X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

kubuntu on a bay trail tablet

Got one of these -

2016 NuVision 8-inch Full HD (1920 x 1200) IPS Touchscreen Tablet PC, Intel Atom Z3735F Quad-Core Processor, 2GB RAM, 32GB SSD eMMC, Webcam, WIFI, Windows 10, Silver

and one of these -

Nvidia Shield Tablet keyboard case, COOPER TOUCHPAD EXECUTIVE 2-in-1 Wireless Bluetooth Keyboard Mouse Leather Travel Cases Cover Holder Folio Portfolio + Stand Nvidia Shield Tablet (Black)

and after extensive research learned that linuxium appears to be the subject matter expert on this weird little 64-bit tablet with a 32-bit EFI.

I used the Kubuntu 16.04.2 image which has drivers for wireless, bluetooth and sound. Took me a couple of tries before I figured out that the installer needed a "nomodeset" to run but after that the installer ran just fine.

Kubuntu booted fine with the custom 4.10 kernel and so far everything seems to work; the screen currently refuses to rotate but I'm pretty confident I can either fix that or force landscape orientation.

Haven't played with it much as battery was getting low; I did notice one kernel panic on shutdown that I'll look at later. Booting does require nomodeset as a kernel argument but it works.

This is a quirky little tablet that can't draw enough power from a USB port to run and charge at the same time and the USB port can be used for charging or data but not both at the same time.

If you're interested in buying one read all the reviews and Q&A - it's a cool little tablet but it does have limitations
    we see things not as they are, but as we are.
    -- anais nin

meh. Gave it up.

All hardware worked except that screen rotation requires KMS and the machine won't boot without disabling same; both KDE and xrandr refused to rotate the screen, which is still stuck in portrait mode. I could probably force landscape in xorg.conf but then the screen still wouldn't rotate.

Restoring Win10 from backup. We'll try again in awhile
    we see things not as they are, but as we are.
    -- anais nin

Comment

So close, yet so far. The MS hegemony is still functioning.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
      – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Working...
      X