This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by kubicle View Post
    He hasn't seen the light...he is just making room for new blunders. We've seen the guy doesn't learn from his mistakes.
    That is most unfortunate. It only occurred to me this morning when I remembered the bad blood associated with Steve Riley's departure from Canonical in 2012 and the eventual departure of their support for KDE which was taken up by Blue Systems late that year.

With the change of approach by SABDFL, I would think an apology would be appropriate to the members who were hurt by his initial approach to Unity and MIR.

Now there is a new group of developers who would be upset by the change of direction. Unfortunately this is the worst example of changing direction as it involves a total reversal of approach rather than by building on what has been learnt.

I was involved in a software development project over 20 years ago where we changed from PDP11 computers to VAX and this involved a re-host followed by further development. I found this easy to take rather than the alternative to ditch what had been done followed by a new design.

Comment

Really good article came out today regarding this topic, saying this move by Canonical is only the start.

There might be more to this story than the cloud versus the desktop, however. A shakeup appears to be in the works at Canonical.
      Source: Canonical's Dropping of Unity Is Only the Iceberg's Tip
      ​"Keep it between the ditches"
      K*Digest Blog
      K*Digest on Twitter

Comment

Originally posted by dequire View Post
        Really good article came out today regarding this topic, saying this move by Canonical is only the start.

"This means the desktop edition is probably destined to eventually be dropped, especially since users will have the numerous independently developed (and officially sanctioned) "baby *buntus" as options."

On #kubuntu-devel & #kubuntu on libera.chat - IRC Nick: RikMills - Launchpad ID: click

Comment

Originally posted by NoWorries View Post
          That is most unfortunate. It only occurred to me this morning when I remembered the bad blood associated with Steve Riley's departure from Canonical in 2012 and the eventual departure of their support for KDE which was taken up by Blue Systems late that year.
          Steve never worked for Canonical. After 11 years he left Microsoft for Google, was pulled away to River Something and when it was bought out he went to Gartner, where he is currently. He hasn't been around much lately and is sorely missed. I'be met a lot of very smart people in my day and he is one of the smartest.
          "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
          – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek View Post
            Steve never worked for Canonical. After 11 years he left Microsoft for Google, was pulled away to River Something and when it was bought out he went to Gartner, where he is currently. He hasn't been around much lately and is sorely missed. I'be met a lot of very smart people in my day and he is one of the smartest.
            Yes you are right. I double checked and it was Steve Riley who was asking members to support Jonathan Riddell in response to the actions of the Ubuntu Community Council who treated him non-professionally. The reference to this is found here. https://www.kubuntuforums.net/showthread.php?68305-ISupportJonathan&highlight=SteveRile

Last edited by NoWorries; Apr 09, 2017, 08:37 PM.

Comment

Working...
            X