This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Embrace, Extend, Extinguish?

Some of you may be too young to remember the Microsoft of the 1980s & 1990s. One of their techniques for destroying a competitor was to Embrace their technology, then Extend it in ways that were only compatible with and dependent on Windows, and when sufficient numbers of users had hopped on board, Extinguish the technology, leaving the users with only the Windows version.

Two years ago Microsoft bought Minecraft. I was worried that the "old" Microsoft would reveal itself by making it a Windows only game. However, the Java version of the game for Linux and Mac continued to be offered on Minecraft.net, even as Microsoft added an EXE version of the game for download.

It appears that Microsoft, having purchased Mojang/Minecraft, is extending it with "Add-ons" that will only work on the new Minecraft:Education Edition, based on the Minecraft:Windows 10 Edition which descended from the Pocket Edition of Minecraft. A discussion about it is here. The Java version, used by those who run Linux and Mac, will not be updated to use "Add-ons" (called "mods").

The Microsoft FAQ for "Add-ons" is here. It states:
    • Will Add-Ons run on my version of Minecraft?

Add-Ons will work on any platform that runs the Windows 10 Edition Beta or Pocket Edition – you can even experience them in VR with the Gear VR Edition and on Oculus Rift with the Windows 10 Edition Beta. They’ll also work in multi-player and on Realms, so you can play with friends.
    They have Embraced the Minecraft jar version, this Add-on Extends it to be Windows only, and soon the jar version of Minecraft will not receive updates or new releases and will be allowed to fade away. I used to write in-house client-server code using Visual FoxPro. Then Microsoft bought it, moved coders to .NET, then extinguished VFP. So I've been through this before.

It looks like the Minecraft server jar files may fade into the sunset as well, and with them compatibility with Linux, unless you want to continue playing the game with the last jar release, until such time that Microsoft refused to acknowledge your login and you are forced to play it offline. It looks like they are going to monetize each and every little aspect of Minecraft, just as I thought they would, but only for those who are willing to buy Windows 10. They've just set up a git hub to document Add-ons.

Realms is a portal to Microsoft's Minecraft server farm, which costs about $7/month, or it did during the couple of months I and my grandsons tried it out earlier this spring. I found that deploying my own server was superior in that we could control what mods we wanted to add to the server, who and how many could play on it, and how it was backed up.

I haven't told my grandson yet. We'll probably just do more fishing!
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Even in the Tolkien books..... the all seeing eye..... subverted the uninformed....

Microsoft, to me will be ...to me....microsith....microshaft....

YES the UBER LIBERALS..........they DO NOT UNDERSTAND EINSTEIN.......

all thing ARE NOT....relative.....

there really ARE BAD PEOPLE....

I SEEE EVIL ON DAILY BASIS....

WE NEED VOLUNTEERS...........

WE NEEED VOLUNTEERS......

PLEASE....download Kali and try to access the cd....YOU.....could hold Sting...

woodpleadingsmoke
    sigpic
    Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Comment

Microsoft joins The Linux Foundation as a Platinum member

http://go.newsfusion.com/open-source/item/770089

At last. We are saved!

Comment

They are not on the corporate membership list yet!
        Considering the names already on the list and supporting and inputing into the development of the Linux kernel, Microsoft is doing it out of necessity, the need to survive. Linux is eating the digital environment alive. About the only place where it hasn't captured the majority of the market is desktop gaming. However, if my Neon installation, running an NVidia 640M GPU with nvidia-prime and nvidia-370 is any example, that environment will fall soon.

I doubt that the other corporate members, or the Linux dev team, or Linus Torvalds, would allow Microsoft to "Extend" so as to "Extinguish". I see it the other way around. By embracing Microsoft has fallen into the arms of the Linux octopus.
        "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”

Comment

Originally posted by ianp5a View Post
          Microsoft joins The Linux Foundation as a Platinum member

http://go.newsfusion.com/open-source/item/770089

At last. We are saved!
          Hmmm... And so the waiting Trojans have seen their wooden horse taken within the gates. Why do I suspect that there is a party going on in Redmond and we were not invited? What's the saying? "Keep your friends close and your enemies closer"...
          Kubuntu 23.11 64bit under Kernel 6.8.8, Hp Pavilion, 6MB ram. All Bow To The Great Google... cough, hack, gasp.

Comment

I wonder....

I wonder if, in hindsight, Notch has regrets about selling out to Microsoft? It's well documented that he's publicly lamented the sale of Mojang to Microsoft. I know he likely did not consider the long-term ramifications of his baby's ability in the future to run on all non-MS platforms. What would you have done?

I'm still enjoying Minecraft and likely will for as long as I can. Either way, I bought the game during Alpha for $10 like 5 years ago. No regrets there.
            ​"Keep it between the ditches"
            K*Digest Blog
            K*Digest on Twitter

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek View Post
              I doubt that the other corporate members, or the Linux dev team, or Linus Torvalds, would allow Microsoft to "Extend" so as to "Extinguish".
              Some forms of EEE do not require cooperation of the bodies controlling the target. Internet Explorer was an example of EEE that made a lot of progress.
              Regards, John Little

Comment

A lot of progress? I'd say a lot of havoc which IE/Edge still causes. IMO.

Comment

Lest we forget the kind of company we are talking about here:

http://techrights.org/2016/12/05/no-...ft-post-alice/

The game plan has not changed...
                  Kubuntu 23.11 64bit under Kernel 6.8.8, Hp Pavilion, 6MB ram. All Bow To The Great Google... cough, hack, gasp.

Comment

Nope, it has not:
                    “They want software patents restored so that they can carry on blackmailing software companies (usually with Linux/Android) at greater ease.”
                    IIRC, Microsoft posted $5.6 BILLION in revenues from their Android "tax". That is much more than what they made from selling their WinPhones. The amazing fact is that IF Linux/Android violated Microsoft patents then how come Microsoft has not used their "own" IP to write competitive smartphone OS's? Or simply "take back" Android and market it as their own? They can't because of the GPL, and they know it. Thus, their continued attempt to undo "Alice".

Regardless, the USTPO continues to ignore the Alice SCOTUS ruling and issue software patents like there is no tomorrow. Easy to see why. Patent applications usually cost a minimum of $10,000 or more, each. And, it doesn't take a patent "examiner" experienced in software arts to just blindly issue a software patent.
                    Last edited by GreyGeek; Dec 06, 2016, 06:43 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X