This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Been there, done that!
    BTW, looks like we visit the same barber!

Maybe in another post you could share your views about the Pick database and its multi-value columns, which totally destroys the 3rd Normal form rule. I used Advanced Revelation, which featured an MV DB combined with a dialect of BASIC. The dictionary was separate from the data tables, and allowed easy modifications of table definitions. One of my clients used it on a DOS platform for 16 years, up until he retired and closed his business. I enjoyed using ARev, but its GUI stepchild, OpenInsight, was much slower and took a decade to make usable, but by that time I was teaching physics & math in college.
    Last edited by GreyGeek; Apr 12, 2017, 03:49 PM.
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek View Post
      the term "Dude", which I haven't heard in decades. Probably not since college fifty years ago. Reminds me of Happy Days.

Dude! I say 'dude" just about every day

Comment

Back in the day (e.g., growing up in the 1950's), you didn't hear much use of "dude," used only on occasion and when used, it really meant something special. Now, among younger generations (I'd say anyone in their mid-40's or younger), you hear dude all the time, sometimes a dozen times in one conversation. Hey dude, come on over for a beer and a pizza this afternoon. Yeah, dude, that's sounds good. See ya then dude.

The meaning of dude has evolved,

Dude is an American English slang term[1] for an individual. It typically applies to men, although the word can encompass either sex.

Dude is an old term, recognized by multiple generations although potentially with slightly different meanings.[2] From the 1870s to the 1960s, dude primarily meant a person who dressed in an extremely fashionable manner (a dandy) or a citified person who was visiting a rural location but stuck out (a city slicker). In the 1960s, dude evolved to mean any male person, a meaning that slipped into mainstream American slang in the 1970s. Current slang retains at least some use of all three of these common meanings.
        https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dude

I don't use it because it seems awkward coming from me at my age (68). But younger people around me use it all the time. I may use it for humor/emphasis/satire/comic relief when shooting the bull with someone my age, but rarely even then. I'm still not used to its modern usage.

Just like when you thank a younger person for doing something on your behalf, and they say, "No problem." They mean, "you're welcome," but it sounds to me like it IS a problem for them to have helped/served me! To the brain, "no problem" doesn't quite register as "you're welcome." But that's modern slang for ya.
        An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Originally posted by Qqmike View Post
          ... Just like when you thank a younger person for doing something on your behalf, and they say, "No problem." They mean, "you're welcome,"...
          Celebrating KFN's practice of going off topic...

That's interesting to me, not being American. I've always found "You're welcome" formulaic, slightly servile, and a little bit unfriendly. I've resented it as another piece of American cultural imperialism. ("No problem" sounds like a tour guide.) As I was raised, thanks did not require a response, but these days we mix it up, "no worries", "it was nothing", "don't mention it" or even "cheers". "Chur" is NZ youth culture. With Europeans I might even venture a "bitte" or "c'est rien". It's more polite to avoid formulas.

After your report I wonder if global English is coming to the US.

John Little
          Last edited by jlittle; Apr 12, 2017, 10:33 PM. Reason: qualify chur
          Regards, John Little

Comment

Since the 1980s American TV news programs used talking heads that were specifically chosen for their neutral "Mid-West" accent. That accent has spread all over the nation and reduced regional dialects considerably. it has also spread the use of popular idioms. However, I never heard a newscaster refer to anyone using "dude".
            "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
            – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

One of the reasons that American networks like Canadian anchors like Peter Jennings. The Canadian accent is pretty much the same as the American mid-west. We even say 'pop' instead of 'soda' like the mid-west.

Comment

Working...
              X