This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can not see who is on line wo logging in first

I noticed what appears to be a change in the forum mechanicals.

Previously:
    I could open kubuntuforums, not log in, click on the Forum tab at top (What's New--Articles--Forum), scroll way down, and I could see what members are on-line.

Now (the past few days or so):
    This won't work unless I log in first. If I don't log in, if I remain a "visitor," I do not see who else is on-line.

Is this a change in how the forum is set up?

BTW, at first, I didn't object to the required format of the Title. But now, I see I can NOT say this in my Title:
    Can't see who's on-line w/o first logging in.
    (It contains two ', one -, and one / .)

Not the end of the world, just annoying and it results in a longer Title.
    An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Yes, I changed who could view Who's Logged On a little while ago. No biggie. I just set that back to 'Yes'. (I hadn't considered that some might decide to (or not to) log in based on who else might also be logged in)

I've been keeping an eye on the comments concerning the Post/Thread Title change. I've modified the allowed characters to include a comma (,), a slash (/), and a hyphen (-).
    Last edited by Snowhog; Jan 01, 2017, 06:35 PM.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

I've been keeping an eye on the comments concerning the Post/Thread Title change. I've modified the allowed characters to include a comma (,), a slash (/), and a hyphen (-).
      Nice. Thanks.

some might decide to (or not to) log in based on who else might also be logged in)
      No big thing for me, either way, whatever is optimal for everyone. At my age, the thinking and dexterity required to type in my credentials is good brain exercise for me
      An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

But I can't seem to display smileys as a graphical, only as a text ... I've even un-checked Disable Smileys in Text (under Advanced). This is a continuing issue for me.

Here, ad hoc, I'll try one:

Now I'll post to see what happens.

Comment

Nope, it didn't go.

Comment

Graphical smilies work for me.

I'm logged in on my iPad, so Safari browser. Same on my desktop iMac, also Safari. But the same is true; graphical smilies display; using Firefox and my Kubuntu installations.

Comment

Ok, trial ...

Comment

Huh, well, I'm at a loss. The smileys haven't been posting correctly in my posts either, this past few weeks.

I click Reply.
                Go Advanced.
                I un-check Disable Smileys in Text.
                Then I type my post, including smileys (using the menu bar).
                I Preview it, and it looks OK: smileys display as they should.
                I post it, and it shows text only, no graphical smileys.

A mystery.

Here's another one:

Comment

What!? Post #8 worked OK for that dunce smiley... ?!?!?

Comment

This hit-and-miss is exactly what I've been experiencing with this, for the past few weeks. I saw at least one other poster indicating the same issue (but I didn't bookmark it and so won't be able to find it at the moment).

Hmmm ...

Comment

Firefox, btw.

Edit:
                      added this smiley:

The Preview looks OK.
                      Now, I'll post it ...

Edit (again, after posting that smiley):

It didn't go!
                      Last edited by Qqmike; Jan 01, 2017, 08:43 PM.

Comment

(see Post 11 for another test)

Comment

Originally posted by Qqmike View Post
                          Firefox, btw.

Edit:
                          added this smiley:

The Preview looks OK.
                          Now, I'll post it ...

Edit (again, after posting that smiley):

It didn't go!
                          I looked at this post (Edit Post) and clicked on Go Advanced and it shows that the Disable Smilies in Text option "is" checked, so graphical smilies wouldn't show.

The reason it is showing here, in the quoted text, is because for me, the Disable Smilies in Text option is not checked.

Comment

Test.

I clicked Reply.
                            Then very first thing, I clicked Go Advanced.
                            Un-checked Disable Smileys.

Now, trying a smiley:

Now will post this (Disable smileys is still un-checked).
                            Last edited by Qqmike; Jan 01, 2017, 09:17 PM.

Comment

So that worked. Now, I'm wondering if it might depend on the sequence.
                              For example,
                              Click Reply.
                              Type some words.
                              Go Advanced.
                              Un-check disable smileys.
                              Try a smiley,
                              and post it ...
                              it definitely sometimes will NOT work that way, as I have tried it many times.

I'll try now ... Go Advanced ... Un-check it ... and try this smiley:

It looks OK. Now I'll post it ...

Comment

Working...
                              X