This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thankful

Tomorrow, here in the U.S., we celebrate Thanksgiving. I'm not one to give in to dissecting a celebratory days past to cast dark shadows on it today. If such behavior were to be normalized and become a fully accepted practice, we would have nothing to be thankful for.

I have much to be thankful for, and not just to be celebrated tomorrow. I'm healthy (even though aging is taking its normal toll). I have family who love me. I have a home, which is more than the roof over my head and the bed I sleep in. I have a retirement income which is 'sufficient' for my current needs (wants are another matter however!). I have medical insurance that is actually rather decent, again, for my current needs, and doesn't cost me an arm-and-a-leg. I have this community, KFN, which I enjoy participating in a lot.

I could, as unfortunately so many people do, focus on what I don't have or have lost, and be less content than I am (or could be), but I choose not to do so. That's a road I do not wish to travel on.

So, I extend to everyone here in KFN a heartfelt Happy Thanksgiving. May it find you in the good company of family and/or friends.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Hear Hear @Snowhog ,,, I like that outlook on life ,,,,,,,and try to aspire to it as well .

and a Happy Thanksgiving to you and all .

VINNY
    i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
    16GB RAM
    Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

And the same to you, Snowhog!
      BTW, how old are you?
      (I'm 75, beyond the "three score and ten" and testing the "by reason of strength four score".)
      Like you I am very thankful that my bride of 54 years survived two major operations and allows me the privilege of her company. We sold our home but live in a nice apartment on a great campus, and our income meets our needs, but we won't be visiting Hawaii or taking a Disney Cruise. Humana worked well with our medical needs, and I mention them deliberately as a shout-out. It could have been much worse if we had been forced to use ObamaCare. My daughter has invited us over for Thanksgiving dinner and my son has taken his family to dine with his wife's siblings and father in Columbus, Ohio.

A Happy Thanksgiving to everyone!

God is good!
      "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
      – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

I'm short of 60. I retired 'young', and am extremely grateful for having been able to do so; I would not have survived if I had been forced to stay until "normal" retirement age. In fact, that wouldn't have happened; I would either have had a nervous breakdown or would have had no other choice but to resign.
        Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
        "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Working for a gov agency is like doing the Chinese fire drill every day, but I really enjoyed my programming job and planned to work until I was 72, but then I had green laser surgery in 2006. In Nov of 2007 my wife had her first heart valve operation and after she was on her feet again I retired in June of 2008. I've really enjoyed retirement. Like you, one of my favorite activities is logging onto KFN and paying it forward. A super nice bunch of folks hang out here.
          "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”

Comment

Yep, happy Thanksgiving Snowhog & everyone. Grateful to have "enough" of life's necessities, no excesses here, and no excesses wanted. As you age (as I age, I should say, at 67), one thing becomes crystal clear: material things don't mean a whole lot and have almost no effect on happiness. It's the simple stuff that really does count. And ... best to take one day at a time, and really enjoy it!
            An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

green laser surgery
              the kind for BPH?
              An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

@ Snowhog and KFN

Happy Thanksgiving!!

Comment

May you all have a safe and enjoyable Thanksgiving Day. I have so much to be thankful for to include you guys for those times when I get curious and "click here to download / install".
                  Kubuntu 14.04 / KDE 4.13.3 / GRUB Version: 0.97-29ubuntu66
                  HP15 -
                  -f033wm Laptop / CPU: Intel / GPU: Intel Corporation Atom Processor / RAM: 8GB / Hard Drive: 1 each / Seagate / Optical Drive: HP DVDRW GUB0N / Windows 10

Comment

Not a special day for us here over the pond but I wish you all a happy Thanksgiving.

About to hit three score and ten, still working part-time but it keeps me fit, though for what I don't yet know!.

Comment

Happy thanks giving to everyone!
                      I am also 75, retired, married to my Dutch bride since 1971 and like GG worked for a State agency for 32 years. I am also thankful and appreciative of my health, comfortable life and the joy of retirement. God bless!

Comment

Originally posted by Qqmike View Post
                        the kind for BPH?
                        Yup. Worked great, still working although not as well because I've put on 15 pounds, but I don't have urgencies, day or night. For me it was essentially painless. At 67 have you retired yet, Qqmike?
                        Last edited by GreyGeek; Nov 24, 2016, 12:45 PM.

Comment

I am surprised at how many "mature" members we have here on KFN! It's a good thing!

Comment

BPH ... Yup. Worked great, still working although not as well because I've put on 15 pounds, but I don't have urgencies, day or night. For me it was essentially painless.
                            Ditto here on all points. I noticed the weight factor (gaining and losing) has quite an effect on symptoms. The procedure was easy, esp. as I was already used to going through hell at the doc's office with all sorts of bph issues and procedures. They can't hurt me any more: I'm hurt-proof!

At 67 have you retired yet, Qqmike?
                            Yep, have been more or less since age 62; have had some limiting health issues, too, through the years. re the question, kind of semi-/quasi- as I still cut turquoise stones for (Native Am.) Indians (and artists, silversmiths, and SW jewelry manufacturers). It keeps me active, creative, gives me my "art" (a Nietszche-esque existential thing).

Comment

Originally posted by Qqmike View Post
                              Ditto here on all points. I noticed the weight factor (gaining and losing) has quite an effect on symptoms. The procedure was easy, esp. as I was already used to going through hell at the doc's office with all sorts of bph issues and procedures. They can't hurt me any more: I'm hurt-proof!
                              Qqmike, One of my college roommates found he had Prostate cancer this last week. He was given the oconoblat test, which tests for 28 different types of cancer markers found in the blood. Removing the Prostate has become a rather simple operation, especially using the Da Vinci robot, but even lesser forms of Laparoscopy surgery are minimally invasive. Unfortunately, he is caught up in "hollistic" medicine and is putting his future into the hands of a naturopathic doctor who is prescribing the Gearson Therapy. I begged and pleaded with him. I showed him an NIH study of 345 patients put on a controlled test of that therapy, which ended up "helping" only three, but not curing them. As a possible shock treatment I asked him two last questions: "Are you going to be buried or creamated, and what kind of flowers do you like?" To no avail. He believes it's all a conspiracy by big pharma and the gov to suppress the truth.

Unfortunately, my wife's best friend finally confided in her that during the previous year she had been bleeding from the uterus. When my wife told me I asked the woman if she had been to a doctor, knowing that she into the alt-med stuff too. She said yes, and her doctor said it was the body's way of eliminating toxins! I was stunned. I asked her who her doctor was and, like I suspected, he was a naturopathic doctor. I implored her to go see a real physician but she declined. That was in January of 2015. In the middle of February of 2015 she couldn't move her legs or get out of bed. She was taken to the emergency room by her husband, who was in his tenth year cancer free after having the surgical removal of a huge cancer from his left leg. The oncologist at the ER said that a cat scan revealed that the cancer had metastasized to her intestines, liver, kidneys, lungs, spine (why she couldn't walk) and brain. He sent her home to hospice and she died two weeks later, very painfully. Three months ago three more cancers appeared in his left leg. One was just beneath the floor of the abdominal cavity, but not in it. They removed his leg and 1/4th of his left hip. He now gets around in wheel chair which he disassembles himself when he drives places, and reassembles when he gets where he is going. A month ago a lump appeared on the back side of his neck. They removed it three weeks ago without complications and he's under going daily radiation therapy for six weeks. Apparently it was too small to resolve with a cat scan, or had only recently appeared. Regardless, he continues to maintain a healthy attitude and is seldom bothered by depression. His children and grandchildren help a lot in that regard.
                              Last edited by GreyGeek; Nov 24, 2016, 02:12 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X