This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chrome 56 Spyware

Chrome 56 added a Bluttooth Iot Trojan Spyware. It will secretly scan local Bluetooth devices (IoT, smartphones, monitors,etc) and send back a report to Google, even if you do not have a Google account.

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2017/0...th_snitch_api/
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

I read the article and got the impression from the comments that the issue was being overblown, in that browsers can and do collect a lot of information already.

One of the reasons I use Firefox is that Mozilla's interests and mine line up better; Mozilla is on my side w.r.t. advertisers.
    Regards, John Little

Comment

Originally posted by jlittle View Post

One of the reasons I use Firefox is that Mozilla's interests and mine line up better; Mozilla is on my side w.r.t. advertisers.
      The Brave browser does a good job of blocks ads too.
      "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”

Comment

@GG I guess it depends on what you mean by "secretly".

...users have to allow connection with a touch or a mouse click. To reiterate: as a user, you have to explicitly grant the remote web app access to your Bluetooth gadgets before anything happens.
        So I guess it's still a "buyer beware" kind of world.

Comment

I haven't gotten around to trying Brave yet, but I refuse to have Google anything on my computer. Too much spying as so many have commented. Wanted to get rid of my Google and Youtube accounts, but then got hooked into doing videos again, so on well. lol As for my browser, it's entirely Firefox until I find something better. Of course, that better will probably turn out to be Brave. But I won't know until I get this rig upgraded to 16.04 and 64 bit as I'm still running an old 32 bit version. And that's not because I'm on an old 32 bit rig as this is a big meaty i7, but rather because when I installed 14.04 the 64 bit apps weren't mature enough to my liking to make the leap to 64 at that time. By now they are, so I will be making that leap with 16.04.

Comment

Originally posted by megosdog View Post
            ... Wanted to get rid of my Google and Youtube accounts, but then got hooked into doing videos again, so on well. lol ....
            You can upload your vids to VidMe or Viemo. Not as many users ... yet ... but folks are dumping Google, YT, Facebook, Twitter and Reddit because of their stance against free speech. I was all in on Google & YT but when they started censoring anything that didn't agree with Hillary I dropped them all. Haven't missed them, either. I replaced G+ with Gab.ai which is a true free speech site which has both #Alt-Left & #Alt-Right posts, plus the whole spectrum in between. LiveLeak.com replaced YT. After dumping MS dumping anything else was easy peazy!

Comment

Hmm, I've looked into Vimeo before and liked it, but haven't made the plunge yet. Never heard of VidMe though. Might try that,

Comment

There is also videoleaks.org

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                X