Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Updated my 10 yr old grandson's Kubuntu this afternoon.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I had installed Kubuntu 14.04 on his Toshiba Skullcandy laptop almost a year ago. His dad, my son, hadn't upgrade it and my grandson wasn't happy with the performance. When he was dropped off today at noon I had them bring his laptop along so I could make his Minecraft mod configuration identical to mine so we could reestablish remote play on more than just a vanilla map.

When I ran "sudo apt update & sudo apt dist-upgrade" on his box 906 packages came down the pipe, including Plasma 5.8.5. I then proceeded to set up his Minecraft mods to be like mine. With forge, liteloader and optifine his fps was a steady 60 (vsync) and the 26 mods worked perfectly. I set Xms at 2GB and Xmn at 512MB. A lower Xms caused the forge loader to crash before completing its work. He started playing as a single player using a new map and then opened it up to me. I logged on and his Minecraft instance continued to work flawlessly at the same speed.

We enjoyed 3 hours of mortal combat, when we weren't killing zombies to protect a village!
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

nice one ,,,,,,,,,gotta love grandkids

VINNY
    i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
    16GB RAM
    Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Yesterday he tried to connect to my server from his home. The default setting for Minecraft in ufw would NOT allow an IPv4 connection. "sudo netstat -ad" would show only the IPv6 25565 port listening. I ended up having to create a DMZ on my 192.168.1.100 LAN address. Then my grandson could connect to my Minecraft server. The down side? My HD access delay would create lag in his 50-60 fps display when new chunks were loaded AND my 192.168.1.100:25565 port got hit so hard by bots it would time out his connection, and that was with the ufw & router firewall active. IPtables DROP doesn't drop when DMZ gives the OK. Mohammed's and the others bots could not get in because they weren't in my whitelist but rejecting their attempts lagged my grandson's connection.
      After I get the new HD setup I'm going to change the port number of my Minecraft server to another number.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      Last edited by GreyGeek; Mar 19, 2017, 08:00 AM.
      "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
      – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Working...
      X