not simply sensationalized, for views and shares --- it worked, didn't it

Standard procedures and processes used during the development cycles for this sort of topic are big nothingburgers.
            Unless they decide on some stupid route to take of course Then, it is worth being clickbaited all to heck and back

Comment

Working...
            X